‘Dungeons & Dragons’ Movie in Works at Warner Bros. as Lawsuit Ends

Dungeons and Dragons Movie
Courtesy of Dungeons and Dragons

A movie based on the widely popular game “Dungeons & Dragons” is in the works at Warner Bros., the studio announced Monday, 10 months after a trial over who owned the rights to the fantasy game ended.

After months of negotiation, Warner Bros., Hasbro’s Allspark Pictures and Sweetpea Entertainment said they had come to an undisclosed arrangement, ending the 2-year-old lawsuit, and are moving forward with the feature film franchise.

David Leslie Johnson (“The Conjuring 2”) has already written the screenplay set in the “D&D” fantasy world of Forgotten Realms. Hasbro’s Brian Goldner and Stephen Davis, Sweetpea Entertainment’s Courtney Solomon and Allan Zeman, and Roy Lee (“The Lego Movie”) are producing the high-priority project.

“This is far and away the most well-known brand in fantasy, which is the genre that drives the most passionate film followings,” said Greg Silverman, Warner Bros. president of creative development and worldwide production. “‘D&D’ has endless creative possibilities, giving our filmmakers immense opportunities to delight and thrill both fans and moviegoers new to the property.”

“Dungeons & Dragons” first became popular in 1974, and has amassed millions of avid fans worldwide since then.

“We are thrilled that this beloved property can finally make its way to the big screen after 20 years, and that it can be realized by Warner Bros., which has been responsible for the biggest fantasy franchises over the past two decades,” said Solomon of Sweetpea Entertainment.

The studio is behind the “Harry Potter” and “The Lord of the Rings” franchises, two of the highest-grossing movie series of all time.

1. Alexander says:

Don’t forget MERP which stands for Middle Earth Role Playing. Also explore Tunnels & Trolls.

2. Ron says:

The main issue with any D&D movie will be capturing the collaborative roles of the various characters. D&D is a group effort. If it becomes a hero and his one-dimensional support characters, it will be terrible. It can’t be Conan the Barbarian in the Forgotten Realms. It could be the Magnificent Seven in the Underdark, though.

3. Jared says:

Where is R.A.Salvatore in all this, Forgotten Realms was his baby right?

4. bamboozler says:

if warner bro makes it I won’t go to see it. Screenplay by a bum as well. yay.

• bamboozler says:

I’d like to see the start of salvatore’s books. dark elf trilogy would be sweet. Introduce drizzt to the world. wouldn’t happen though. they target children with these movies. I think the hobbit movies are a horrible rip off of forgotten reralms books. I want blood and gore with great fight scenes.

• Jared says:

So yah Tolkien came first and all fantasy world’s are based in part on the hobbit stories, does that distract from their entertainment value?

• Ryan says:

“I think the hobbit movies are a horrible rip off of forgotten reralms books.” That’s a joke right? It’s forgotten realms that ripped off Tolkien. You know, with the Hobbit being written in 1937 and the forgotten realms stuff over 50 years later.

5. Wayne Martin says:

I hope it isn’t just another fantasy film with the D&D logo in the credits, as its’ predecessors clearly were. I’d like to see them introduce the viewers to the fun of playing the game as well.

6. Brad Allison says:

So this is the third? Fourth? Dungeons and Dragons movie? And all the previous ones have flopped badly because they ignored the source material and just mad complete crap.

All I want is a movie based entirely on the original Dungeons and Dragons cartoon !!!!! Change nothing. All we want is the original Dungeon and Dragons cartoon remade in live action. That’s all we want!! Why are the people in Hollywood so stupid that they keep ignoring what we want and making these horrible films that just flop.

MAKE THE DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS CARTOON INTO A MOVIE !!!!!!!!

7. Miles says:

This could turn out as a very clever movie, they could have it be normal teen boys in a living room playing, but when they play they turn into their characters and become them in the game. Then during intense action they could go back to the living room and see the faces of the boys or the horrible roll one makes while trying to kill the orc lord. Also it wouldn’t be a movie with nerds for the mainstream audience if they didn’t throw in a “Mom get me some hot pockets” joke somewhere in the film.

• Ryan says:

Yeah. That wouldn’t reinforce stereotypes at all. How about just giving one of the book to Peter Jackson and let him run with it. But for gods sake, tell him one movie per book and 4 hours is too long.

8. Luke says:

“Long have I waited for this hahaha” *wizard laughs coniveingly”. Serious, this is amazing. The likes of Lord of the Rings and the Hobbits franchise, the Aliens franchise, Ben-Hur, Harry Potter franchise, Star Wars franchise, the Matrix franchise can never be matched. The Silmarilion will be a great addition. Add in A&A, AD&D, Dragonlance, Warcraft, Starcraft, House Acoma of Kelewan, Milamba, macros and the Velherus…hmm my is complete…I can then die in peace.

• bamboozler says:

you must not have read many forgotten realms books then. that children stuff you just typed off is not d&d quality. lord of the rings? harry potter? I won’t go see it.

9. Barry says:

I hope by your comment you were describing Star Wars, Mr. Silverman.

10. Sean Ensign says:

It would be great if they made the movie after the animated series from the 1980s with all the characters! Great movie potential with sequels written all over it.

11. James says:

If anyone that reads this is in contact with the casting for this movie let me know asap.
    Yamez EnPhi

12. kladams707 says:

Let’s just hope they do a lot better than New Line Cinema did with their take on D&D.

13. Reblogged this on Quantum Multiverse and commented:
    In an era where things things that were once taken lightly are now treated with respect, and everything is done on an epic scale, this should be pretty good. I never played the game, although I wanted to, nor did I read the books. I did play some of the video games and enjoyed them immensely. I also happened to like the movie they put out. It was good for what it was on a cult film level.

Will this be a “Can’t Miss Flicker” or a “Meh, I’ll wait for it on NetFlix”? We shall see.

14. I did a lot of D&D a long time ago. When I now see any mention of it I get physically nauseous.

15. pazuzu says:

It might be based on Greenwood’s spellfire novel? Personally,I’d like to see the avatar trilogy or the prince of lies on it’s own. But to be a blockbuster, it must be epic and dark, ominous, scary, violent and casting is key.

16. They should just remake shot for shot the first Dungeons and Dragons movie.

17. Hitthe says:

They should base it on the cartoon.

18. Peter Dekom says:

PS… That would be you!!!!!

19. Hugh B. Long says:

Hey folks, there has NOT been a 20-year absence of D&D on the silver screen. The most recent installment is only 3 years old.

20. dhall says:

Every single D&D movie thusfar has been so horrible that with the exception of the one HOOOORRIBLE movie they put out in the theaters years ago… they have all been direct to scyfy network pieces of trash. Hell, the one that came out in the theaters was just as bad as stuff you see on scyfy on saturday mornings. And for fracks sake… please do not cast another gd wayens brother as a starring charecter.

21. Brad campbell says:

D&d is more well known than lotr or Harry Potter. Everyone knows d&d thanks to the church and video game industry of old and book series from forgotten realms tsr and dragon Lance.

22. Jonathan Mohr says:

I really don’t know what Greg Silverman does on a daily basis but if you are “president” of anything in the film industry get your damn facts straight.

“This is far and away the most well-known brand in fantasy” Except for Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings but who has heard of those guys. “The studio is behind the “Harry Potter” and “Lord of the Rings” franchise” Okay so he has no excuse there.

“We are thrilled that this beloved property can finally make its way to the big screen after 20 years”
    DND started in 1974 (41 years ago) and had a theatrical released movie in 2000 (15 years).

So let me know when Mr. Silverman’s job is available.

23. So, is it in Forgotten Realms? No mention of Ed Greenwood or Bob Salvatore? If Drizzt and Elminster are in the trailer it could spell 1bil. If not it’s a dud.

• Matthew says:

Yes, and Yes. Both would be great, but wouldn’t Jarlaxle be even better, they said forgotten realms and that really peeked my interest, the cartoons were ok when I was a kid, but I would much rather they take some of the books and use those characters and stories. It has to be gritty though if they try to appeal to kids it will flop. I want to see Pwent and the Gutbusters, Athrogate, Artemis, Cadderly, Bruenor, wulfgar! that would get me out to the theater. Bwahahahaha give me some Drow…