‘Bourne’ Sequel Casts ‘Star Wars: Rogue One’ Actor Riz Ahmed (EXCLUSIVE)

Riz Ahmed
Eric Charbonneau/REX Shutterstock

Star Wars: Rogue One” actor Riz Ahmed has been tapped to join Matt Damon in the next installment in his “Bourne” franchise, sources tell Variety.

Alicia Vikander, Vincent Cassel, Scott Shepherd and Tommy Lee Jones are also on board for the project, with Julia Stiles set to return to the series.

Paul Greengrass is attached to direct and co-write the script with Christopher Rouse — rejoining the franchise after helming 2007’s “The Bourne Ultimatum.” Frank Marshall again produces the action-thriller sequel alongside Jeffrey Weiner for Captivate Entertainment. Greengrass, Damon, Greg Goodman and Ben Smith also produce. Rouse and Henry Morrison serve as executive producers.

Plot details are unknown at this time, though sources say Ahmed will play a tech specialist at the CIA. Sources tell Variety that Ahmed had always been the top choice for this key role, but scheduling conflicts with “Rogue One” almost stymied the deal. Insiders now say the dates have been worked out to allow Ahmed to film both movies.

Production is under way in Budapest. The film will bow on July 29.

Damon’s three “Bourne” movies, which began in 2002 and ended in 2007, grossed nearly $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

Ahmed broke out last year as Jake Gyllenhaal’s cameraman in “Nightcrawler,” which helped land him a lead role in “Star Wars: Rogue One.”

He is repped by CAA and Gordon and French

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 4

Leave a Reply

4 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. Silver says:

    Oh man, I REALLY hope Carlos the Jackal makes his way into the series.

    • JohnKimball says:

      That would be fantastic. A whole movie with Bourne chasing Carlos through Europe and trying to lure him out by claiming his kills…epic! But no, they’ll probably just go for the cheap political points and have more US intelligence boogeymen trying to kill Bourne. After all, they’re Hollywood leftists; they never let a good movie get in the way of their hatred for all things American.

  2. Jane says:

    Bourne 5 is not filming in Budapest and likely will not be. Bourne 5 has been filming in London for weeks (check all the set photos). This is the second Variety article which has this incorrect.

  3. Gustavo H.R. says:

    Why not put in the title of the story that he was in Nightcrawler, a film that has been released and actually seen?

More Film News from Variety

Loading