Kim Kardashian West Helps Sick Kids at Children’s Hospital

kim-kardashian-childrens-hospital
Image Courtesy of Kim Kardashian West

Kim Kardashian West is one of Variety’s Power of Women New York honorees. For more profiles on the honorees, click here.

Kim Kardashian West started to work with the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles seven years ago, after a friend’s child got sick. She not only donates proceeds from her eBay auction store to the nonprofit, but she also carves out time to regularly visit patients and their parents, especially during the holidays.

Williams+Hirakawa for Variety

“My father passed away from cancer,” says Kardashian West, who lost her dad, Robert, in 2003. “I remember what it was like when my dad was going through it. You see the kids that are so strong. They feel so helpless. You want to do anything to help them.”

Children’s Hospital L.A. offers care to 107,000 children annually from around the world. Doctors are trained in 350 specialties in the medical field. DeAnn Marshall, a senior vice president, says that Kardashian West’s visits are meaningful to the children and staff. “Her involvement has always been laser-focused,” Marshall says. “Her positive spirit and genuine concern for their situations has lifted up many families during unimaginable times.”

On some of these visits, Kardashian West will sit at the patient’s bedside alone. Other times, she’ll bring along her husband, Kanye West, or her sisters. She’ll arrive at the hospital armed with presents such as iTunes gift cards or beauty products. “We’ll sit and paint our nails together,” Kardashian West says.

The kids, who are excited to see the E! reality star, will ask that she post their selfies on Instagram, where Kardashian West has 30.1 million followers. “They love to see their pictures on social media,” she says.

Kardashian West says that she’s even more inspired to help these kids since she became a mom in 2013 to daughter North West. “You realize how hard it must be to be a parent to a child with an illness,” says Kardashian West, who donated all her baby shower gifts to a hospital in Chicago, where her husband grew up. “Your whole perspective changes.”

Williams+Hirakawa for Variety

1. Samson Simpemba says:

Kim thanks for your gift of giving and kindly extend you r ministry to Africa.People might be jealous to whatever you are doing but God is in control and blessings are with you.

2. Jim says:

I thought this was a parody article at first. Hilariously she is the only woman of power in this issue to get famous for a sex tape, and who has no talent.

3. mary says:

is this a joke ? if not it should be… kim kardashian as a philanrophist my god what is the world turning into this famiy including her is a reflection of the poor society we live in

4. Anthony says:

i love helping kids and seen others help. Having big Hart is Strong making them smile means a lot to me. Mayb one day I will b able help every kid around the world

5. Anthony says:

I love helping kids and love seen other do the same. I’m a falling Star from the sky getting back on my feet. Trying to get start a New life NYC in the Car bissnisse very good. Little help I can start my life back. I have a child that needs her dad also. So Mayb one I’ll Help every kid around the world. I done it before True believe good

6. vivian says:

.Kim has a good heart, & dat wil definitely take her a long way. A rare gem.

7. Matt says:

Bless you Queen Kim you make the world a better place.

8. Mr. Philanthropy says:

CHLA has done great things for children for many years. Truly they are one of the best in the country! CHLA needs funding to drive research and help the sick children. Time for KKN to write a big check and get photographed handing it over. Let’s see a real committment of seven figures to CHLA.

9. michelle says:

I am shocked you think kim of all people deserves this award. This is someone who gives 10% of their ebay sales to ‘charity’ when that charity is actually a church part owned by her mom so they could write off taxes so actually she gives nothing. While someone like lady gaga gives 90% to charity and works with numerous charities not just visits the hospital every 3 years to hand out gifts that she didnt even buy. This is a disgrace to your publication and couldn’t be more obvious you chose her for the publicility you’ll get. I use to love variety and have been a reader for years but this is so atrocious I cancled my subsciption today and wouldnt even read the free content on your site. To give kim kardashian an award for her charity, its Unbelivable.

• Tijana says:

Stop being so jealous of her.. Just because she has a sex tape you don’t need to judge her! She has such a big heart and she is so intelligent. By the way who hasn’t a sex tape in America? Even disney stars like Vanessa Hudgens and Miley Cyrus have sex tapes and nobody judges them!!!

• Please go look at the countless charities she is involved in She is a contributor to Aids Foundations, has helped Maria bello with building wells in Haiti, she is executive producing a documentary on mental illness. Do your research please.

• Angie says:

So how do you explain their fake church that receives 10% from all ebay sales? Hope that people stop buying from this greedy, money hungry family and start investigating this so called “California Community Church”.

More Digital News from Variety