‘Die Hard 6’: Len Wiseman in Talks to Direct

Len Wiseman Die Hard 6
Rob Latour/REX Shutterstock

Twentieth Century Fox is in negotiations with Len Wiseman to direct and produce the sixth installment in its durable 27-year-old “Die Hard” franchise.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura is also producing. Bruce Willis is expected to return for “Die Hard 6” in a story that would focus on the origins of the younger John McClane character, set in New York City in 1979. The plan is for Willis to appear in the narrative as a present-day version of McClane.

The actor has not signed a deal yet. Willis previously worked with di Bonaventura in “G.I. Joe: Retaliation.”

The film is titled “Die Hard: Year One.” Fox has dispensed with numbers in the titles in the last three films.

Wiseman directed the fourth installment of the franchise in 2007 with “Live Free or Die Hard,” which grossed $383 million worldwide. The fifth film, 2013’s “A Good Day to Die Hard,” was directed by John Moore and grossed $304 million worldwide.

The original “Die Hard” opened in 1988 with John McTiernan directing, followed by “Die Hard 2” with Renny Harlin in 1990. McTiernan directed “Die Hard with a Vengeance” in 1995.

Wiseman also directed the first two “Underworld” movies and 2012’s “Total Recall.” He’s repped by CAA.

Di Bonaventura is best known for producing the Transformers and G.I. Joe franchises.

The news was first reported by Deadline Hollywood.

1. Matt Baker says:

This was originally suppose to tie with the original film but take place 30 years after the Nakatomy terrorists invasion. And is to take place in Japan where the company originates from, and reveals some dark secrets about the company. I hope this happens.

2. siebertws13 says:

There are two “Die Hard: Year One” graphic novel prequels by the esteemed Howard Chaykin; is this supposed to be adapted from one of those? The second one was really good, and took place during the NYC blackout, tho that was 1977.

3. harry says:

I thought and hoped that Wiseman was going to direct the MKULTRA flick BLACK CHAPTER then another DIE HARD travesty that was the last one set in Russia. If another DIE HARD happens it has to be with John McTiernan.

4. Bill B. says:

Die hard seems to have taken on a new meaning with this series.

5. Sometimes I hate Hollywood, sometimes I am amazed at their stupidity, sometimes I feel both at the same time; like now.

6. H.M. says:

Retitle it-Bruce Willis’ Career Will Die Hard

7. Paul brno says:

“Die Hard Again” Sure, why not? Bruce Willis has 9 lives or 4 more ‘Die Hards’ left! I would die to act in the next movie. I’m Paul Brno, actor/writer/ retired NYC sanitation worker. I ran into Bruce in 2008 on 51 at & 2nd & gave him my card. He shook my hand and said thanks Paul.

8. Spider says:

The premise for this new one is ridiculous. If this tired franchise has any hopes of being reinvigorated, the producers should woo back director John McTiernan, as he is the only director who gets it.

• Rex says:

The “premise” for this one — what little has actually been revealed so far — is perfectly fine. They haven’t said anything about a plot, a villain, a love interest, etc. And frankly, there’s no better way to both hand-off AND reinvigorate a long-in-the-tooth franchise than to have an installment where the veteran hero gets a backstory with a younger actor who can then potentially take the franchise in new directions (although they’ll be stuck with pricey period recreation), while presumably dealing in the “present” day with some byproduct of events shown in the 70’s sequences.

I’m up for it, and I strongly disliked the fifth one.

• Spider says:

This is NO good for a “Die Hard” flick. This is more of a reboot than a continuation. We don’t know for sure if this will be a handing off, as Bruce Willis is still involved. Yes, there is a graphic novel that takes place in the 70s. It may work out! But then again, you can’t have a “Die Hard” flick without Willis, and he’s no spring chicken. However, a reboot is always a sad possibility. This reminds me of what they tried to do with, “Indy 4”, to some extent and that did not play out well!…..
        One way I see this working is to bring back another Gruber. Hans and Simon’s younger brother with ties to Al-Qaeda, who escapes captivity from a foreign terrorist prison (after being captured with Simon’s goons at the end of “….Vengeance”) and hell bent on exacting revenge on the retired John McClane after all these years; AND bring back John McTiernan to direct the R rated flick. This could actually work. Now, this is a flick that I’d pay to see on opening night.

9. John Shutt says:

After that abomination of a fifth film, I have no expectations.