Netflix Hikes Price of Standard Streaming Plan to $10 per Month

Netflix Streaming
Courtesy of Netflix

Increase for new subscribers in U.S., Canada and Latin America follows 10% price rise in Europe

Netflix is raising the price of its most popular plan, which offers access to two HD streams concurrently, from $8.99 to $9.99 per month for new subscribers in the U.S.

The company, which has more than 65 million streaming customers worldwide, also is increasing prices of the two-stream plan in Canada and Latin America.

“To continue adding more TV shows and movies including many Netflix original titles, we are modestly raising the price for some new members in the U.S., Canada and Latin America,” a Netflix rep wrote in an emailed statement.

Netflix said that current pricing for existing subscribers on the “standard” plan will remain in place for 12 months, unless they’re already covered by a price guarantee with a longer term.

It’s the company’s second price hike in the U.S. in less than two years. Netflix in May 2014 raised the price of the two-stream plan by $1, from $7.99 to $8.99. It informed existing customers then that it wouldn’t raise their rates for two years.

Even at $9.99, Netflix’s standard plan is cheaper than Hulu’s commercial-free subscription tier ($11.99 per month), as well as HBO Now ($14.99) and Showtime’s over-the-top service ($10.99).

When it bumped up pricing last year, Netflix introduced a single-stream, non-HD plan (the “basic” plan) for $7.99 monthly; that pricing will not change. In addition, the company’s “premium” plan — offering up to four simultaneous streams and access to 4K Ultra HD titles — will remain unchanged at $11.99 per month.

This past August, Netflix implemented a 10% price increase for its European markets for the standard two-stream HD subscription service for new members.

Netflix’s latest price increase was first reported by Bloomberg. The Los Gatos, Calif.-based company is scheduled to report third-quarter 2015 earnings on Oct. 14.

1. Error says:

But despite the movie lists, Netflix raising they price a $1 extra is not drastic at all tbh so we good.

2. Earl N says:

Sorry but have to say as a New Zealander this is still cheap, our Netflix is 1/6 of the American version and well over $10 a month

3. Alvaro says:

It is time to see Amazon at Latin America!!!

4. Guest says:

Now Im conserned about if Netflix available in Eastern Europe,including the Baltic States (possibly next year),then people in EE and BS will complain and sobbing about the price of subscription on Netflix,because nearly all of the poorest countries in Europe are the EE and BS countries,due to low salary.Now I will be sad about this.(PS I know my english is not good,sorry)

5. Anonymous says:

Too bad,low-income people now couldn’t afford,first Disneyland and now Netflix.And the piracy will be skyrocketed on internet. Everything is expensive these days.Its the era of cheap ending?

6. Dunstan says:

Everything is online for free; paying for it is a waste. I refer to TV shows and sports events, not movies.

7. tom says:

> To continue adding more TV shows and movies including many Netflix original titles

I’d pay an extra dollar more if they just made their website easier to use. It’s one of the most cumbersome user experiences out there for a major brand.

8. AJ says:

Still the best bargain in entertainment. I once calculated how many things I have on Netflix to watch, all of which are 4-5 star rated (based on my tastes), and I’ll probably die before I watch it all. No cable bill, no premium channels, no video purchases. $10/month. Not bad.

• Randall Starr says:

You know it’s actually $50 or $60, with internet access, right? You CAN NOT GET NETFLIX with a laptop and a checking account with $10 in it, you would need $50 or $60 in it to get it going – hence, that’s what it costs.

• Jedi77 says:

Most people in the civilized world have a need for an internet connection, regardless of whether they have a Netflix subscription or not.
        So no, it’s isn’t $60. It’s existing infrastructure being used for more than looking up cute cats on Youtube.

You have your internet and your cute cats, and for just $10 more you get unlimited streaming of too many movies an shows than you can possibly watch.
        Overall, not a bad offer in my book.

• nerdrage says:

I still have DVDs when I realized I could get access to everything for$16/month, and still use streaming as my primary viewing mechanism. I just ignore all the Hulu-HBO-Amazon-Showtime frenzy. If something like Empire or some old movie isn’t on streaming, I just get it on DVD. Not a big issue. There is way way more stuff than I can ever consume anyway. I’ll die before I watch it all too. Both streaming and DVD queues are increasing over time. Maybe I should start getting more selective but I just bump the 3-star stuff to the bottom and it stays there indefinitely.

More Digital News from Variety