AFM: Sci-Fi Thriller ‘Pennsylvania’ in the Works as Movie

AFM: Sci-fi Thriller 'Pennsylvania' in the
Courtesy of Refugio Publishing

Jorgensen Pictures is developing Michael Bunker’s science-fiction novel “Pennsylvania” as a feature film, Variety has learned exclusively.

The banner is introducing the project to buyers at the American Film Market, which opened Wednesday.

The story, published last year, centers on a young Amish man who signs up for an emigration program to help colonize the planet of New Pennsylvania to start a farm and homestead on affordable land in a new Amish community. But when he arrives in the middle of a rebel uprising, he will discover that being a stranger in the old world doesn’t even compare to being a stranger in a new world.

Stacy Jorgensen is producing. Her credits include the sci-fi horror film “Grey Skies” and the upcoming comedy “Rehab.”

Bunker is adapting the first draft of the screenplay. He was repped in the rights deal by Jeff Gerecke of G Agency.

1. Mhemi says:

This book is incredible! It is so different from anything else out there. Michael Bunker makes it work flawlessly. With a story like Martian being made into a great movie, I look forward to what Hollywood can do with Amish Sci-fy!

2. Amish Sci-fi caught my attention. I’d never heard the term before… but I know it now! I was very pleased as this story unfolded. Bunker does a superb job of blending the two very different things (in my head anyhow) together. It’s exciting to think that It could become a movie! I’m positive that many, many others would love it. I’d go see it for sure!

3. Coco Chadwick says:

This is exciting news! Pennsylvania is one of my favorites..

4. Ingrid says:

Wonderful news! I read the book, listened to the audiobook, and now a movie will be made, how wonderful!

5. Diane Geraldizo says:

This was a good book and would be even better as a movie or a TV series. Michael Bunker has written quite a few books that are also good. Hope this goes somewhere.

6. Kimo Achay says:

Loved the book & would love to see it on the big or little screen. In fact, all his books are good. Amish sci-fi was new to me but now love reading it.

7. This is great news. I loved this book, reminds me of Heinlein, can’t wait to see how this turns out.

8. This is extremely exciting news! I have read these novels, and it’s Robert A Heinlien mixed with ‘Witness’! A fantastic story!!!! It would make an excellent film, very similar to minority report or total recall.

I simply can’t wait.

9. reesekgreese2010 says:

Michael Bunker writes amazingly good books.I would love to see this book made into a movie.

10. Preston says:

Love this story and every other Michael Bunker story. I really hope this is made into a movie or tv show. That would be amazing.

11. Joy says:

I love the Pennsylvania Omnibus and am thrilled that it may be on the golden screen.

12. Excellent! I loved this series of books, and can’t wait for the film to be made! At last, something different in the world of sci-fi!

13. I’ve read Pennsylvania twice, the first time as it was serialized. Each part was addticing and thrilling as we saw a young Amish man embark on a journey to the Stars. I didn’t know what to think about the genre, Amish Sci-fi, but on top of a character you love right away, it also combines space exploration, colonizing new lands, discovering new technology, fighting a tyrannical government, and a romantic mystery to tie it all together. This is the unqiue story we need to see on the big screen. This series can be big time, and deserves to be!