Harrison Ford to Return for ‘Blade Runner’ Sequel Directed by Denis Villeneuve

Blade Runner Sequel: Harrison Ford to

“Prisoners” director Denis Villeneuve is in negotiations to direct Harrison Ford in the “Blade Runner” sequel for Alcon Entertainment.

The announcement was made on Thursday.

Written by Hampton Fancher and Michael Green, the “Blade Runner” sequel will take place several decades after the 1982 original.

Ford recently said the second installment’s script was the “best thing he’s ever read.” He will reprise his role as Rick Deckard in the film, which originally took place in a dystopian 2019 Los Angeles.

Further plot details are known.

Ridley Scott will exec produce the sci-fi thriller. Producers are Bud and Cynthia Sikes Yorkin and Alcon’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson.

“We are honored that Harrison is joining us on this journey with Denis Villeneuve, who is a singular talent, as we experienced personally on ‘Prisoners,'” Kosove and Johnson said in a joint statement. “Hampton and Michael, with Ridley Scott, have crafted a uniquely potent and faithful sequel to one of the most universally celebrated films of all time, and we couldn’t be more thrilled with this amazing, creative team.”

Villeneuve’s 2010 “Incendies” earned a foreign-language Oscar nomination. He most recently helmed Jake Gyllenhaal in “Enemy.”

His next film “Sicario” stars Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro. It opens nationwide Sept. 18.

1. deckard9080 says:

You have to get Vangelis !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The timeless atmospheric tone of Blade Runner was due to expertise in Cinematography, Directing and Music. Vangelis has to be on board otherwise this movie will not create the same mood of the universe that Ridley created. Please.

2. Brian F. McElroy says:

Hello! knock, knock! heck with Harrison Ford…what about Sean Young as “Rachel”?

3. fistoffury says:

Wow so this is actually going to happen. I need to go back and watch the first film. I used to be obsessed with that movie and used to watch it every day.

4. Jim says:

Im very very much looking forward to it!
    Just keep Harrison out of any tiny airplanes for the next 5 years until Blade Runner and Episodes 7-9 are made.

Btw, in the follow up Blade Runner book released about 6 years ago (not related to Do Andoids Dream…) they state Deckard was a replicant. I didn’t like that idea.

5. Duder NME says:

And with that, Ford completes the trifecta of returning to old franchises, unless there’s a Frisco Kid sequel I’m unaware of.

6. J M says:

The target audience should be the 40-60 years hold (and not the teenager)

7. Truth Teller says:

The truth is this could be awesome if all efforts are put on having an amazing script and imagery that matches the original… spend little to no money on CGI and special effects!

Don’t go for a summer blowout blockbuster, go for a mentally brilliant film like the original.

8. The fear of them doing something wrong will not deter me from wanting to see it done right. I believe in Ridley Scott. It would be great if they could get some help from Syd Mead and Drew Struzan. Personally, I would love to see what good ol’ Deckard has been up to.

9. Sean Murphy says:

NO! Nononononononononononononononononononono! Noooooooooooooooooooooo! LEAVE IT ALONE! NO BLADE RUNNER SEQUEL!

10. One of the great things about the original film were the rain-drenched, smoggy cityscapes and giant buildings, all rendered with models that gave the movie a gritty realism. The new film will be all CGI.

11. Rick Kim says:

I say give it a chance. With Ridley Scott still involved as producer, it can’t be that bad. I’m sure people said not to make sequels to Rocky and Godfather, too. And as long as they keep the atmosphere and feeling from the original, I’m sure it will be alright. And I’m dying to find out if Decker is human or not. Although I’m sure Sean Young will not be back as Rachel, I would like to know what they do with the storyline.

12. anonymous says:

Just tell me: where are they going to get another Vangelis? Another Rutger Hauer! Forget it! Leave it alone!

13. anonymous says:

Oh come on, please say this is a joke. Ridley you already disgraced yourself with Prometheus, don’t destroy Blade Runner too.

14. Blade Runner is my favourite movie and one of the greatest cinematic achievements IMHO. This announcement is depressing. Ford can no more reprise his role than Rutger Hauer could. He’s a REPLICANT!!! As Lloyd the bartender from the Shining explained (while looking off camera because he couldn’t learn the lines!) once the replicant system is set in place it cannot be altered. Deckard had at the most 4 years to live.

It’s also odd that they chose a director whose most notable achievement was a film with an atmosphere that was clearly derivative of Blade Runner (world record amount of heavy rain in Prisoners).

Very depressing.

• KD. says:

The “city drenched in rain” is originated by film noir. You can’t arrive at dystopia, without the (dreams of) over-consumption predated by the central debate of authentic vs. artificial in post-war survivalism (which is precisely the territory of film noir.)

15. “Enemy” was oh so boring. boring.

16. Ive read the books.I want to see the talking briefcase that sounds like Roy Batty.

17. cineaste2 says:

Sorry, lightening never strikes twice in the same place. Ridley Scott’s definitive final cut is the beginning and end of the “Blade Runner” saga for me.

Remember what “2010” was to “2001”.

18. g1i1ch says:

I’m cautiously optimistic. The most telling sign that this could be good is the director Denis Velleneuve. Who made the awesomely serious Prisoners, but also a ton of other stuff. He’s even nominated for an Academy Award and all his movies are rated fresh by rotten tomatoes.

And, he’s still early in his career so he has something to prove. I’d still rather they left this story alone because a sequel will never live up to the original, but if a sequel has to be made, I’m happy with their choice of who will head it.

19. jhs39 says:

At this point it’s probably a good sign that Ridley Scott isn’t directing the sequel–he doesn’t have the creative spark and ambition of the man who directed Blade Runner and Legend and has largely turned into a slickly anonymous director for hire whose most notable attribute is that his movies are highly polished and entirely forgettable.

20. colt triarii says:

This is amazing.

Ford, 72, is old enough to be the audience’s Grandfather.

Good for Ford, and good for Hollywood!!!!

• I Know U says:

No Colti, He won’t be old enough to be the audience’s grandfather because the only people (or vast majority) who will see this will be his own fans from the good old days. Twenty year olds are NOT scrambling to check out Blade Runner. They don’t even know what it is! In order to get the younger audiences you have to have some younger cast members. for example, get this guy who played the lead in Avatar to play Deckerd. Or get Chris Hemsworth, or Jared Leto, or Leo DiCaprio (though I think he would pass on the film because he knows it would be a flop). You have to get some younger people in the film to get the younger fans to see the film.

21. colt triarii says:

Good for Harrison Ford, at his age!!

22. David says:

Greatly hope they are able to get Vangelis to deliver the new soundtrack too… Original was mesmerizing!

23. Hanover says:

30-year old dystopian movie. I was 14 when I saw it first run. I liked it, but appreciated it even more as the years wore on – directors cut after studio re-cut came out on video then dvd. It doesn’t need any “what happened after”.

24. T in NYC says:

I cannot believe Villeneuve is doing this – the pay must be insane for him to consider this…

25. Guest says:

I wonder how many female directors were considered for the role. I’m guessing as usual it was 0.

26. I don’t know what these people are smoking. Is Ridley Scott attending the same parties as Spielberg where they think you can build on something 20 years too late? I’m SERIOUSLY not trying to be cynical, I’m actually angry at the rich, lazy filmmakers that passed on Indy 4 and Blade Runner 2 for 20 years, thinking they’re so special – and now they’re being laughed at for trying to do adventure and sci-fi films in their 60s and 70s.

They thought they were retirees on a boat in their 40s with their mansions but now here they come – wanting to give us something we wanted an entire GENERATION ago and they think we should be grateful that they just ran out of money and are FINALLY giving what people (and their agents) have been asking for? NO THANK YOU.

• Duder NME says:

Entitled much?

No one had to give Crystal Skull or Prometheus buttloads of cash, but it happened anyway. Whether they amount to any sort of quality is between you and apparently your therapist.

• Hanover says:

Doesn’t need a man’s touch either, in point of fact. Shouldn’t be made.

27. David Wood says:

Harrison Ford will be 74 years old when he shoots the movie next summer. If Blade runner 2 is an action sci-fi movie, it has to cast a younger male like Chris Pratt to be the leading character to handle the action sequence.

28. Ruan says:

Why??? No one cares about a Blade Runner sequel but Ridley Scott. Reboot it with a better script and a writer and a editor that can count.

29. Royce says:

What about Sean Young? Will she reprise her role?

30. HM says:

There’s always the scent of sad desperation when an actor goes the Stallone route, shamelessly revisiting a decades old popular title, to get back to any kind of cultural relevance. With Star Wars, Indy & now Blade Runner Ford hits a trifecta of ruining his past iconic roles.

• Cammie says:

Maybe if Hollywood would actually make more films with actors of Harrison Ford’s age in decent roles (considering that the audience that actually bothers to attend films in movie theatres is getting older as well) they wouldn’t have to revisit their past iconic roles.

31. Charles says:

Someone, please explain how Warner failed to end up with the sequel rights? Thanks

32. d says:

If they do a new version of Rachael, I’d try to cast Mary Elizabeth Winstead. She has a pretty remarkable resemblance to Sean Young, and she is a fine actress.

• Say What says:

@D, But is Harrison Ford is 74 and reprising his role as Deckerd, how can his girlfriend from the original film still be young? I thought Deckerd was a Replicant too? Oh how convenient to have his old character have a girlfriend in the film who could be his grandbaby.

33. C. Buehner says:

Yes, I would like to see another “Blade Runner” movie, but they better Hurry… If they still want Harrison Ford to appear in it… He is so old that they might need to CGI him like they did with Christopher Lee in “Star Wars”.

34. TruthTeller says:

Please don’t f this up! Make certain the script is brilliant on a character level and DO NOT harp on special effects.

Special effects are not what makes Blade Runner one of the all time best films! REMEMBER it’s all about epic themes, plot, and awesome character struggles!

• anonymous says:

I’d say that Villeneuve is certainly not the type of director to rely solely on cgi-special-fx to tell a story. But still, it’s Blade Runner…the expectations are gonna be high and it would be an easy task to fuck this up. I keep my fingers crossed on this one.

• C.C. 95 says:

I agree that character and story are paramount…But, also, don’t kid yourself- visuals are a LARGE part of Blade Runner, as well as music. God I hope VANGELIS does the score!!

35. Comment says:

Wow fox certainly has its priorities……………….