Dwayne Johnson to Star in ‘Big Trouble in Little China’ Remake

Dwayne Johnson Big Trouble in Little
Albert L. Ortega/Getty

Following the box office success of “San Andreas,” star Dwayne Johnson is in negotiations to star in a remake of ’80s cult classic “Big Trouble in Little China” for 20th Century Fox, sources tell Variety.

Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz are penning the script with Johnson and his producing partners Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia on board to produce through their 7 Bucks Entertainment banner.

The original starred Kurt Russell as Jack Burton, a trucker who gets dragged into a centuries-old mystical battle in Chinatown between warring clans. The pic was directed by “Halloween” helmer John Carpenter and, while not a huge commercial success, went on to amass a cult following over the years.

Besides “San Andreas,” which brought in more than $100 million at the global box office in its opening weekend, Johnson also returned to form as Agent Hobbs in “Furious 7,” which became the first film to cross the billion-dollar milestone at the worldwide box office this year.

Johnson also has a new TV show, “Ballers,” bowing on June 21 on HBO, and the star is currently filming “Central Intelligence” for New Line. He is repped by WME.

The news was first reported by the Wrap.

1. kcwilsonii says:

I think they have seriously underestimated the fan base on this one.

2. kcwilsonii says:

I like Dwayne Johnson, but there is only one Jack Burton. Make a sequel with the real Jack Burton and make Dwayne his buddy or something. I will NOT go see a remake of this movie or even rent it.

3. Ignacio says:

If you make this, I’ll hang myself! Are you guys f’in serious right now?!? Why the hell would you screw with this cult classic?!? Why?????? I was 15 when this movie came out, and it was the greatest thing I’d ever seen! Funny as all hell! And we got an extremely cool Mortal Kombat character from this…Raiden. Make your money another way, Hollywood. Here’s a little word for you…it’s called ORIGINALITY!! Get some.

4. Luke says:

Please for love of everything holy, do not do this. All the remakes of good movies have been crap. How about a new original idea? Or is that too much of a stretch for Hollywood these days? I still quote this movie with my older brother, and we are in our mid to late 30’s. I can’t handle Hollywood putting another knife in the heart of my childhood movie favorites.

5. Steve says:

WTF? Are you serious? Sorry Dwayne, but Kurt Russell didn’t have to rely being jacked up on juice to make a good film. Leave it alone! You can always make “The Marine 76” for McMahon’s WWE Studios.

6. Jim says:

Noooooo!!! Stop trashing my childhood Hollywood!

7. Ryan D. says:

NOOOOOOOOOoooooo!!!!! In the words of Egg Shen: “Leave Jack Burton alone!” This is a TERRIBLE idea. :(

8. Dave J. says:

I don’t know about this! The only thing I do know is that I won’t be paying any money to see this, except whenever it comes on TV, since I grew up with the original along with the special effects and action, which is not the same as CGI shown on movies these days. If studios are going to bring The Rock into this remake version, is definitely not going to consist the same “tone” as the original! Kurt Russell as Jack defined “Big Trouble In Little China” therefore, The Rock is going to come up with his own persona!

9. VoiceofRockReason says:

I see both sides of this…in all fairness to the Rock – he’s not required to “act” outside of his personality and it’s sufficient for what his movies require. Everyone made fun of Schwarzenegger too because he couldn’t “act” either at the height of his fame, but he was still money at the box office. I’m not watching a Rock movie looking for Oscar caliber acting, but I do know what I will get going in. With that being said, I don’t think they should remake this movie – and the Rock is definitely not right for this role.

10. alexander moore says:

He fuck Hercules up yes I am a fan but he doesn’t have what it takes don’t fuck up big trouble in little China put mark wahlberg to make this work

11. james.. says:

yet another movie ruined by “the rocks” wooden acting skills,
    he f**king ruined San Andreas, the whole cast and script was shite,
    kudos on the cinematic’s and computer graphics, 10/10 for action,
    but for f**k sake, please please please please, hire a decent actor,

12. Strobe Holley says:

NO JUST NOOOOO Im a fan of Johnson , but your going to ruin a classic !

13. Andy says:

Please stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!, BTILC is a classic, you are going to ruin it

14. Lloyd Pancakes says:

This is not a movie that can be remade! It’s not the 80’s anymore, America is no longer obsessed with Kung Fu, and Hollywood doesn’t have the ability to make movies like this anymore. Also, and this is just a little issue, but audiences don’t want this to be remade! No one, not one fan of the movie, has ever said “You know, I’d love to see a modern remake of Big Trouble in Little China.”

You missed the boat Hollywood. I’ll tell you what we did want, we wanted to know where ol’ Jack Burton and the Pork Chop Express wound up with that monster clinging to the bottom of the truck. We wanted another adventure with Kurt Russell. But you didn’t give it to us then and we dont want it with someone else now. But you don’t care about that. You get a paycheck either way.

15. Nick Von Joe says:

what a load of crap

16. IT 2 IT says:

Are they actually dealing with the 65th Anniversary of the KOREAN WAR?

NO SUCH LUKE – —except in the subtexting.

17. Alana says:

“I’m a reasonable guy. But, I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things.” – Jack Burton, as played by Kurt Russell, who is the only person who should ever play Jack Burton, because Jack Burton is Jack F*****G Burton. Are we clear?

I like Dwayne Johnson a LOT, and if they want to do a sequel with Jack Burton introducing his big handsome friend to the slings and arrows of outrageous mythology, Please Dear God Yes. And they could call it Bigger Trouble In ____ _____ (I’ll leave that to the writers) (Robert Rodriguez? James Gunn?)

Come ON people. This is not rocket science.

18. baelzar says:

Please don’t do this. Let him star in an “Escape from New York” remake, but YOU LEAVE BIG TROUBLE ALONE!

• Jedi77 says:

Whoa there.
      Nobody touches “Escape from New York”… Big Trouble, fine, but stay the hell away from New York.

• Dave J. says:

I have to say that “Escape to New York” is much easier to remake than “Big Trouble Little China” by looking at the action set pieces!

19. Charles Manson says:

Why can’t Kurt Russel come back and play Jack Burton? Like a small cameo role, if he’s not into playing the part for the entire movie. Dwayne Johnson can play another frigging character and the original movie doesn’t lose it’s magic. Who agrees?!?!

• Yes, good. Keep the original sacrosanct, but come up with something within/associated with the original story and world.

But please, can we not see Dwayne Johnson do what he does in every film? He has a schtick. And while it’s no big reach to act in an action/comedy like this, it’s an opportunity for him to do some new work.

I think as long as the writer(s) and director are huge fans of the original, and if it’s approached in the right way (i.e.: NOT throwing $100,000,000 at effects houses), it could be pulled off.

But a remake? Out of the question.

20. Bryan says:

You can’t remake the greatest movie ever.. #HOLLYWOODFAIL Please Hollywood!!!! I’m begging you!!! Come up with something original!!

21. Mike says:

Don’t mess with classics!!!! J.J. messed with the Wrath of Khan. For those who haven’t seen the original, watch it and you will see a lot of familiarities. Example. The warp core malfunction, the battle between the vengeance and the enterprise, both ships become crippled and one crashes (note: the reliant is destroyed)… Need I go on? Do something original and new. And yes I am going to predict the he will be playing the role of jack. I don’t see him playing a minor character in the movie.

• Dave J. says:

Besides positive reviews, the Star Trek carbon copy still made a profit! So despite you, one of few who didn’t like that movie it’s not a good example!

22. Jack says:

Stop the remakes. How about a new, different, adventure with Jack Burton? I hope the Rock won’t be playing Jack. Jack isn’t the big fighter guy; watch the move. How about a new fresh move we haven’t seen?

23. Galeval2 says:

Hollywood should remake movies that really suck like “Howard the Duck” “Dune”, and “Heaven’s Gate”.

24. John says:

Big Trouble in Little China is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time. It was, and is, a product of its time. If Fox and The Rock try to drag it, kicking and screaming if necessary, I don’t think I’ll be able to live on this planet anymore. If they do a poor job on it (as I’m expecting would happen), the movie’s reputation would be forever sullied. Whenever I really hit it off with someone, this is the first movie I show them. I couldn’t bear to see someone immediately think of… This. As Big Trouble in Little China.
    Please, Fox. Please, Dwayne. Don’t do this.

25. This is a bad idea. A very bad idea. No, a really, really bad idea.

26. Stephen says:

Tell a story in the BTiLC universe, cool. Retell/retool the same story with more CGI and muscles, then GET THE EFF OUTTA HERE.

27. So, if Hollywood just starts remaking/rebooting movies every 10 to 30 years, the next generation of movie viewers will be able to see the same movie 3 to 9 times over their lifetime.

Easy for Hollywood, just update the cultural references in the script, re-cast and roll the cameras…..

28. Rob Bynum says:

29. Frank says:

If there is ever again an original idea out of Hollywood, please dig me up and reanimate me because I’m positive I’ll be dead for at least 100 years before that happens.

30. HE'S CONFUSED says:

I hope they cast Emma Stone as every Asian American character.

31. tj says:

STOP. MAKING. REMAKES. Especially of stuff that was really good the first time.

32. Amy says:

I REALLY wish they would stop with the remakes. You are NOT going to make it better. Make something new. Don’t mess with something that is perfect as is. Stop.

33. Why? They’d be better off doing a sequel with Kurt Russell than remaking it so they can tap the nostalgia factor from Gen X; especially a cult movie property like this. After all the original was supposed to be the sequel to Buckaroo Bonzai but because it was a failure at the box office they just reskinned the script as a Kurt Russell vehicle.

• Actually that is an urban legend started by bad information posted on IMDB. BTiLC was written as an original western by two unpublished writers and then adapted/rewritten by W.D. Richter (thus the Buckaroo sequel legend was born.

The WGA ended up involved and ruled that the original writers indeed ‘wrote’ the story and WD Richter only did the adaption (which IMDB properly shows…).