Netflix, Amazon Pass on More ‘Hannibal,’ Says Bryan Fuller

Hannibal cancelled
Image courtesy of NBC

Netflix and Amazon have passed on ordering a fourth season of “Hannibal,” series’ executive producer and creator Bryan Fuller tweeted Monday.

Hopes were high among the critically acclaimed drama series’ fans that one of the subscription VOD services would rescue it after NBC canceled it earlier this month.

“I’m sorry to report Amazon and Netflix have passed on Hannibal S4, but we’re still investigating possibilities,” Fuller tweeted.

In an interview with Variety last month, Fuller indicated conversations were under way with both streaming services.

While receiving a thumbs-down from the two largest digital content players doesn’t bode well for “Hannibal,” the series could still potentially find other homes. However, a complicating factor is the absence of NBC as a studio on the project, which was produced by French studio Gaumont.

“Without an NBC component, it’s a little complicated,” Fuller told Variety. “Even some of our international partners, because there’s no NBC component, will pass on a fourth season.”

1. anna says:

Omg, ponzo! I have been wondering if I was the only one feeling this way! I couldn’t put why I don’t like this season into words, but you have definitely described how I feel. All the weird (artsy-fartsy) is annoying; they should have changed the show so much. I absolutely loved the 1st 2 seasons. What a shame.

2. ponzo says:

i really, really want to like this show, but the artsy fartsy slowmo shots of random crap every episode are killing it for me. Also the visions or hallucinations are getting super boring by now, i just end up skipping through all of those slowmo and hallucinating stuff.

3. David S says:

What about Forever? That is what I want to know?

4. Cathy says:

I’m getting real sick and tired of NBC canceling SO many good shows (one after another after another) after a season or two. Every time I see they’re coming out with a new show now I feel like I don’t even want to try out because they’re just going to cancel it after a season, most likely with an ending that’s not really an ending. They need to get with the times and start paying attention to ratings outside of live television, before they end up like blockbuster and VHS…obsolete.

5. THOMAS BARTON JD says:

I LOVE THE IMAGERY AND SHARP MOMENTS OF WRITING BUT THE SHOW COULD HAVE FOUND A WIDER AUDIENCE WITH A MORE COHERENT STORY LINE AND MORE LINEAR WRITING. ALSO I THINK THE GILLIAN ANDERSON CHARACTER COULD HAVE HAD MORE INTERACTION WITH HANNIBAL AND PERHAPS EXPLORE IF HE HAS TRUE FEELING FOR HER AS MORE THAN A FOIL FOR HIS ALL CONSUMING MIND. WE LOVE AND FEAR HANNIBAL BUT GIVE HIM A MORE CONVENTIONAL VEHICLE AND HIS BRILLIANCE AND SAVAGERY AND ALLURE WOULD STILL CARRY THE DAY.

6. Curious says:

Just what is the business model for original series on Netflix and Amazon? If the numbers don’t work for broadcast, what kind of numbers work for streaming?

7. Guest says:

Well, how about FX? It should work there.

8. paisley says:

So Hannibal has successfully flown over the limited brains of even the most “progressive” thinking people in television? That is precisely why it needs to remain on the air indefinitely.It pushes the boundaries of the medium. Do something grounbreaking, networks, and keep this show alive!

9. Screw Constantine HANNIBAL IS 1000 times better!

10. JoeR says:

Wish Amazon or NF would have picked up CONSTANTINE.

More Digital News from Variety