Top 10 Pirated Movies of 2015 See Alarming Increase in Downloads

Top 10 Pirated Movies of 2015

The movies that were the most pirated in 2015 may not come as much surprise–but how much they got pirated is sure to shock.

Some of the biggest blockbusters at the box office this year proved just as popular among torrent users: “Furious 7,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron” and “Jurassic World” were the top three worldwide, according to piracy tracking firm Excipio, which monitored activity from the beginning of the year through Dec. 25.

When movies from 2014 are included in the tally, “Interstellar” was actually the most downloaded film of 2015, owing to the fact popular movies from the previous year spend more cumulative time in circulation among pirates. The same was true last year when the 2013 movie “Wolf of Wall Street” led the pack in 2014.

But “Wolf” drew just over 30 million downloads–55% less than the nearly 47 million that “Interstellar” commanded. If the four 2014 titles that made the 2015 list are factored in, “Wolf” would not have even made the top 10 list this year, as No. 10 movie, “The Secret Service,” grabbed 31 million downloads.

Excipio didn’t change how it monitored piracy this year, and the tracking period is roughly the same. While the surging numbers clearly indicates piracy continues unabated worldwide, the growth of overseas markets like Brazil are key to fueling totals as well.

“Furious 7” atop the list isn’t a surprise given it has been a magnet for piracy since its April release.

#1) 46,762,310 Interstellar (2014)
#2) 44,794,877 Furious 7 (2015)
#3) 41,594,159 Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
#4) 36,881,763 Jurassic World (2015)
#5) 36,443,244 Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
#6) 33,953,737 American Sniper (2014)
#7) 32,126,827 Fifty Shades of Grey (2015)
#8) 31,574,872 The Hobbit: Battle Of The Five Armys (2014)
#9) 31,001,480 Terminator: Genisys (2015)
#10) 30,922,987 The Secret Service (2014)

#11) 26,792,863 Focus (2015)
#12) 25,883,469 San Andreas (2015)
#13) 23,495,140 The Minions (2015)
#14) 22,734,070 Inside Out (2015)

1. I´m a journalist who´ve followed the piracy problem for fifteen years, and to tell you the truth I´m relally fed up with it. I realise there´s no way to stop it, but it´s an ongoing fight and there should really be a big risk for people to pay the price – literally – for this. These people threaten to kill certain parts culture and show business. In a slow way, but they still kill it. These are not victimless crimes. It´s time for these parasites to get nailed and to set an example with those who get caught.

2. Tom says:

I pay for Netflix and HBO, and I also download movies that I could watch on Netflix & HBO go. Why?
    Because downloading torrents and using VLG player to watch movies works a lot better than Netflix and HBO go. When HBO and Netflix make a product that works, maybe I’ll stop downloading torrents.

3. jinadatta says:

Its out of line, familiar practice; studios can use video water markings and subsequent analytics through which more of this statistics can be updated. And how much of this Analytics we really use where we are getting into on demand, online content more while cable content bites dust is to be decided by companies driving online video/media.

4. Poorstreetkidwithwifi says:

That’s how it is with Internet. I’ve always downloaded games and movies since I was a kid. I would’ve never bought them in the first place, I only downloaded because it was there. So no one is losing money they never gained. Simple as that.
    How many of the downloads are from children and teenagers who’d never see or pay for the movie otherwise?

I actually saw mad max twice in the theatre and downloaded it twice. The movies that I actually want to see will get my money so you can’t sell me something I don’t want. It only looks like they’re losing money because they only see those numbers as dollar signs that arenot theirs or ever will be greedy bastards. But they are really losing money by spending money to try to fix the “problem”

5. MovieJay (@MovieJay) says:

Piracy is bad, I get it, but the larger issue in my mind is that the film industry is uniformly awful at protecting particularly their award season movies. It appears that every single noteworthy screener from every single studio has been uploaded online. I read that’s due to the fact that hacker groups can easily get the passwords for digital screeners that critics/award judges get in order to stream movies.

Seems to me the best way to mitigate the piracy of the season is to make these “products” available to consumers in a more timely fashion.

6. Teecha says:

Until the industry removes the following phrase from its streaming sites “Due to copyright restrictions, this content is not available in your region” I will torrent what I must. Why must I be denied access to entertainment just because I happen to live outside the US/EU?

7. How is “30 million downloads–55% less than the nearly 47 million”?
    it is about 36% less.

8. salvage says:

“Piracy” has always been a thing, it has no effect on anyone’s bottom line, Hollywood would be better off if they accepted that and released movies on the Internet at the same time as they do the theaters rather than paying lawyers to sue fans.

9. JD says:

I hope all those who judge others haven’t watched or used a software they haven’t paid for.

10. Alex says:

Oh wow, boo hoo,like this ever had an impact on the industry WHAT SO EVER – same goes to music industry. Hollywood is bathing in tons of money yet they complain about piracy. I haven’t seen any studios getting into bankruptcy due to piracy. Yeah…because they’re greedy and want more money that’s why.

11. ALERT! says:

The biggest mistake the film industry can make is to use the online streaming service as a distribution platform alongside theatres.

Piracy rates can reach up to 453% in three months if they do what I’ve mentioned above.

There is a reason for this. The quality difference.

12. James Ravens says:

“Armys” lol

13. Blow says:

just cause there are 46 million downlods doesnt mean 46 million people downloaded it. I downloaded Interstellar 4 times myself getting a good copy

14. Vermillionskin says:

I always buy DVDs, or at least I buy the DVDs of good films after checking reviews and ratings. Even when you buy a DVD, it is not really yours. I worked in different regions and all the DVDs i bought in South East Asia can’t be played in the US, so as the ones I bought in Dubai. So, I have a great number of DVDs that can’t be played although I have purchased them legally, and some of them weren’t cheap!.

15. What would be good is a chart to contrast the pirate downloads against box office revenues, and express piracy as a percentage of the gross movie receipts.

• Ryan says:

Good idea, but it wouldn’t be perfectly accurate. It would work for the times in the past, for example, that I’ve watched something free on the Internet because it wasn’t available to watch paid at the moment (between theater and disc release), but most of my boredom strikes watching were things I would never consider paying to watch.

Haven’t downloaded anything in many years, by the way. Decided something not worth my money wasn’t worth my time, either.

16. Hey says:

The tragic part is that they aren’t even stealing good movies.

17. Thetoxicavenger says:

People who justify this are pathetic. You can rent movies on demand for 2.99$ you don’t have to go to the movie theater. I’m sick of people saying they can’t afford 14$ to sees movie of their choosing and yet pay phones that cost 700$. We need to prosecute people who steal and at the same time provide people with more legal options to see movies. It’s sometimes easier to download a movie than to rent it legally and that should NEVER happen.

• Seriously these people... says:

A phone lasts for years while a movie lasts….a couple of hours. I’m sick of you morons who think that 14$ is a decent price for a movie at the theater. The theater prices need to go down. Prosecuting someone for downloading a movie is ridiculous. It’s just copying, nothing more. It doesn’t hurt the movie or music industry in any way. People who download stuff are usually people who wouldn’t buy that content even if it was the only choice. So…zero losses.

• Jameson says:

Whether or not $14 is a reasonable price for a movie ticket is debatable and not really the point (though I would agree with you that this is a bit high). The point is simply this: When you download content for free without permission from the owner/controlling party despite their protest, you are stealing that content. Now, if you are okay with stealing said content, that’s one thing, but you can’t really fault the content’s owner for pressing charges if and when you’re busted. You have stolen something from them, which gives them every reason and right to go after you via the law.

Regarding your other claim that “People who download stuff are usually people who wouldn’t buy that content even if it was the only choice” is completely baseless and apparently false. Look at the numbers. Movie piracy has significantly changed the industry. It has affected what kind of movies get made. Most movies now are either huge blockbusters or small indie films. Most of the middle ground is no longer being made, or at least not in the same way they were before piracy became the sizable issue it is now, and as the problem continues and/or grows, the effect on the industry will become more severe. More movies will cease being made. All of this is a direct result of the number of people who, if not for having access to download it for free, would absolutely have paid to see it either in the theater, on blu-ray/DVD, or on Netflix or HBO. This is why I am extremely aggravated at those who insist on continuing to download movies for free: They are screwing the rest of us by directly causing movies to not be made – some of which I most assuredly would have watched and loved and now will never experience thanks to the selfishness of these people.

Love movies? STOP PIRATING THEM.

• Ryan says:

Correction: it’s always easier, and the more they try to make it harder, the easier it is compared to the legal method. Any movie or TV episode can be watched within 10 seconds of opening a web browser, without installing anything, signing up for anything, or paying a penny beyond your line fees.

• salvage says:

How can anyone “steal” a copy of a movie? If you used a VHS to record a TV show are you “stealing” it?

18. Michael Davis says:

A few years ago I downloaded Assassin’s Creed III from a pirate site. Now I have actually bought every Assassin’s Creed game that has been released. So in my case “stealing” was a good thing for the company and the brand.

19. Pirate Cat says:

Sorry for bad English. There is much room for evolving; there could be a social media around movie tickets. You buy a ticket and get access to a group which includes only people who have bought a ticket to the same movie. And the people could make fun of pirates. And post cat pictures.

20. Charleston Ratcastle says:

I torrent regularly and make no excuses. It’s stealing and I couldn’t care less.

• Tom says:

Thank YOU! I steal movies too. And if someone lest an ungaurded pile of cash in their driveway I might steal that too.

• WTF Guy says:

Not only are you a thief, you’re a narcissistic cock roach.

• Jameson says:

This “It’s just a COPY!!1!ONE!!” argument is mind-bogglingly bereft of logic. You know what else is a copy? A blu-ray or DVD. By these idiots’ rationale, the only action that would warrant stealing when it comes to movies would be stealing the original film reels.

• Oookay says:

Thief? Hardly. It is not stealing when you download a COPY. White knight idiot. Do you enjoy playing a lawful citizen? I bet you’re one of those who never do anything against any rules because “it’s wrong”.

• Rex says:

So “people” wouldn’t go to see these movies they deem inferior, but they’re perfectly fine ACTUALLY WASTING THE TIME WATCHING THEM ANYWAY even though they’re not worth watching? You see the dipstick logic in that argument, don’t you, douchebag?

• Destardi says:

Stealing: an item is present, then removed from possession
        Piracy: an item is present, a copy is made

Many of these films a person would never have gone to see in the first place.
        San Andreas?? Minions? Lol I mean really.

21. Mr Furious says:

Here’s the thing: it costs too much to go to the damn theater anymore. That, plus the fact that 99% of the movies that have come out in the last fifteen years have been rancid. Now, you can look at those numbers and think “Holy crap! That movie got downloaded 500,000 times! That’s $4 million that was lost!” but that’s not really true. Most of the people that download a movie wouldn’t have gone to the theater to watch it anyway. The studios don’t LOSE anything from them because they wouldn’t have gained anything from them anyway. Most people that would go to the theater go to the theater. Here’s another thing: studios love to bitch and moan about piracy but their crappy movies are making a billion dollars anyway. And, one last thing: most people that download games, movies, or albums just want to try before they buy. If they like it, they buy it. As I mentioned before the vast majority of movies that come out these days are pure crap as are games and albums. It’s almost all homogenized, corporate product and not worth spending a dime on.

• Angry at Downloaders says:

Your argument is flawed. You are assuming that the issue involves the cost of going to see the movie in the theater and that that is what how the film companies make money (which money in turn gets paid to many different people involved with making the movie). There are several ways for the film companies to make money from a film release which have a much lower price point for the consumer than a theater ticket, including DVD sales, video-on-demand, cable tv and FREE network TV broadcasts. The high cost of a theater ticket is no excuse for people who download. If you think that the movies are terrible, then don’t watch them. Read a book. Take a walk in a park. Jerk yourself off. Entertain yourself some other way, BUT DO NOT STEAL INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. It is property. Just because you cannot physically touch it does not make it any less of a form of property. People make their livelihoods creating films, TV shows, etc. Have you ever watched the main titles and end titles of a movie? Those are all the people that downloaders steal from – it is NOT just the studios.

22. Stealing is wrong says:

Amazing! when theives get to decide what is theft is the definition get convoluted!

23. Ben Champ says:

I think its clear that the business model that the movie producers keep pushing is flawed. Going to the cinema should not be the only way to see the latest film.

I think a lot of the cases its probably down to lazy people that would probably have no problem paying something to see the film but not the £10 it costs these days to go to a cinema where you are ripped off for snacks as well.

The industry needs to change and streaming the latest films is definitely one way to start reaping on the demands of those customers who use services such as Sky and Netflix.

You either evolve with the industry or you get left behind.

• WTF Guy says:

Don’t like the cost of the snacks than don’t buy them. Where does it state you have to feed your face when watching a movies? Ugh. Humans.

• Vishnu says:

Piraxcy isn’t the ‘industry’, it’s piracy. People taking something that doesn’t belong to them – the labor of the artists that created the film. There’s a reason that direcdt to strreaming and direct ot video movies are cheap – because they don’t make as much moiney. You get what you pay for.

• anon says:

I like there’s a company paid to look at kickass and pirate bay makes money from it. stupid. They haven’t got a clue, they’re not looking at all the private trackers. Idiots.

24. I watched Concussion Wednesday at the Century Theater in Richmond, CA. There was a couple with their phone up and on the entire length of the movie. I complained to the theater personnel who were right outside that particular theater room. When the couple exited, I even pointed them out. The female lunged at me, but the guy held her back. The two Century Theater employees said there was nothing they could do and directed me to “guest services.” The couple left while I was waiting in line at “guest services.” A security guard came over and said that the two theater employees were supposed to contact him immediately. He was upset. Then, the manager came, denied any of it happened, and gave me two guest passes.

25. Bill says:

At $4 to $20 lost per download, the red ink here is simply staggering.

One would think Hollywood need to do more to come up with ways to stop and prosecute these thieves.

In reality they don’t care, given how many movies are available, in full, even on YouTube, a company that theoretically vets itself.

Pity is it’s not the stars or directors that will be hurt, it’s below the line crew and those working in the studios’ home video divisions that will get fired or not see bonuses.

So many say these crimes are “victimless” but there are many who used to work for Warner Home Video alone who could tell you that’s not at ALL true.

All because people have come to believe this virtual shoplifting is “no big deal.”

• thegreatga says:

You are an idiot if you think they lost 4-20 dollars per film. You are assuming that these individuals would have gone. It’s people like you that don’t have an actual clue to what is happening. If someone records something are they actually stealing it? If someone records you with a camera phone are they truely shoflifting something from you?

• Jameson says:

You’re calling him an idiot while simultaneously comparing the act of attaining a free copy of a film made by the work of tons of people and the act of videoing someone walking around in public.

Irony.

26. scobro828 says:

Lead story: Box Office Has Record Year
    Second story: Alarming Increase in Pirated Movies

What a symbiotic relationship they have.

• Exandrus says:

“I wouldn’t have paid to see it anyway.”
      Then you don’t GET to see it! That’s how this works.There are lots of things I wouldn’t pay to see/have/do – so I don’t see/have/do them. I’m not entitled to them. I’m not justified in acting illegally because I don’t like the price. I just go without. Ticket prices are too high. Actors and studio execs get paid too much. And so on and so on and so on – and all true! Guess what – you’re STILL in the wrong.

• MatisyahuSerious says:

is he a product that was created to be sold in a commercial market?

have fun distributing your straw men around the internet, chief.

• Matt says:

Bill, you are mistaken. It is in no way, shape or form ‘virtual shoplifting’. It is that kind of thinking that is the problem with the current system. Don’t get me wrong l’m not condoning people breaking copyright agreements, but your analogy is very very poor and very mistaken in understanding the situation.

• Bill says:

Yes, imagine how much better the year would have been had so many not come to believe outright theft is perfectly fine.

• rfk says:

Imagining that every pirated copy would have become a paid sale is a fantasy that copyright holders cling to without any supporting evidence.

27. Izzy says:

Did you mean KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE????

28. MatisyahuSerious says:

thats one way to spell ‘armies’…

More Digital News from Variety