Angelina Jolie Pitt to Direct ‘Cambodia’ Movie With Netflix

Angelina Jolie's Netflix Movie: Actress to

Angelina Jolie Pitt is the latest top-tier talent to go the digital route, as the multihyphenate is working with Netflix on “First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers,” a film she will direct for the studio.

The pic is based on a memoir from Cambodian author and human-rights activist Loung Ung about surviving the deadly Khmer Rouge regime.

Jolie Pitt will direct and produce the Netflix project from a script she co-adapted with Ung. Cambodian director and producer Rithy Panh, helmer of the Oscar-nominated foreign-language film “The Missing Picture,” will also be a producer.

The film will be made available to members of the streaming service in late 2016 and will be submitted to major international festivals.

Ung was 5 years old when the Khmer Rouge regime assumed power over Cambodia in 1975 and began a four-year reign of terror and genocide in which nearly 2 million Cambodians died. Forced from her family’s home in Phnom Penh, Ung was trained as a child soldier in a work camp for orphans while her six siblings were sent to labor camps. Ung survived and wrote “First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers,” which was first published in 2000. Jolie Pitt read the book and contacted Ung over a decade ago. They became close friends and later adapted the screenplay together.

“I was deeply affected by Loung’s book,” Jolie Pitt said. “It deepened forever my understanding of how children experience war and are affected by the emotional memory of it. And it helped me draw closer still to the people of Cambodia, my son’s homeland. It is a dream come true to be able to adapt this book for the screen, and I’m honored to work alongside Loung and filmmaker Rithy Panh.”

Jolie Pitt’s Cambodian-born son, Maddox, will also be involved in the production of the film.

Netflix’s global reach was a major factor in Jolie Pitt’s desire to partner with the streaming service. “Films like this are hard to watch but important to see,” said Jolie Pitt. “They are also hard to get made. Netflix is making this possible, and I am looking forward to working with them and excited that the film will reach so many people.” The film will be released in both Khmer and English.

“We are proud to be working with Angelina Jolie in bringing this emotionally powerful and ultimately uplifting story exclusively to Netflix members around the world,” said Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos. “Loung Ung’s incredible journey is a testament to the human spirit and its ability to transcend even the toughest circumstances.”

“Angelina and I met in 2001 in Cambodia, and immediately, I trusted Angelina’s heart,” Ung said. “Through the years, we have become close friends, and my admiration for Angelina as a woman, a mother, a filmmaker and a humanitarian has only grown. It is with great honor that I entrust my family’s story to Angelina to adapt into a film.”

Jolie Pitt is in post-production on “By the Sea,” a drama she wrote and directed, as well as stars in with Brad Pitt; it will be released by Universal this year. Jolie Pitt recently directed Universal’s “Unbroken,” based on the life of Olympian and World War II POW survivor Louis Zamperini. She made her feature directorial debut with “In the Land of Blood and Honey.”

She is repped by UTA and Media Talent Group.

1. Todd Young says:

Despite all of the haters and trolls on this thread I must say that I am greatly looking forward to the release of this movie. I knew Luong in high school, she has the kindest heart and deserves all of the best. I was a bit of a loser and she was one of very few people who treated me as an equal and with smile! Always smiling. Luong, thank you! I’m stumping for your movie here in Florida!

2. T Mith says:

I wish I was in the move so sad that so many Khmer family deal with this Trenton I wish I was a part of the movie I wish I had a part in this amazing film for any closer for my family it’s always nice to know the real truth of what actually happened in this beautiful country thank you so much for opening the world I little bit more! 😘

3. IT 2 IT says:

MOST of these posts read like PHONIES from the PR dept to ‘shape’ the conversation.

SAD IF TRUE.

SADDER STILL IF IT ISN’T.

4. guest says:

The rise and fall of brangelina: Netflix hacks now

5. I visited and did Voluntary work in Cambodia last year,I have fallen in love with this beautiful country,I also read the book before I left to go on my trip and read other books,I had thought I was prepared for the experience I was about to embark on,how wrong I was-as a Trained nurse and a mother of 4 grown up children,who have led a very loving,caring,educated,priveliged and happy upbringing,I was not prepared for the poverty,suffering,no freedom of speech,no democracy,their political regime,everything in our society we have taken for granted is a dream for them,and they are the most beautiful,kind,happy human beings I have ever met,they do not get up in the morning and worry about the week ahead,they get up and try and survive each day,I still wake up and have flashbacks of some of the experiences I encountered,to nurse severely malnourished children dying of Typhoid,with nothing but your hands,eyes,heart and love will be one which will never leave me.Cambodia the country you fall in love with,but will break your heart.Thank god for women in our society like Angelina.

6. Anne says:

Wow. The Queen of Hollywood has to resort to a straight to VOD film on the crappy Netflix in order to secure a directing gig.

• Fabio says:

Low quality, you have grasp the scale of Netflix? every month she earns more than 1 million new subscribers, Netflix is the future of communication.

• Lori says:

Netflix is not the future of anything. Its known as a platform where rejected shows and materials go.

7. Donna says:

I agree.

8. Cosmo Kramer says:

Good for you Angelina! Your last project “Unbroken” was a moving portrayal of heroism that held true to the original story. I look forward to this one too.

9. countmahdrof says:

Oh I just can’t wait to see another “conscience” movie from an actor trying to “make a difference” and educate we ignorant masses.

10. Susan Daniels says:

Why doesn’t she stay home and raise her children. The only time she sees them is for a photo opportunity.

• Fabio says:

She lives in a free country and can do what you want with your life, because you do not take care of your nose and leaves Jolie live her life in peace.

11. Seo says:

Now that’s what I call ignorant.

12. Andrea1 says:

What a remarkable woman..

13. JR says:

Jolie Pitt or Jolie? Just pick one!

14. IT 2 IT says:

KONY 2012 —WAR PUMP – – –‘JOE—LOW—LE’.

Meanwhile, about that ‘missing from all mention’
    65th Anniversary of the
    21st century LINCHPIN,
    ‘forgotten’,
    –yet unfolding,
    —————RED CHINA globalism – – –‘very unfriendly’
    —————————————————————–KOREAN WAR????

15. Heather S. says:

Wow, sounds like a very interesting project. It’s so rare that someone follows their artistic passion as consistently as Jolie.

16. Fabio says:

It’s funny to read the comments from trolls, and see how they are jealous.

17. Lori says:

She isn’t a top tier talent in directing. She got bad reviews as a director for both of the films she has directed. From Universal to Netflix? This seems like a downgrade. i guess the top studios have figured out she is a talent less director and won’t give her anymore big projects.

• Lori says:

@ LucyLu
      The same could be said of the new association that Pitt and Jolie have with Netflix now. The movies they are working on are not good enough for the theaters either. You are being extremely hypocritical now.

Tell me, is the War Machine gonna release in theaters or the My Father is Killed? These are rejected scripts and stories that are probably deemed bad too. Thats why your idols are working for Netflix. Because its for rejects and losers!

Your idols even tried out for HBO, but were rejected. They only came to Netflix, because Netflix is known as a place where failed tv shows and actors go. You loons were saying the same exact thing on Jennifer Aniston, Adam Sandler , Vince Vaughn and many,many other stars.
      Netflxi is for rejects. HBO is for winners.

You are lying now. HBO is worth more then Netflix and has more award winning Tv shows then Netflix does. Game of Thrones, True Detective, House of Cards, True Blood, Girls have all won awards and major critical acclaim. They have the strongest viewership

Dummy, are you aware that Game of Thrones is the most successful TV show currently? The credit goes to HBO for producing it.
      You have now suddenly changed your tune on VOD films just because Brad and Angelina are involved. You are a liar and have double standards.

What top Hollywood A listers have worked with Netflix? All the big A listers actually go work for HBO. HBO is where the money, the talent and where the awards are found. Show proof of what big AListers have gone to Netflix. Go ahead and name them you 3rd world rat!
      You think the stars from the OTNB are A listers ? LOL! Yes Ruby Rose is a big A lister lol!

Netflix is on par with Lifetime. I bet if Angelina goes to join the Kardashians on KUWTK, you will still be in denial and claim that E! is better then HBO LOL! Stupid, dumb, uneducated, 3rd world moron. I bet you haven’t got any brains cells left in that deformed head of yours

• Lori says:

@ Lucy Lu
      Your comment is both hilarious and so untrue. This is not the new wave of films at all.
      Netflix meant for rejected tv shows and movies. It is a downgrade. You have to got be really naive to think Marvel films are beneath Netflix. As if. Jolie got bad reviews for both of the films she has directed. One could say that the films she directed were brain cell killers and utter shame and pure stupidity.
      Jolie might be in theaters for her acting roles, but it looks like none of her future directing gigs will make the big screen for a while.

• Netflix has those reject shows that keeps winning awards. Shocked shows you consider “rejects” are honored by their peers so often. Maybe your head needs to get out of your A** when Netflix and Angelina Jolie Pitt are concerned.

Certainly better to be paid to do a film for Netflix, than to have so many made for theatrical release films that never see the inside of a theater and end up on VOD, where no one buys them. OUCH!!! Now, that’s a humiliating and a “downgrade” for sure.

• Not a down grade if you’re being funded by Netflix, only if the movie that was meant for theaters was rejected. This is the wave of the future, not for Marvel films, or films that are nothing more than brain cell killers, but smaller, more intimate films that have a story. Not to worry, Angie will still make films that will be in theaters.

• Cissy Ann says:

Big difference, Lori, Brad and his wife, Angelina, are being PAID mucho bucks to do Netflix, “some” are just ridiculed out of theaters and onto VOD, where no one pays to see her bombs. Which, at last count was four in a row. OUCH!!!!!!

• Lori says:

Both of the films Pitt and Jolie are directing and acting in are going to VOD too. The War Machine and They Killed my Father will not release in theatres at all. So according to your own words, they are failures with bad scripts and gigs offered to them then? Loser. I think you need to get your a** out of your dumb head.

• They don’t give her movies to direct, she buys them.

18. anonymousfan says:

She annoys me.

19. Barb says:

She belongs in front of a camera, not behind it!

20. ticklemyanus says:

Since when did Angelina tack on Brad’s name at the end of hers?

21. sammyglick says:

Wow — I sometimes really wish these tin-foil hat cranks who, when they’re not protesting the government and listening to conspiracy nuts on the radio, would actually EXPLAIN what they’re rambling about!

Netflix…murder for hire…United Nations…human rights abuses??????

22. The Panda Says No says:

Multi-hyphenate? There were no hyphens used in her name.

• sammyglick says:

They’re referring to her career as an actress-director-writer-producer.

It’s a common term in Hollywood.

More Digital News from Variety