‘Borderlands’ Videogame Movie in Works at Lionsgate

Borderlands movie
Courtesy of Gearbox Software

Lionsgate is developing a tentpole movie based on the videogame “Borderlands,” with producers Avi and Ari Arad.

“Borderlands,” launched in 2009, is a role-playing first-person shooter videogame created and developed by Gearbox Software and published by Take-Two Interactive Software’s 2K label. More than 26 million copies of the game have been shipped worldwide, including 8 million during Take-Two’s 2015 fiscal year, which ended March 31.

The game is set on the frontier of a sci-fi universe — the planet of Pandora — which has been abandoned by a mega-corporation prior to the game events.

Avi Arad and his son Ari Arad have been involved in the creation of the film franchises for Iron Man, Spider Man, The Amazing Spider Man, X-Men, Ghost Rider and Blade.

Lionsgate made a major push last year into videogames when it named Nerdist Industries CEO Peter Levin as president of interactive ventures and games.

“Part of our strategy in entering the game space under Peter Levin has been to source new brands with built-in audiences that will translate into great films and television shows,” said Lionsgate Motion Picture Group Co-Chairs Rob Friedman and Patrick Wachsberger. “The ‘Borderlands’ games don’t pull any punches, and we’ll make the movie with the same in-your-face attitude that has made the series a blockbuster mega-franchise.”

Friday’s announcement comes less than three months before Lionsgate opens its fourth and final film in its highly successful “Hunger Games” franchise, which has grossed $2.3 billion at the worldwide box office. The studio’s Summit label generated $3.3 billion from its five-film “Twilight Saga.” And it has grossed more than $550 million from the first two films in its four-film “Divergent Series.”

“Lionsgate has emerged as a major creative force in the global marketplace with an incredible portfolio of brands; our partners at Gearbox have pioneered and cultivated an iconic property; and Avi and Ari Arad are two of the most successful producers of action franchises,” Take-Two Interactive Chairman and CEO Strauss Zelnick said. “This alliance is ideally positioned to create a bold, provocative, no-holds-barred motion picture phenomenon that will delight ‘Borderlands” current legions of fans and captivate moviegoers around the world.”

Avi Arad founded Marvel Studios in 1993 and resigned 13 years later to form his own production company, where Ari Arad is the president. He’s continuing to produce some of the Marvel films, such as the “Spider-Man” titles, along with videogame adaptations such as “Uncharted” and “Ghost in the Shell.”

Movies based on videogames have not yet achieved blockbuster status in Hollywood. Disney’s “Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time” is the highest grosser, with $337 million worldwide on a $200 million budget in 2010.

The deal was orchestrated by a Lionsgate team led by Peter Levin, Summit Entertainment President of Production Geoff Shaevitz and Lionsgate Motion Picture Group President of Business and Legal Affairs Patricia Laucella.

The news about Lionsgate acquiring the rights to “Borderlands” was first reported by The Tracking Board.

1. HandsomeJack says:

I cant wait for this I hope Handsome Jack (me) is in it, at least an ending cliffhanger

2. JustAtaran says:

Just imagine Borderlands movie in the hands of Tarantino.

3. borderlands 2 would make a better movie, because its story line is more unique, this may be like mad max fury road

4. this is kaimen can movie i thnk this game would make a perfect movie

5. Sweet I think everyone that knows this game would bthink a movie would be a perfect movie and im one of those people . plz plz make a movie I would really enjoy that

6. then they make a Borderlands’ Videogame Movie videogame

7. Aydin says:

Why in the hell, would anyone even think about making a film, about this amazing GAME series. I personally don’t think they will do a good job at all, however, I will DEFINATLY watch it when it does come out, if it does, just to see how they turn it into a motion picture.

8. Dan says:

I’m hoping they set the movie before the games, like during the crackening on Elpis or during the colonization and decolonization of Pandora by Atlas and Dhal. Although they would have to fit in a vault somewhere, maybe as a cause for the crackening or perhaps as a more standard hero tale where the vault is destroyed to keep that kind of power away from the wicked.

Or perhaps they could make use of Athenas backstory, you know the one where she is a [Spoiler] that ends up [Spoiler] which causes her to [Spoiler]. But that feels more like a spin-off movie if the first one is REALLY successful.

I would also like to get some more info about the sirens and their connection with eridium and by extension the vaults and the Eridians. However I doubt that will be properly explained at all, and certainly not in a movie.

9. Jonah says:

The game is hysterical at parts and the storyline is captivating. It would make a great movie and the millions who purchased copies of borderlands would wait in line to see Borderlands the movie. If the movie is good or not is irrelevant, the story within each of the Borderlands titles is so great in and of itself that millions will go see the movie regardless.
    Smart move. Anyone know if these companies are publicly traded?

10. Harrie says:

Yes, I love the Borderlands video games and they should make the movie based off of Borderlands 2 because it was way more interesting than the first borderland. Lots of different locations as well as character. I love Mordecai.

• Who spells Harry like that? says:

Borderlands 2 was terrible compared to the first. They went for the extremely overused band of underdogs take out evil dictator running a massive evil corporation/ empire. Borderlands 1 actually had some originality to it.

11. Ghost in the Shell is NOT a video game adaptation. It is an (utterly unnecessary) live action remake of a Japanese animated masterpiece.

12. wutdazog says:

A double whammy, yet another garbage game getting the hollywood treatment, but also further proof that hollywood can’t formulate an original idea to save their coke addled brains.

• John says:

Garbage game? Borderlands 2 has a great story and awesome gameplay. I am guessing you have not played it.

• April172013 says:

wutdazog you do realize that Borderlands is in the Top 10 cooperative games, right? And for a good reason. Sorry the game was to hard for you to advance to a cool scene, but the thousands of people that voted for it are clearly smart and think otherwise from your opinion….

• Guest says:

Since the beginning of Hollywood they have adapted other material into movies, from plays to books. Get over it.

13. Gwen says:

Well, the development team doesn’t have a good track record, the production studio has a good history of movies that are popular but are flawed in a fundamental manor that makes ridiculous and fundamental changes from the source material. I love the game series, but this is going to be a horrible movie.

14. Jj g says:

What borderlands will this be based off?

15. pinkcelebs says:

Lionsgate has chosen Avi and Ari Arad to produce the film adaptation of the first-person shooter. No expected release date was reported ….

16. dougo13 says:

Just so long as we have some REALLY BIG GUNs and Mr. Torgue in it. Hey, Hulk Hogan is out o a job these days. You can get him. Same dffierence anyway…

17. Ida Knows says:

more unoriginal crap by hollyweird! I don’t play video games and most people I know don’t either and
    most of us stop going to movies years ago except for the occasional movie that has something new
    and original and good ACTING AND WRITING AND DIRECTING with little or no CGI or graphic
    sex and violence. no wonder hollyweird can’t make a movie worth even watching the promos!

18. Steffan says:

Literally just made a video hoping for a borderlands movie yesterday and then this happens!

19. James Childress says:

I can just see the reaction of the prop master/scene builders. You want us to do what? Go to the local dump and spread stinking piles of garbage everywhere?!?

20. theotakux says:

Did they just call “Ghost in the Shell” a video game adaption?!

21. Esparza says:

MadMax 2 ?

22. Ryan Locke says:

I thought Mad Max Fury Road was Borderlands the Movie.

23. Thomas S says:

Yes, because video game movies ALWAYS work out well.

24. Anonymous says:

“His first feature outside Marvel was 2007’s “Bratz: The Movie,” which was released by Lionsgate.”
    We’re fucked….

25. Logan says:

I leave the details of filming and all that up to the professionals,but if there’s one thing I absolutely require of this film it’s a proper actor to play Jack. He has always been one of my absolute favorite villains (in any franchise). Since he came along I considered who would be the best live-action equivalent of him and for a long time I have thought that you could not get any better than Jeremy Piven! I haven’t even watched Entourage or the like; just from his looks,voice and mannerisms I think he would be perfection. If this website has any sway then please remember this.

26. As long as Anthony Burch isn’t involved…it should be fine…hopefully…

• anjiaoshi says:

If Anthony Burch isn’t involved in the film, there’s no reason to see it. His writing made Borderlands 2 the masterpiece it is, and the comparative lack of his involvement in the Pre-Sequel is what allowed that game to be such an unfunny flop.

• Cody lequire says:

Wait, what?

27. Jordan says:

I’ve played and liked these games so much… and I will so not watch this movie. I will deeply and abidingly not watch it. But hey, have fun, y’all.

28. Andrew says:

It seems to me that they’ll make it based on the first Borderlands. I hope they do.

29. MR TORGUE says:

THIS SCRIPT HAS TOO MANY SYLLABLES, APOLOGIZE!

30. chris says:

Channing Tatum as Axton please. Bradley Cooper as Handsome Jack.

• fan says:

Why would everyone think its based on borderlands 2? or borderlands, or the pre sequel? I think it would be best if it was just simply based on borderlands universe, so A) It wouldnt ruin any of the games if it sucks. And B) We would get something new to the series. I am so done with borderlands 2 already…

• Marie says:

No Tatum!

• matt says:

handsome jack is based of captain jack from doctor who so getiing john barrowman would be better

• Lauren says:

No, he’s not based off of Jack Harkness. They used that character’s name as a filler while working on the game and decided they liked it and kept it. That’s as far as the inspiration goes.

• Handsome Jack says:

And already I’m dying inside… Channing Tatum?! Ugh…

• Kaden says:

Tatum is too young to be Handsome Jack. They’ll probably use the same guy who does the voice, or at least, hopefully will.

31. Zac says:

This announcement makes me nervous. Though I’m thrilled with the prospect of a Borderlands movie (as a very passionate fan of the franchise) there are a lot of hurdles that present significant pitfalls for a movie adaptation.

First of the, the style of the game in general. The cell shaded animation style of the game causes concern for me in regards to a movie adaptation. How do you stay true to the nature and feel of the game with a live action movie? I’m trying to imagine Borderlands being done similar to say Mad Max Fury Road.

Second, the characters. Borderlands has probably one of the best set of supporting characters I’ve ever seen in a story. Moxxi, Marcus, claptrap, Tiny Tina, Mr. Torgue (EXPLOSIONS! ) Scooter, Dr. Zed, and of course Handsome Jack. Who is just the perfect antagonist. That being said, Borderlands is not known for in depth character development. In the game, you know practically nothing about the main characters and that’s OK because the game is just in your face funny and ridiculous. The supporting cast leads you through the plot of the story and you pick up “echo recorders” along the way that shed some light on your character. Axton for instance arrives to Pandora following his wife’s betrayal and him being discharged from the military. That’s it!

Next comes the question about WHO the protagonist will be. Or will it be all of them. Zero, Axton, Maya, Salvador, Gaige and Krieg? In a film adaptation, how in the world are you going to pull this off? The Mass Effect team had a hard enough time with the Shepard situation..”uh do we go guy or gal” sounds like Bruce er I mean Kaitlyn Jenner would have been the prefect casting call there. The point is that Borderlands has a cluster of characters that we really don’t know squat about. These characters are thrown in together on a train with no reason for us to think that they know each other at all. But which one to pick? Picking just one of any of these will send the fan base into an uproar.

I am posting this with Borderlands 2 in mind on purpose. Because anyone that is a big of fan of the franchise as I am knows that the first Borderlands was excellent, but not relatively speaking story wise. The original Borderlands was one of gaming’s biggest trolls ever! They rebounded that exceptionally well with Borderlands 2.

So. ..one main character or all of them?
    Movie filmed live action or somethin fun and goofy? What story arc are they going to follow. ..if any.
    Is Hollywood’s “creative interpretation” of Borderlands going to make me want to vomit like I do when I see anything Brian Singer touches. .I’m looking at what you did to Apocalypse you dirt bag.

• Jack says:

Al of this really makes me nervous. Especially seeing as the past two games have shed some light and Jack and Lilith seem like the most ‘main’ characters in the mix. Really, the only development we got was jack, so we’re pretty limited on protagonist viewpoints.

• Karasant says:

remember A Scanner Darkly? When i read the news of this becoming a thing i pictured them filming and then drawing over like they did for that movie. as far as protagonist, if i were making this movie i would do a group. not just one. this will pander to the masses and then make way for sequels and separate stories i just hope the whole thing doesn’t end up looking like a Mad Max ripoff

32. joe says:

ii would have to say knowing how bad moives based on video games are they would have to do something like tales from the borderlands i the way it is still in the same uivers

33. Handsome Jack says:

inb4 the movie sucks and will start by Marcus yelling “NO REFUNDS!” at the audience.

34. pon says:

I Think the borderlands world already looks like the mad max’s world.
    But I hope everything would be more cooler and chaotic. lol. I also expect to see CL4P-TP [claptrap] lol.

35. nrvs says:

Guns. This movie needs lots and lots of GUNS.

36. If Mr. Torgue isn’t in it, then I don’t care.

EXPLOSIONS!

37. Dearest Dave;

That image is actually from Borderlands 2, not Borderlands, which makes it unclear whether the movie will be based on the saga of the vault of The Destroyer or The Warrior (and Handsome Jack’s story).

38. Josiah says:

My only concern with a Borderlands movie is that people might assume it to be a Mad Max ripoff due to the similar location environments and the crazy character personalities. While I do understand Mad Max movies/novels were way beyond of Borderlands’ time, I hope people will realize that Borderlands have enough content and fun that it can stand and hold its own.

• Christian says:

Actually, Borderlands was inspired by many different things, including the Mad Max series. The series is chock full of pop culture references, not just from Mad Max either. I’m interested in seeing what they develop in reference to this movie, whether or not it’d be an animated film or a live action one. I seriously hope that it’d be animated rather than live-action because the cartoony animation style is partly what makes the games so great, in addition to the plot and gameplay, and I’d hate to see the movie go to live action and be so dreary-looking without the unique style that makes Borderlands what it is.

• Masa says:

Well I’d say Fury Road matches Borderlands with some visual similarity, but besides that Borderlands is different. Fury Road was almost all desert while Borderlands has more visual variety and also the addition of futuristic elements. I’m sure we can expect lots of comedy too.

• GreetingsTraveler says:

Fury Road is more what Borderlands was like before the cel shaded-esque revamp or maybe closer to Rage.

• zidders says:

It’s not a ripoff of Mad Max. It’s a ripoff of Codehunters.

39. santiago says:

when is the release date

40. Anon says:

This has great potential.