‘Batman v Superman’: Ben Affleck on ‘Ton of Pressure’ to Succeed, Exploiting DC Comics

Ben Affleck Batman
Courtesy of Warner Bros./Getty Images

In case it wasn’t clear that expectations for “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” are running extremely high at Warner Bros., star Ben Affleck put it in plain language.

“I think there is a ton of pressure on it,” Affleck said of the film, in which he plays Batman. “I mean I would be bulls—ting you to say there isn’t.”

Affleck was speaking about the March 25 film in connection with this week’s Variety cover story on Warners CEO Kevin Tsujihara. The actor-director spoke about how much he has enjoyed working with Tsujihara and how deeply involved the studio boss has been in the making of the superhero franchise picture and how he believes pushing the film into 2016 will pay off, big time.

Affleck said the press has had a lot to say about the struggles of many Warners’ films in 2015, but predicted that “Batman v Superman” will help launch a turnaround at the studio.

“You’ll see next year they are going to have a great year,” Affleck said. “They are now developing … probably the single greatest under-exploited IP asset in the entertainment business, the DC comic world. And now they have started to exploit that and you are going to see that blossom. And, when it does, it’s going to be massive.”

The Batman star praised Tsujihara for his deep involvement in “Batman v Superman,” which started with script meetings for the film.

“I was really impressed by that and by the intelligence of his notes, and the fact that he cared,” said Affleck. “It was not like some guys, especially at that level, where it would be, ‘We need a franchise movie … we just need a movie with the names ‘Batman’ and ‘Superman’ on it and it doesn’t matter what it is. For him, that wasn’t it. He was willing to take longer to make the movie to get it right to make it a movie of higher quality.”

Affleck’s commitment to the DC world is large. The star and WB rearranged the rest of his film schedule to make sure he had time for another DC spinoff, believed to be titled “The Batman,” and for his work on “Justice League,” which is expected to begin shooting next spring. Two other Affleck projects — the Gavin O’Connor-directed “The Accountant” and an adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel “Live By Night” — moved to accommodate the DC-based projects.

The actor sounded both annoyed and accepting of the massive expectations that await the “Batman v Superman” debut.

“We are a very kind of instant gratification culture when it comes to analyzing the film business. And there is a lot of hyperbole involved,” Affleck said. “Nonetheless, there’s a lot of pressure on it. If it doesn’t do well, that will be extremely disappointing.”

But he said he isn’t sure what will be judged as success, concluding: “I leave that to the experts to decide.”

1. erniecrx says:

Just want Barbara Gordon in it and it’s important that she’s part of the DCEU.

2. BillUSA says:

I grew up in the Sixties reading Batman comics and digging the television show. I will always despise the Tim Burton vision and fully embrace Christopher Nolan’s. When Affleck was announced as the next to fill the suit, I thought it would be doomed because Affleck has the acting range of a baseball made of lead. Plus, I had no idea why the Christian Bale version could not be continued – pitting him against Henry Cavill’s Superman. Then, as I’ve seen that Warner is bombing on the silver screen, it’s apparent that the studio knows not how to succeed at film making. Needless to say, I’m not expecting much in 2016’s release of Batman vs. Superman – despite the teaser trailer.

3. Occultology says:

“Guano versus Kryptonite, The Movie”

4. PaulaMWatson says:

”,,Read Now This…I g­­­e­­­­­­­t p­a­i­d­ ­o­v­e­r­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­$­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­8­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­7­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­/­­­­­­­­h w­­o­r­k­i­n­g­ ­f­r­o­m­ ­h­o­m­e­ ­w­ith 2 kids at home.. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over 10k a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless. Heres what I’ve been doing,…..
    ➤➤➤➤➤➤.
    …………………. Click.Here.To.Read.Full.Detail

5. cyrus says:

the movie is going to be terrible… just terrible….

6. PaulaMWatson says:

,,Read Now This…I g­­­e­­­­­­­t p­a­i­d­ ­o­v­e­r­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­$­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­8­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­7­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­/­­­­­­­­h w­­o­r­k­i­n­g­ ­f­r­o­m­ ­h­o­m­e­ ­w­ith 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over 10k a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless. Heres what I’ve been doing,…..
    ➤➤➤➤➤➤.
    …………………. Click.Here.To.Read.Full.Detail

7. franknitti1 says:

There is only pressure because Affleck was cast as Batman and his last outing as a hero was a total dud. Why anyone would take that chance with so much at stake is beyond me. I will say this though- the trailers look good but I have been fooled before.

8. Poppeyo Playboy says:

Doughboy & Pimplogy executive positions

9. the inside word says:

Being an industry insider this film is a genuine turkey which explains why it wasn’t released this year. Afleck is beyond ridiculous as The Batman. He is overwhelmingly awkward and uncomfortable in the role. Cavil proves to be more bland then his stint as Napoleon Solo from THE MAN FROM UNCLE. BATMAN AND SUPERMAN will bring Warner Brothers crashing to it’s knees with this lemon. Everyone will be blaming everyone else.

• TheEditor says:

“industry insider” i actually worked on this film in post, and i can say Warner bros has been putting their heart and soul into this film in order to deliver a quality product. you probably work as an office bitch or a secretary while the big kids upstairs actually make decisions.

• James says:

I agree – bad casting all round – and Zack Snyder is a visualist but nothing more. The third act of Man of Steel was a joke.

10. Bobbi says:

Whaaaaat? It’s BATMAN and SUPERMAN for cryin’ out loud. The movie will be great, no matter what!

11. Sir'Quentin Ross says:

Anybody who’s reading this comment section don’t let the haters fool you. “People hate what they don’t understand” These people are no good doubters and are entirely erroneous to trust. Don’t take their word on anything because I guarantee you that they’re wrong.

12. Anon says:

If you have to say “you’ll see,” likelihood is that you’re holding a dud. Warner Bros exploiting a new vein of comic book films is unconvincing, however. The relentless saturation of the genre is most apparent at WB, and even the executives there would candidly admit that they’re heading towards a brick wall and aren’t prepared for the sudden turnaround.

What we will see in 2016, though, most of that executive team will have been replaced (some rightfully so), and this movie will be the flop that will start a transition for both WB and Ben Affleck.

• Sir'Quentin Ross says:

Watch out we have a time traveler over here! Dude if you’re so negative and doubtful about this film despite it not even coming out yet, don’t see it. You can save yourself the “overbearing challenge” of giving this film a chance. You haters are a nuisance and extremely unfaithful, but hey that’s what haters do.

13. Frank says:

Ben Affleck looks like he will be a great Batman. The next Batman movie he directs himself sounds better.

If WB wants their comic book movies to be as good as Marvels, they should put Paul Dini and Bruce Timm from Batman Animated in complete charge.

14. T0rchwood says:

I won’t be seeing this because I am a conservative, and Ben Afleeck has stated that he won’t like me based on that fact alone. Too bad he has alienated half of his potential viewers. I am one of the few who actually LIKED Daredevil. But no, I didn’t watch Gigli either.

• @T0rchwood you say that like 50% of the voting population in the us is republican. not even close. according to polls taken at the beginning of this year the republican voting population only makes up 26% of the voters in the united states. take a look at the poll yourself.

• cadavra says:

I’m as liberal as can be, and yet my shelves are full of DVDs with John Wayne, Bob Hope, Jimmy Stewart, Myrna Loy, Bing Crosby, Irene Dunne, ad infinitum. Only conservatives are dense enough to boycott a movie because they disagree with someone’s political beliefs. People like you would bring back the blacklist in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it. Grow the hell up.

• Sir'Quentin Ross says:

Cool, nobody is gonna miss you anyways and someone will surely take your place that actually *cares* about this film.

15. Dunstan says:

There’s really no point in discussing what may have happened before, during or after production. Weigh in after the film is released and no, I have zero affiliation with WB, DC Comics or any related IP.

16. Ted says:

The script wasn’t finished until they were well into production and studio notes on an unfinished script don’t instill feelings of hope for this turd. The trailer will be EPIC, the movie will be disappointing, and the profits will be sub-Avengers. WB/DC should’ve handed off the Justice League to their in-house rockstar Bruce Timm and co – those dudes get the franchise and wouldn’t put grit and explosions over the legacy and integrity of the characters.

• That’s complete and utter BS! None of what you say is in any way true whatsoever!!

• Susie says:

That explains a lot about the story, actually. With apologies to Jason below, based on what I’ve heard about the story, what Ted’s said about what production was working with makes a lot of sense. Because everything I’ve heard falls into Snyder Watchmen-ing himself for a second time. Suicide Squad looks good, though, and I’m not entirely pessimistic about the rest of the franchise/various IPs.

• Sorry, Susie, but Ted is wrong and so are you. Stop reporting rumours fact. It’s all just BS!

• Joel says:

Sounds like some of the same issues that plagued WIZARD OF OZ (which also included numerous director’s coming-and-going). We know what a “turd” that turned out to be. Me, I’ll wait for the finished film. Right now, my only peeve so far is the mouse-eared cowl they’re using for Batman. (Yes, I know that’s how Frank Miller drew it…still looks stumpy.)

• Jason says:

It makes me happy that people like you have absolutely no say in how a movie is made. Just talking out of their behinds.