Ben Affleck on Playing ‘Older, More Broken, Kind of F—ed Up Batman’

Batman v Superman
Courtesy of Warner Bros.

If you were worried that Ben Affleck was too old to play Batman, you’re not alone. Affleck himself apparently harbored the same fear.

Affleck, 42, told Empire magazine that he initially thought the “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” role wasn’t “the right sort of fit” for him because of his age.

“Then [director Zack Snyder] pitched me his concept for this older, more broken, kind of f—ed up Batman,” Affleck told Empire. “It was something we haven’t seen. We have seen that Batman is willing to cross the line to protect people. That vigilantism has been a part of his character all along, and we are tapping into that mentality when faced by something as potentially as deadly as Superman.”

Snyder told the mag that Affleck’s Dark Knight is 45 or 46 years old, and is “having a crisis of conscience” after donning the cowl for 20 years and losing everyone near and dear to him (possibly including Robin).

“We want to assume that Batman has reached this point in his life and career as a superhero, and Superman represents a sort of philosophical change,” Snyder told Empire. “He is a paradigm shift for Batman: ‘I’ve been fighting criminals all my life, trying to find justice, and now I am confronted with a concept that is transcendent to me.’ In the face of Superman, a man robbing a bank doesn’t matter.”

Snyder, who said he passed on the opportunity to direct a Batman standalone movie out of respect for Christopher Nolan, revealed that “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” marks the beginning of a storyline that will tie together all DC superhero movies, including “Suicide Squad” and “Justice League.”

“What we are doing is ground up all the way. It is one giant story,” Snyder said. “The first thing we had was the Justice League concept. The other movies, in a way, have to support that. That is our Wonder Woman, our Aquaman. They have their own creative concepts that supports them, but they do serve Justice League in the coming together of those heroes.”

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” hits theaters on March 25, 2016.

1. Yuki Nagato says:

“Older, More Broken, Kind of F—ed Up”? Sounds like he is playing himself, effortlessly.

2. Bill B. says:

The concept sounds interesting & I’m not that much into this kind of mindless stuff. I hope they do a good job, but I still say that Cavill is wrong for the Superman role.

3. Jacques Strappe says:

Oh no, I suppose this tortured, guilt-ridden Batman will have relatives who were slave owners as well

• Sammy says:

Oh good grief… obviously Affleck did not know about this until they did the research and he is not a supremacist. You cannot judge one person on who his ancestors were unless he is doing the exact same thing. You are just a troll.

4. scottbruneau says:

42? Ok Ben … try playing Batman at… 60 ;-)

5. Norp says:

Snore.

Nothing very imaginative or interesting about any of that.
    Downbeat and cynical and screwed up characters have become the new normal.

• Jacques Strappe says:

It’s getting harder and harder to sit through a 2 hour dark, dour and depressing DC superhero movie. I loved the Batman comic books growing up and get the tortured past of a brooding Batman That being said, translating comic book pages to film with live actors requires a little less dourness and a little more lightness than the comic book pages. At least Tim Burton injected a little goofy fun in bringing his version of Batman to the big screen. Will every director attached to a Batman film try to out “Christopher Nolan” Christopher Nolan. I fear this Batman V Superman will be the same hot mess of Snyder’s Man of Steel Whatever criticism gets levied at this film, I suspect it will be less attributed to Affleck’s performance and more to the writing and direction.

• Michael H. says:

In the end, shouldn’t we blame Christopher Nolan for Christopher Nolaning it up?… HE set the standard, so don’t blame someone else.

And even though I’m not exactly a fan of Snyder, I mean I haven’t seen much of his work apart from ‘SuckerPunch’ which sucked, I will defend him for his more stylistic approach instead of doing “dark & gritty” in a more realistic way. Because if that was all it was going to be, I wouldn’t have been interested. This seems to be much more “dark & gritty” in a comicbook-y style, which is great. I don’t mind the dark and brooding thing if at least it’s in a fresh stylized manner. I mean, it’s going all-out, really, it’s not really holding back to be all TOO serious. Sincere and grim, yea, they’re not going to crack jokes like Marvel, but it’s also going to use supernatural elements and defy the laws of physics and whatever, so it’s probably not going to cry over Bruce Wayne’s knees so to speak, it’s just gonna use a Batman-armor/robot and punch Superman in the hope!

And to be fair, ‘Man of Steel’ seemed much more toned down of Snyder’s style, making it a lot duller than what it could have been if they let Snyder do his thing. Now Snyder seems to have all the freedom to make the movie the way he wants to. And Nolan isn’t involved with this anymore either, as he did have his pretentious hands on ‘Man of Steel’. So I think this movie might be pretty exciting and a little different.

6. Lou hodges says: