You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

‘Fantastic Four’ Director Says the Studio Wrecked His Movie

Director Josh Trank suggested on Thursday that he wasn’t responsible for the final cut of “Fantastic Four,” which has been widely panned by critics prior to its Friday release.

“A year ago I had a fantastic version of this. And it would’ve received great reviews,” he wrote of the 20th Century Fox and Marvel pic. “You’ll probably never see it. That’s reality though.”

The tweet was quickly deleted from his account.

A spokesman for Fox could not be reached for comment.

Fantastic Four,” starring Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Jamie Bell and Michael B. Jordan, has only a 9% fresh rating on RottenTomatoes. Variety critic Brian Lowry wrote that it “feels like a protracted teaser for a more exciting follow-up…that might never happen.”

Trank, who previously directed “Chronicle” for Fox, was scheduled to shoot a “Star Wars” spinoff next for Disney and Lucasfilm but abruptly left the project earlier this year. He later explained his departure, saying that he needed a break from high-profile movies.

“I want to do something original after this because I’ve been living under public scrutiny, as you’ve seen, for the last four years of my life,” he said. “And it’s not healthy for me right now in my life. I want to do something that’s below the radar.”

Speculation emerged following the announcement that Trank been fired from the “Star Wars” film due to erratic behavior on the set of “Fantastic Four.”

“None of those facts were true,” he said. “And any of the facts that were true were spun in such a maliciously wrong way.”

“Fantastic Four,” which cost $120 million to produce, is still expected to debut to $40 million at the box office.

More Film

  • Oliver Sacks Documentary

    Film News Roundup: Paul Allen's Vulcan Productions Backs Oliver Sacks Documentary

    Director Josh Trank suggested on Thursday that he wasn’t responsible for the final cut of “Fantastic Four,” which has been widely panned by critics prior to its Friday release. “A year ago I had a fantastic version of this. And it would’ve received great reviews,” he wrote of the 20th Century Fox and Marvel pic. […]

  • The Disaster Artist

    AFI Fest Adds Galas for 'Call Me by Your Name,' 'Disaster Artist,' 'Hostiles'

    Director Josh Trank suggested on Thursday that he wasn’t responsible for the final cut of “Fantastic Four,” which has been widely panned by critics prior to its Friday release. “A year ago I had a fantastic version of this. And it would’ve received great reviews,” he wrote of the 20th Century Fox and Marvel pic. […]

  • Harvey Weinstein

    Colony Capital Has Three-Week Window to Avert Weinstein Co. Bankruptcy (EXCLUSIVE)

    Director Josh Trank suggested on Thursday that he wasn’t responsible for the final cut of “Fantastic Four,” which has been widely panned by critics prior to its Friday release. “A year ago I had a fantastic version of this. And it would’ve received great reviews,” he wrote of the 20th Century Fox and Marvel pic. […]

  • Boo 2! A Madea Halloween

    Box Office: 'Boo 2! A Madea Halloween' to Blow Away 'Geostorm' in Slow Weekend

    Director Josh Trank suggested on Thursday that he wasn’t responsible for the final cut of “Fantastic Four,” which has been widely panned by critics prior to its Friday release. “A year ago I had a fantastic version of this. And it would’ve received great reviews,” he wrote of the 20th Century Fox and Marvel pic. […]

  • Lionsgate Unveils "The World of The

    Lionsgate Unveils World's First 'Hunger Games' Theme Park

    Director Josh Trank suggested on Thursday that he wasn’t responsible for the final cut of “Fantastic Four,” which has been widely panned by critics prior to its Friday release. “A year ago I had a fantastic version of this. And it would’ve received great reviews,” he wrote of the 20th Century Fox and Marvel pic. […]

  • Lawyer: Weinstein Rape Accuser's "Biggest Regret

    Lawyer: Weinstein Rape Accuser's 'Biggest Regret Is Opening That Door'

    Director Josh Trank suggested on Thursday that he wasn’t responsible for the final cut of “Fantastic Four,” which has been widely panned by critics prior to its Friday release. “A year ago I had a fantastic version of this. And it would’ve received great reviews,” he wrote of the 20th Century Fox and Marvel pic. […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content