LONDON — German media reports are linking the arrest in Germany last week of a 51-year-old man from Montenegro with the terror attacks in Paris on Friday.
The unnamed man, who was found to be concealing assault weapons and explosives in his car, was travelling to Paris, Bayerische Rundfunk reported. The Prime Minister of Bavaria, Horst Seehofer, told the radio channel that there were “reasonable grounds to believe” that the individual may be linked to the Paris attackers.
The German police had alerted French authorities immediately, Bayerische Rundfunk said. The Bavarian criminal investigations office confirmed the arrest on Saturday, according to Bloomberg. The weapons cache included machine guns, revolvers, handguns, grenades and explosives.
Among the seven locations that were attacked in Paris on Friday was the Stade de France stadium, where a soccer game between Germany and France was being played. The German soccer team stayed in the stadium over night and then flew to Frankfurt early on Saturday, Deutsche Presse-Agentur reported. The team had to leave the hotel before the game on Friday after a bomb threat was made, Der Spiegel reported.
Speaking about the attacks in Paris, German Chancellor Angela Merkel expressed her country’s solidarity with the people of France: “We, your German friends, we feel so close to you. We are crying with you.”