Clint Eastwood on Michael Moore Feud, Why He Won’t Do Comic Book Movies

Clint Eastwood Michael Moore Fued
Getty Images

Clint Eastwood may be cinema’s best known avenger, but the “Dirty Harry” star won’t be donning a cape and tights to fight crime.

“I read comic books when I was a kid; I don’t read them now,” said Eastwood during a question and answer session about his life and career at the Las Vegas exhibition trade show CinemaCon on Wednesday.

That means he won’t be appearing in a Marvel movie anytime soon. “I prefer adult-oriented pictures,” Eastwood said. “I mean that in the PG-13 or R sense, but that’s as far as it goes.”

Eastwood also revealed that even though he’s world famous, he still buys tickets to see movies on the bigscreen. He most recently made the trip to the multiplexes to see “The Grand Budapest Hotel” and plans to support his son Scott by paying full freight to see “The Longest Ride.”

“We’ll see if he’s a chip off the old block,” he added.

The Oscar winner recently scored his biggest commercial hit with “American Sniper,” the highest-grossing domestic release of 2014. Part of the film’s appeal was that it examined the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in a novel way, Eastwood observed. “Nobody really thought of it from the point of view of the families of the people who go there and the people who go there,” he said.

Eastwood got a chance to slip into the director’s chair on “American Sniper” only after scheduling conflicts forced Steven Spielberg to drop the project. “I’m taking your leftovers again,” Eastwood recalled telling Spielberg when he called him to let him know he planned to direct the picture.

As for his follow-up to “American Sniper,” Eastwood denied recent speculation that he would direct a film about Richard Jewell, the security guard who discovered a suspicious backpack in the Olympics compound during the 1996 Games in Atlanta. He said it wasn’t clear if the film would come to fruition.

The hourlong discussion touched on everything from Eastwood’s most-admired directors, such as Don Siegel and Sergio Leone, to his favorite films (“Unforgiven,” “Million Dollar Baby” and “The Outlaw Josey Wales” got shout-outs). Eastwood also addressed some areas of controversy, such as his feud with Michael Moore.

The “Bowling for Columbine” director claimed that Eastwood had previously threatened his life at the National Board of Review Awards dinner in 2005 and said he would shoot Moore if he ever came to his house with a camera.

Eastwood said he was upset that Moore had showed up on NRA president Charlton Heston’s doorstep in that film to grill him on gun control, because he said the actor was ailing and had Alzheimer’s.

“Everybody’s saying I threatened to kill Michael Moore,” said Eastwood. “That’s not true.”

“It isn’t a bad idea,” he added, after a pause — followed by nervous laughter from the audience.

1. jpaq68 says:

Even at his age Eastwood could still take Micheal Moore on his best day.

2. James says:
    April 22, 2015 at 7:12 pm

I’ve been a Clint Eastwood until recently — he just kind of quit making sense. In this story alone he suggests that Michael Moore had no business interviewing Charlton Heston due to Heston’s age and Alzheimers. I Nevertheless, he fails to mention that Heston was indeed the president of the NRA in 2002, when Moore interviewed him. So if he was in such poor condition to appear in Moore’s documentary and answer questions — then why in the world was he the president of the NRA at that time? Also, Eastwood, indicates that he didn’t threaten Moore at the award’s dinner in 2005. However, his quote was, “…Michael, if you ever show up at my front door with a camera, I’ll kill you.”

Finally, in the procces of denying that he threatened Moore (which he clearly did), he goes on to essentially do it again by saying it isn’t a bad idea. Perhaps he is the one getting Alzheimers.

Thanks for the facts…which I see many prefer to over look…

• Good analysis, something wrong with that guy’s brain. I’m sure he was against reporters asking Reagan questions too. After all, he was senile. which doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be president, only means he shouldn’t be responsible for what he did as president. according to eastwood

3. ddaymace says:

The guys close friend was taken advantage of while he was ill and had Alzheimer’s. I think that’s enough to dislike the person who did it before you even get into politics.

4. The Dre says:

Eastwood doesn’t do what thinking people do. Take a hard look at what someone’s intentions are. Moore wants people in the U.S. to be able to access health care for a decent price. He doesn’t want insurance companies to be able to deny coverage because you had back surgery fifteen years ago. The whole trip to Cuba was to show how even a poor nation has it’s priorities more in line with the common man, because they don’t allow corporations to dictate public policy. The lobbying in the U.S.A. is grotesque.

5. Cindy says:

Clint eastwood is a straight shooter. I don’t think michael Moore can bend far enough to the left to avoid a bullit. Shame..think moore will be sweating bull it’s for eternity.

6. jbudd66 says:

Moore is a disgusting creature – in this appearance and soul.

7. Larry Wilson says:

If Michael Moore wants to do one of his fine movies on something. Do one about the slaves of the world. And I don’t mean the old time ones. Go to the countries where the slaves are now. There are more slaves now than there ever were in the US before the Civil War. Most of them are kept or owned by Muslims too. Go get’em Michael!!! http://allafrica.com/stories/201310170414.html

8. Clint Eastwood is an American Icon! He is an accomplished actor, director, producer, and an all around great person! Michael Moore is a POC!

9. Nathan says:

Hey, man. Remember that time he was that guy in the that thing about the guy with that gun?

10. olmon says:

LOL – – It ISN’T a bad idea – – –

11. All Clint would have to say is,”Maam…your mouth is as big as your feet”

12. Roger Komula says:

As a lifelong liberal who has also been made obsolete by the passage of time, cut Clint some slack. I don’t recall his politics ever being important or even examined in the preceding five decades. Now he’s just an easy target. A movie like Josie Wales will always be important to me, not because it’s correct either politically or historically, but because it stood out at the time. Even today, nobody can withstand the endless scrutiny of the media and a 50 year career in the shameful past makes for too many landmines. Did it really take until the release of American Sniper for people to figure out Clint’s not a role model? Am the only person that has actually watched any of his movies? It’s like debating the cult of John Wayne. All the non-PC cowboy crap of his career gets mitigated in my mind by his uncharacteristic movie deaths in The Shootist and The Cowboys. Something about them seems like an apology to me. As for Eastwood, I could never put any of Clint’s movies on my Top 10, or even Top 100, but that doesn’t mean his voice was entirely a waste of my time. I know his politics are antiquated and to me, the fact that he was even at the Republican Convention was more troubling than him talking to a chair. The act of even attending shows how out of touch he is. You don’t need to scour the canon of his work. For crying out loud, he still thinks Michael Moore has something new to say.

• Greg says:

You must have a pretty pathetic movie list……..I’m sure “bowling for Columbine” is a top 10 for you………LOL

13. James says:

• Greg says:

Clint rocks and has got more intellect in his pinky than Moore will ever have…….if Moore showed up on my door step in Florida I’d do the same……….Moore is a useless Progressive fool……..his “movies” are fiction and lies to promote the Leftist agenda that provide ZERO value for Americans.
      Moore has made himself a cushy lifestyle on the Capitalistic system that he loves to hate……a hypocrite that can leave and live elsewhere!

• myst031 says:

Have you ever actually seen a Michael Moore movie? Well it’s the internet so I’m sure you can just say you have and I can’t prove otherwise.

• James says:

Hello Greg, you didn’t really contribute anything useful there (i.e. facts, links) just your unintelligable opinion, which I am not really interested in.

14. cadavra says:

This thread is typical of how screwed up this country has become. No one considers the possibility that Eastwood and Moore may both be right. No, it’s either/or! Grow up, you little schmucks! Nothing in this world is black and white except newspapers and old movies and TV shows.

15. Jeff says:

Somebody has to give Michael Moore a lifetime of cheese balls fried in Palm oil.

16. Shirley Kyle says:

Good for you Clint Eastwood on your comment regarding Charton Heston, and I think you finished comics with Every Which Way but Loose, which we loved. I admire your director choices today , and although not mentioned often, Gran Torina was one of my favorites.

17. Mr. Bill says:

I just love Clint Eastwood. Michael Moore should be nervous.

18. J.E. Vizzusi says:

“Rodger and Me” Director should consider.. “Clint and Me!

19. Clint’s the man. It’s that simple.

20. THEPUPPETMAN says:

Clint Eastwood is the real deal… Look at his films and the returns at the box office. I think Michael Moore need to be opportunistic anyplace but Texas and Clint Eastwood’s home. I like that. Any Mr Eastwood made his point… Sadly Mr Heston couldn’t. Trey Parker and Matt Stone should Michael Moore was a total douchebag loser and opportunist in Team America World Police. That’s his gig… and everyone else can choose which side is right. Showbiz!!!

21. Jeffrey Spicoli says:

There’s no room for conservatives and Republicans in Hollywood. If you want to be a conservative, get out of Hollywood.

• cut says:

hollywood needs more conservatives and republicans, they are alot more informed and down to earth than people like the baldwins who never spent anytime in the real world their entire lives

22. Jeffrey Spicoli says:

I love Michael Moore. He’s the real deal. On the other hand, Clint Eastwood is a blabbering idiot that has no credibility. eastwood is a total fraud.

23. Truth Teller says:

The truth is America is failing, because it has too many people thinking like Michael Moore and far too few like Clint Eastwood.

24. Marlene says:

I love Clint Eastwood. He’s the real deal. On the other hand, Michael Moore is a blabbering idiot that has no credibility. Moore is a total fraud.