Chris Tucker, Netflix Sued Over Comedian’s Standup Special

Chris Tucker Live Netflix Lawsuit
Courtesy of Netflix

Chris Tucker and Netflix are being sued over the actor’s standup comedy special three days before its release, Tucker’s attorney Marty Singer confirms.

Comedian Terry Hodges claims that he hasn’t been paid $66,000 in fees accrued from years of editing, writing, acting and producing work for the program.

“This lawsuit is absurd and completely without merit,” Singer said in a statement. “We fully expect this case to be thrown out by the court.”

Netflix had no comment at this time.

According to TMZ, Hodges claims he started working on the special in 2008 and hasn’t been regularly paid since 2011.

Filmed in his hometown of Atlanta, Tucker’s first-ever standup special, “Chris Tucker Live,” will begin streaming Friday on Netflix.

Here’s the trailer for the special.

1. I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ALL ARE TALKING ABOUT, CAUSE I WAS CRACKING UP FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE END!
    GO CHRIS! GO CHRIS!

2. chelleboo says:

This show was absolutely horrible. I lovers the “old” Chris Tucker but this was punishing and disappointing. He needs to stick to the movies now.

3. John Freimann says:

Sorry, never heard of him: but, that’s my fault. After seeing that little bit, I want to make up for my error. How can I catch up??????

4. CHRISTEL says:

Chris Tucker is the MAN bitches!!! I loved watching this on Netflix!!! Forget all you damn haters!!! PLEASE do another FRIDAY Movie Chris Tucker if you ain’t got any other shit to do man lol!!!!

5. Jason Lewis says:

How’d it take years for someone to write this special?! The very first joke is a word-for-word rip off of Chris Rock. Then the rest of it is a mix of bad rip offs from Murphy, Cosby, Rick and other comedians. I’m not a comedian but I appreciate the art and I was shocked watching Tucker stealing jokes, impressions, timing and deliveries from real comedians. This special should be illegal. The blatant rip-offs and poor renditions are offensive. I hope real comedians come out against this.

6. Renee Fossett says:

Very, very funny!!!!!!!!

7. Who cares? says:

Why would anyone want to claim any part of this show? Not funny at all…

• Lou says:

You’re right it’s not funny…it’s HILARIOUS!!

• Anonymous says:

You wrote that at 12:33am, today, the exact day it was released… it’s about a 90 minutes special. How the heck did you watch a 90 minute special in 31 minutes between 12:01am and 12:32am? So how could you have watched it to know it wasn’t funny? #DontBeAHaterDude

More Digital News from Variety