Ava DuVernay Confirms She Is Not Directing ‘Black Panther’

Ava DuVernay
Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic

Ava DuVernay has officially put an end to the rumors that she would be directing “Black Panther.”

In an interview with Essence on Friday, DuVernay provided a definitive answer concerning her possible involvement with the Marvel film.

“I’m not signing on to direct Black Panther,” she told the magazine. “I think I’ll just say we had different ideas about what the story would be. Marvel has a certain way of doing things and I think they’re fantastic and a lot of people love what they do. I loved that they reached out to me.”

She went on to suggest that there are no hard feelings between the studio and her. “I loved meeting Chadwick (Boseman) and writers and all the Marvel execs,” DuVernay said. “In the end, it comes down to story and perspective. And we just didn’t see eye to eye. Better for me to realize that now than cite creative differences later … I love the character of Black Panther, the nation of Wakanda and all that that could be visually. I wish them well and will be first in line to see it.”

The director, known for 2014’s “Selma,” seemed to cryptically contribute to these rumors herself. In response to activist Bree Newsome’s removal of the Confederate flag from the South Carolina capitol, she tweeted about directing “a motion picture about a black superhero I admire,” which many believed to be an allusion to “Panther” as well as Newsome’s act.

Marvel has slated the release of “Black Panther,” starring Boseman, for Nov. 3, 2017.

1. If they are insistent on hiring a black director for Black Panther, why not someone who knows action and has a track record for doing some quite good films: Antoine Fuqua.

2. Wendy says:

Ava starts all these rumors herself. Fame hungry race card puller. Brags discreetly. It was so funny how she hastened to finish Selma and enter it into awards then turned around to say she didn’t make the film for awards. Mediocre director who uses race propaganda to get ahead. Marvel didn’t hire her so how did she pass? I’m not even going to talk about the fiasco TV show. She’s whining race about that too.

3. Arnie Tracey says:

Brown, Yellow, Red, Black, or White, makes no diff. A director is just an overpaid, egotistical Traffic Cop. Skin color is irrelevant not magic.

Send in Woody Allen, or Carl’s son Rob. They’d get it done.

Or, better, Clint.

4. Cole says:

Looking at a woman that beautiful makes me so proud to not be gay.

5. Alex says:

They didn’t see eye to eye, that’s because you give Marvel what they want. If they don’t like your ideas then you do it their way or use the door. My guess is they didn’t like her ideas.

6. BillUSA says:

If Marvel is looking for black directors to helm a film about Black Panther they are as guilty of racism as anyone. I think there is some concern over how it would be perceived if a white director was installed but that’s just rubbish. You’re supposed to hire someone based on talent, opportunity, vision and a host of other qualities too numerous to list. I’m okay with anyone’s heritage, race skin color, what ever unless it’s the main reason why they are there. Documentaries are exempt. Historic pictures are exempt. Film versions of comic-book heroes? Wide open if you ask me. Just as long as they don’t try to change the sexual orientation of established characters.

7. CelluloidFan35mm says:

Is Marvel only looking for black directors for this because from the outside, that’s what it looks like.

• Of course says:

Marvel does what Franklin Leonard tells them to do.

• Mitch says:

If so, that’s a good thing for a change.

• CelluloidFan35mm says:

Or a PC and PR move because I get the feeling that they are looking for black directors specifically for Black Panther is because they’re black not for the talent or skills as a director and that’s just wrong to me.
        Just get a good, talented director regardless or race or gender and movie will fine.

8. lily says:

If she doesn’t want to, I am available – I’m a Marvel fan and a female director/writer:)…

9. Arnie Tracey says:

Good move, if that’s how she feels. Better than pulling a Terence Howard, i.e., make a blame-game hash of things ad nauseum.