Netflix Renews ‘Orange Is the New Black’ for Season 4

Netflix Renews 'Orange Is the New

Netflix’s “Orange Is the New Black” will be returning for a fourth season in 2016, the company announced.

Season 3 of “OITNB” will premiere June 12 on Netflix in all territories. The renewal isn’t a surprise: “Orange” has been one of the top-performing original series on the service, execs have said.

The series has garnered more than 20 awards, including three Emmy Awards and two GLAAD Media Awards, and is a recipient of a Peabody Award and a Television Critics’ Assn. Award. It’s produced for Netflix by Lionsgate.

Jenji Kohan (Showtime’s “Weeds”) is series creator and showrunner of “Orange Is the New Black,” based on the memoir of the same name by Piper Kerman about an upper-crusty Brooklynite sentenced to prison after running drugs for an acquaintance (and, as it happens, her lover). Taylor Schilling stars in the lead role as Piper Chapman. Cast includes Laverne Cox — the transgender actress who’s been a breakout star from the show — Laura Prepon, Kate Mulgrew, Uzo Aduba and Natasha Lyonne.

Also Wednesday, Netflix released a new clip from season 3 of the show:

1. Yvonne says:

Is there going to be fifth series in Orange is the new black. I’ve seen all four series and really enjoyed it. Can’t wait to see what happens next

2. Shauna Grove says:

Orangeb is the new black should bebtwice a yr likebwalkingbdead. Howbthe hell r they gonna put together howmuch it ended?

3. Alexis follett says:

Please hurry with season 4

4. Becca says:

Orange Is The New Black is amazing! I just finished season 3 already & so excited I searched & discovered there will be a season 4…something to look forward to! This show is so original, raw & real. People can relate even if they haven’t been in prison. So well written & exciting. I do hope for many more seasons & maybe even a handful more episodes per season…please!! All the actors & actresses are wonderful! I love Netflix & its sooooo worth the low monthly fee. There’s a ton of things to watch while waiting on new episodes of some faves. My whole family loves it…my son talked me into subscribing a couple yrs ago…one of the best things I could’ve done!! Thanks, Netflix, rock on!!! :)

5. Marta says:

Just finished watching season 3 :(( took me two days lol. Can’t wait for the next one but the one year wait is horrible!!

6. Arielle says:

I waited months for 13 episodes and I’m on the 12th one already , usually when shows become a hit they make about 23 or more ,disappointed (come back out in 2016😑)but it’s good so far so I like it it’s a good show ,

7. Lisa C. Cruz says:

It’s too bad if only for netflix

• Khan Piesse says:

You can watch it online for free, just search “Orange is the new black Season ? Episode ? watch online” And go thru each website till you find one that works…Or just pay 10 bucks a month for Netflix which is probs the best idea

More Digital News from Variety