Neil Young to Take His Music Off Streaming Services

Neil Young's Music To Disappear From
Lester Cohen/WireImage

Neil Young is getting ready to remove his music from streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music: “Streaming has ended for me,” the rock legend said in a Facebook post Wednesday.

Young isn’t the first musician to deny subscription music services the rights to stream his songs. Taylor Swift made headlines last year when she removed her music from Spotify because of what she argued was insufficient compensation for ad-supported streams.

However, Young’s beef isn’t the money, as he said Wednesday. Instead, he’s unhappy with the audio quality of music services. Said Young:

“I don’t need my music to be devalued by the worst quality in the history of broadcasting or any other form of distribution. I don’t feel right allowing this to be sold to my fans. It’s bad for my music.”

When contacted by Variety, Young’s team confirmed that he will be removing his music from streaming services but declined to comment further. Much of Young’s music, including his latest album, “The Monsanto Years,” remained on Spotify at the time of writing. A Spotify spokesperson didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Neil Young’s obsession with audio quality isn’t just focused on streaming: The musician is also heading Pono, a company that sells a portable HD audio player by the same name and also runs a music download service.

Marketplace

1. Fargles says:

Mindless idiot. The quality of streaming is BETTER than cd.

2. Grammie says:

I was so sad to see my Spotify list wiped out…

3. Brad LUCENTE says:

Neil Young lives on a 1,500 acre ranch in the Santa Cruz Mtns that he bought for cash at the age of 24 yet in his music he rails against the very Capitalism that made him wealthy. Now he complains that he won’t have his music devalued through streaming. I am 54 years old I had already bought most of his music over the years in multiple formats over and over again. Vinyl then cassette then CD… Streaming was just another format that Mr. Young gets paid for and he gets exposed to a younger audience. Mr. Young is either ignorant or a rank hypocrite, I suspect he’s both.

• Melissa says:

He didn’t remove it for monetary reasons. His beef is the low quality of sound via digital/streaming music – check out his autobiography.

4. Jose habib says:

Is he going to pull his music from FM radio too?

5. I appreciate that #NeilYoung, #TaylorSwift, #DavidByrne and other established artists are wielding their influence for the benefit of all musicians.

6. This is to bad for Young and he will be the loser. The sound quality and his vocals of his latest music isn’t very good anyway. He’s over the hill and should be so happy when someone wants to buy his music period.

7. Mike G says:

Worst quality in history? So Mr. Young will be removing his music from satellite radio services like Sirius? I think Mr. Young is also old enough to remember when pioneering rock radio stations like KSAN(San Francisco) were on the AM dial.

More Digital News from Variety