‘Back to the Future’ Writer: Donald Trump Inspired Biff

'Back to the Future': Donald Trump
Moviestore/Rex Shutterstock

Back to the Future” screenwriter Bob Gale has revealed that Donald Trump was the inspiration for Marty McFly’s arch nemesis Biff Tannen.

The revelation comes as part of a slew of nostalgic retrospectives on “Back to the Future Part II,” in which McFly (Michael J. Fox) and Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) travel to Oct. 21, 2015. Gale spoke to the Daily Beast about the similarities between Biff and Trump.

“We thought about it when we made the movie! Are you kidding?” Gale told the outlet when asked if he noticed Biff’s resemblance to Trump. “You watch ‘Part II’ again and there’s a scene where Marty confronts Biff in his office and there’s a huge portrait of Biff on the wall behind Biff, and there’s one moment where Biff kind of stands up and he takes exactly the same pose as the portrait? Yeah.”

“Part II” sees Tannen (played by Thomas F. Wilson) build a 27-story casino and gain political sway, which he uses to take over Hill Valley, Calif., where he insists on being called “America’s greatest living folk hero.”

Director Robert Zemeckis declared on Wednesday that there would be no additional “Back to the Future” films made.

“It is a well-made trilogy, and will stay that way,” he said.

1. not a gullible melon farmer says:

And Thomas F. Wilson says otherwise. It’s all bullshit. He has commented on fraudbook Pages making that statement that it’s all BS. There’s no way he could have based him on Trump at the time. HE IS on fraudbook if you search for him.

• Cometrumpence says:

Riiiiight…because surely you know better than the writer of the movie itself. Also, watch your language please. The other children sharing your computer might be trying to maintain some dignity.

2. auro says:

Trump was nowhere resembling biff in ’85. Either the writers had a deadly foresight, or Trump himself got inspired to emulate this bully, even physically.

3. Dan says:

Easy to prove another lie. Just google Donald Trump image 1985 when the movie was made. No similarity at all
    Only a child would believe this.

• Only a child would stick their hands over their ears and scream “I can’t hear you!”
      I knew about Hair Drumpf in the 80’s and hated him then. Thought he was a blowhard and a bully. Oh look, I was right.

• trishredhop says:

but 1989, when BTTF Part II came out, is definitely a possibility. The Taj Mahal Casino deal was pretty big news.

4. Matthew says:

Couple weeks ago when I watched part 2 for the first time since quite a few years, I totally thought, “oh my gosh, Donald Trump is darkest-timeline Biff Tannen…”

I guess I’m not too surprised it was intentional.

5. Altec Lansing says:

First one was great. Second was so-so. Third was terrible.

• Ian Hirst says:

Third was great. Great Wild West theme. 2nd tried to be too cleverand ended up a bit of a mess.

• GamingDude999 says:

I mean granted Part 2 was a bit of a but that doesn’t stop me from calling it my personal favorite Back To The Future Film overall with original film being my second favorite and as for Part 3 I do with you about it being a great Wild West theme but then again it’s my least favorite Back To The Future movies as I personally am not a fan of Wild West themed Hollywood stuff.

• GamingDude999 says:

I thought Part 2 was great but to each their own.