Oscars: Lady Gaga, Julie Andrews ‘Sound of Music’ Is Top Social Moment

Oscars: Lady Gaga, Julie Andrews 'Sound

Lady Gaga — a.k.a. Stefani Germanotta, who appeared at the Academy Awards in a flowing, diaphanous gown — sang a medley from “The Sound of Music” and then greeted original star Julie Andrews, in what was the No. 1 social moment from Sunday’s Oscars, according to both Facebook and Twitter.

“You were amazing,” Andrews whispered into the ear of Lady Gaga, after the latter’s belting performance of the songs, written by Richard Rodgers with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein. “Dear Lady Gaga,” Andrews said to the audience, “thank you for that wonderful tribute, oh my God. It really warmed my heart.”

Lady Gaga sang the “Sound of Music” songs to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the movie’s release.

Those were a few of the social-sphere’s favorite things.

Per Twitter, that was the top Oscars moment in terms of tweets per minute, followed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu’s “Birdman” win for best picture.

Facebook also said the Gaga-Andrews scene was the No. 1 moment, out of 58 million interactions by 21 million people engaged in the Oscars on the social network globally on Sunday, Feb. 22.

Watch Lady Gaga’s performance below:

1. byibush7 says:

Reblogged this on Music and Politics.

2. Cristina says:

A very rare moment to see Lady Gaga doing this kind of performance and would surely look forward to see her doing more of this. Just pure talent.

3. Maria Corrales says:

Outstanding performance by Lady Gaga!!!

4. Diana says:

Gaga has redefined her career. I hope that she understands that she should let go of all the negative stuff and hold onto what she created anew.

5. Jill Meadows says:

Simple, Beautiful, graceful, elegant and the truest form of her natural talent. THANK YOU. So very refreshing to see CLASS again!!

6. Jill Meadows says:

WOW!! Brilliant performance, brilliant irony, and I KNEW that woman could sing better than her current genre displays. I could always hear the undertones of such a beautiful gifted voice in her “other” songs, but I am SO proud of what she showed the world on this stage. Stunningly beautiful woman with a voice as big as the universe. I wish she could share her true skills with that amazing voice with Adrea Borcceli and other greats of the opra. I just truly appreciated this performance. She is a lovely woman.

7. Tom says:

Still in shock by that incredible performance. How did she morph from a sometimes entertaining circus act to Streisand, age 28? Even if she wears another meat dress I will still see the talent of her generation under it. She is on top of the world right now, and I am happy for her.

8. Joan Johnson says:

I never liked nor disliked Lady Gaga, but after awards demonstratation, (i). I am agreed. This time i , I love it! She did it justice!

9. Loretta Zwickel says:

Lady GaGa made the Oscars for me. She was beautiful and brilliant
    but it was the Grand Dame Julie Andrews the Epitome of Graceful Elegance and aging with Channel level Style- such a superb Lady.
    Thank you both for a Memorable moment in time.

10. bob says:

Look, people; she’s been able to sing like this all along, right? So, don’t you get the joke? It’s hilarious!!! Exceptional talent over-doing it for the old-fashioned gimps!! I love it!!! In fact, just watch her with the sound off for the over-done gestures. I mean, I love those songs too, but this performance was too much. Thank you Ga Ga! (except for that last note)

11. Bob C. says:

I love Lady Gaga! She did a great job singing THE SOUND OF MUSIC songs so elegantly. Elegant dress. Elegant hair. And then she raised her arms and the elegant mood turned to mush with those UGLY TATTOOS! She shoulda worn a dress that covered her arms. It literally looked like gorilla hair coming down from her armpits!.Several people mentioned it and you can’t discount it.

12. Pam Cleggett says:

Forgot to mention Gaga’s tattoos wrecked her performance and she messed up the last lyric, Dream. Susan Boyle would have knocked those short clips from Sound of Music out of the park, The best singer in the world today is Susan Boyle-with her perfect pitch and clear vocals there is no one that can match the quality of her voice.

• Sylvia says:

Pam, please quit running your yap. Your petty BS shows just what a troll you are. No one gives a rat’s ass what you think. Now take your meds and go to bed.

13. Pam Cleggett says:

Gaga had a Susan Boyle moment,

14. Sylvia says:

Oh Will, you are a foul creature polluting this board. Go away troll boy.

15. Sherman says:

Lady Gaga was simply amazing last night. What a wonderful performance of the songs from THE SOUND OF MUSIC. As Julie Andrews said, BRAVO!

16. Lady Gaga sounded like she was attempting to imitate Julie Andrews but her phrasing was failing her quite badly. She looked quite uncomfortable in the dress and the arm and hand gestures were wooden and stiff. She appeared very much out of her element. I do think Gaga has a nice singing voice but that does not mean she can throw herself into any genre she pleases. I was a little bit embarrassed for her to tell you the truth. The statement of appreciation from Julie Andrews was classy to say to least.

17. Have to say that Gaga’s commanding performance of Julie Andrews music (and it does belong to Julie) was quite extraordinary. She put a lot of effort, work and chutzpah into the performance and deserves the accolades that have come her way. Haven’t been a fan up until the CD with Tony Bennett but …no doubt, the Lady has talent. I have tremendous respect for anyone capable of reinventing themselves in such a respectful manner. Step back and sit down Madonna…you’ve been overcome in a big way!!!

18. Aida Blasini says:

lADY Laga was beutifu her voice magnificent but above all she behave so classy. She has a new fan

19. Jack Rupert says:

This is why I watch the Oscars!!!! Just for a rare moment to surface and make the evening much brighter. I have watched the Oscars every year since 1970 and I cherish the moments like this one between Lady GAGA and Julie Andrews……It’s old school meeting and accepting new school. But as the saying goes….The more things change the more they stay the same…….Off my soapbox……JR

20. CMarks says:

Lady Gaga was amazing. She wasn’t trying to imitate Julie Andrews any more than Ms. Andrews was trying in 1965 to imitate Mary Martin (who originated the role on stage). These beautiful songs will always be associated with Julie Andrews but they truly belong to the world and deserve to be sung – often. I found the performance to be moving and respectful and I honestly believe Ms. Andrews was, as she said, touched. At a time when many popular singers rely heavily on technical “enhancement” it was a vert pleasantly presented tribute to a classic movie.

• Big John says:

Actually, Julie didn’t try one bit to imitate Mary Martin. The score was actually transposed up since Mary Martin had a really low alto voice. Another interesting caveat is that Mary Martin was 46 years old when Sound of Music opened. Julie was 30 when the movie was released. I think Gaga did it in Gaga’s voice. I didn’t hear any imitation whatsoever. What I did hear was a young artist respecting a different musical genre. THAT makes me respect here all the more. She really is a special talent and “gets it.” What she did is reached out to an entirely different group of fans. It was a brilliant move on her part. And she did a brilliant job!

21. Ian says:

Admittedly the best musical performance of the show! No one can replace Julie Andrews but this was a great effort by Lady G! However, the arm movements and pulling on the dress was distracting, and at the end with her arms outstretched, having to see the tats on her arms was a downer to the performance. It took the classy edge off the performance. Wish she would have worn long sleeves.

22. Tina Petchwebb says:

Amazing…….
    I’m crying….brilliant Lady Gaga xx

23. deborah lawrence says:

sorry but you cant get better than julie andrews brilliant attempt lady gaga xx

24. Kelly says:

I was pleasantly surprised with LG.

25. Jimmy Green says:

nope…not a syllable was lip synched

• Ken says:

jimmy exactly, if that were the case, that last note would have gotten fixed up a bit, but I loved that she was slightly off. Beyonce and Mariah would never have been that real.

26. I kinda wondered about the lip synching too.

27. deborah lawrence says:

live in uk loved lady gaga performing but there is only every going to be one julie andrews

28. She was amazing! She brought tears to my tears to my eyes. She looked beautiful and her singing was the best I have ever heard her sing!

29. Richard L says:

I have no idea why people are praising her performance. Yes it was good but it wasn’t amazing. She sang as if she was doing an impression of the queen singing the sound of music. It was weird.

30. John says:

It’s nice to know that a film that touched me deeply as a child is still touching new generations like Lady G. That’s the power of Music. TSOM is so elemental in its approach to musical structure which makes it accessible to all. Rogers and Hammerstein were genius.

31. Doby Gillis says:

Gaga’s superb tribute to the iconic Julie Andrews’ beloved legacy was flawless.

32. No surprise there is a huge demand for family friendly human affirming films, tv, music. The networks and studios have lost sight of budgets to include The Sound of Music family family style productions. Sharon Hardee Jimenez Bring Hollywood Home

• jhs39 says:

You must live in an alternate universe–almost everything Hollywood makes is for children or teenagers–the audience that Hollywood largely ignores is adults, not children. It’s late February and these films aimed at children have been released since the start of the year–Paddington; Strange Magic; and The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water. Movies aimed at older children and teens so far in 2015: The Woman In Black 2: Angel of Death; Project Almanac; Jupiter Ascending; and The Seventh Son. March will see the release of the live action Cinderella and the Dreamworks cartoon Home and for older children and teens there is a new Divergent film and Chappie. So in the first three months of 2015 there will have been 5 movies aimed at children and families (one every 2.4 weeks) and 6 aimed at older children and teens (one every 2 weeks again). It doesn’t sound like Hollywood is ignoring the youth market to me.

33. jeannette banas says:

HI EVERYBODY, LADY GAGA WAS AT HER ABSOLUTE BEST !!!! I EVEN GOT TEARS IN MY EYES. I KNOW SHE CAN SING JUST ABOUT ANYTHING BUT OSCAR NIGHT WAS THE TOPPER OF THEM ALL, LIKE THE CHERRY ON TOP. SHE IS FANTASTIC WITH TONY BENNETT BUT THIS PERFORMANCE WAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST I EVER SEEN HER. I FOLLOWED HER FROM DAY ONE AND “GAGA” IS INCREDIBLE. SHE CAN SING ANYTHING. GREAT PERFORMANCE “GAGA” AND CONGRATS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT. BEST TO YOU ALWAYS!

More Digital News from Variety