Amanda Seyfried: ‘I Was Being Paid 10% of What My Male Co-Star Was Getting’

Amanda Seyfried Tatiana Maslany Neil LaBute
Manny Carabel/WireImage

Actress Amanda Seyfried has spoken out against wage inequality, saying that she was once paid 10% of her male co-star’s paycheck in an interview with the Sunday Times.

“A few years ago, on one of my big-budget films, I found I was being paid 10% of what my male co-star was getting, and we were pretty even in status,” the actress told the newspaper. “I think people think that just because I’m easy-going and game to do things I’ll just take as little as they offer… It’s not about how much you get, it’s about how fair it is.”

Although she did not name the film or co-star, Seyfried’s comment echoes a national movement fighting for income equality which states that women make 78 cents for every dollar a man earns. Earlier this year actress Patricia Arquette used her Academy Award victory as a platform to support wage equality, prompting a standing ovation from the likes of Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lopez. “It’s our time to have wage equality once and for all, and equal rights for women in the United States of America,” the “Boyhood” actress said.

More recently, the flip-side of wage inequality was brought to the fore this past weekend during San Diego Comic-Con when it was reported that Jennifer Lawrence would make $20 million in her upcoming flick “Passengers,” while her co-star Chris Pratt will make much less.

Seyfried’s notable credits include “Les Miserables,” “Mamma Mia!,” “Ted 2” and “Mean Girls.”

1. Madame Meritocracy says:

Don’t you earn what you negotiate?

2. yirmin snipe says:

There is no income gap for a-list actors, it just comes down to how much they are actually worth in terms of box office draw. Once an actor achieves $500,000/film the rest isn’t really a reflection of anything beyond the actual box office return the actor or actress provides to the producers. When your a plain Jane vanilla blond that audiences could easily mistake for any other then why would you expect to be making uber-pay. When you hire the right PR group to convince the public that your different from all the rest and they have to see you in whatever it is, then you’ll get paid more… talent isn’t a factor.

3. John Byrne says:

It really depends on “your spin” or your point of view in the article. Was Amandas pay cheque smaller because that’s all the studio was allowed to offer her in the above the line budget for the film, or could it be that her agent didn’t fight hard enough for her when it came to negotiating her fee for the film? As for that last Crack about Jennifer Lawrence making 20 million and Chris Pratt making “far less”, you should really do your research. Remember the film Silver Linings Play book, Jennifer got 10% of the fee that her male Co star got for that film..and yet..Jennifer won the Academy Award?! Imagine how that works (as I sit here scratching my head in disbelief). Jennifer was quoted months ago that she wouldn’t be underpaid again for film work, a quote that was originally filed through and verified by Variety. So check your sources your just rehashing old news to vilify Amanda.

• haha thanks for the laugh. Jennifer Lawrence was not a star yet and Cooper was already coming off big movies like A Team and Hangover II. Has already signed on to do American Hustle, Gaurdians of the Galaxy and other films before that. She said she wouldn’t be underpaid but that is because she finally made a name for herself. Fucking do your own research.

4. What a great way of urging producers not to hire you!

5. Jason says:

The wage income gap is a myth. When all factors are included, the gap shrinks to 2-3%. Also, its not like she has much box office success. Except for Les Mis and Mama Mia thats about the only movies she’s done that have grossed over $100M. I also don’t think anyone went to see those movies because of her.

Also, she’s easy?! Where was her agent?! She acts like she negotiated the salary by herself.

I would love to find out what the movie was….. how much success her co-star has had at the box office and what her agent has to say.

6. See, I’m all for the idea of wage equality and of course I agree with it in principal. But no one names names. No one says where it exists. They just act vague and state some statistical figure that is impossible to really prove. If it exists, tell us where so we can actually do something about it. Just bringing it up doesn’t help anyone. As if the working women who were actually shafted in pay can relate to actresses who earn their life’s wages in one project.

7. You are worth exactly what you can get. If you do not think you are being paid enough, ask for more, if they do not give it to you, you do not have to take the job.
    People, I promise there is not conspiracy when it comes to pay for women vs men, all employers pay you as little as they can, you do not have to take the job in the same way they do not have to give it to you.
    If another person is getting paid more, man or woman, it means they were wanted more than you or the other person demanded more when you did not and in show business there is all kinds of other factors.
    Now, I want to know the movie and the male star. I am guessing she is talking about Dear John with Channing Tatum.

8. Troubadour Russ says:

Exactly so what..Get a better agent and stop bitching . Go cry on the money you’ve already made.If you don’t want it give it to me. The fact that all actors and actresses are way overpaid ..cry me a fucking river!!!

9. Eydin says:

I agree, that was her agents fault and she should be glad she makes as much as she does. Second, that 78 cents line has been debunked for over a decade. And lastly, it has nothing to do with gender or even talent, what it comes down to is how much draw your name brings to the box office.

10. Real says:

I would never pay a man more than a woman, when the budget comes in I apportion fairly. But to be honest honey I been used to make over 500 productions I am a writer and I been starved and many of these so called stars male and female know I was and did absolutely nothing about it. So at the end of the day I now pay the people who pay me.

11. Phillip Ayling says:

We have movie stars whining about who’s salary is the greater. They don’t deal with studios… generally they employ agents to negotiate overscale beyond very healthy SAG minimums. Meanwhile millions in this country don’t have jobs or aren’t paid a living wage. I get it.

12. OzDir says:

…if you call 20 million bucks for anyone in the movie business an ‘owed’ income. I’m not judging any actor’s talent or personality, but so much money for what amounts to sometimes 12 weeks of fully catered, ‘assisted’ and all around looked-after ‘work’ is pretty insane no matter what your sex. (I’m the same way about corporate CEOs, by the way…)

13. mikanewf says:

I don’t think the one example of J-Law (who has an Oscar, two nominations, fronts one of the top-grossing franchises of the decade and is also in a Marvel franchise) making more than Chris Pratt (who is catching up but not halfway there) is an example of a “flipped” trend so much as it’s the rare example of a actress getting what she is owed.

14. me says:

She should be happy that they let her “act” and get paid for it at all.