HONG KONG — The upcoming Shanghai Disneyland will boast six themed lands, many specially designed for Chinese guests.
“We are building something truly special here in Shanghai that not only showcases the best of Disney’s storytelling but also celebrates and incorporates China’s incredibly rich heritage to create a one-of-a-kind destination that will delight and entertain the people of China for generations to come,” said Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger at a presentation at the Shanghai Expo Centre.
The park is a joint venture between Disney and the Shanghai Shendi Group. Construction began in 2011, and the park is due to open in Spring 2016.
The six themed lands are: Mickey Avenue, Adventure Isle, Gardens of Imagination, Tomorrowland, Treasure Cove and Fantasyland.
The Shanghai Disneyland theme park is part of the larger Shanghai Disney Resort, which also takes in a Shanghai Disneyland Hotel and a Toy Story Hotel, adjacent to the theme park. The complex also includes Disneytown, an international shopping, dining and entertainment district, including the Walt Disney Grand Theatre, home to the first Mandarin production of Disney’s “The Lion King,” and Wishing Star Park, a central point of the resort with gardens, and a lake.
“Disneytown will be tailored to Chinese guests, with familiar experiences, colors, symbols and design integrated into the area, including traditional Shanghai Shikumen architecture,” Disney said.
- Mickey Avenue: the park’s main entry inspired by Mickey Mouse and his pals, includes gift shop avenue Avenue M Arcade.
- Adventure Isle: styled as a newly discovered lost world, filled with hidden treasures. These include Roaring Mountain, Camp Discovery, the Soaring over the Horizon ride and Roaring Rapids.
- Gardens of Imagination: rides include Fantasia Carousel, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, while stage shows include “Ignite the Dream, a Nighttime Spectacular of Magic and Light” and parade “Mickey’s Storybook Express.”
- Tomorrowland: technology centric-section includes Buzz Lightyear Planet Rescue, and TRON Lightcycle Power Run, a coaster-style attraction where guests board a train of two-wheeled Lightcycles.
- Treasure Cove: the first pirate-themed land in a Disney park, featuring Captain Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones. Attraction, Pirates of the Caribbean – Battle for the Sunken Treasure , transforms a boat ride into a journey with cutting-edge robotics, animation, set design and multimedia. Also includes Explorer Canoes and dining at Barbossa’s Bounty.
- Fantasyland: the largest land at the Shanghai park, includes Enchanted Storybook Castle, and rides Voyage to the Crystal Grotto, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Peter Pan’s Flight. The section also includes Winnie the Pooh’s Hundred Acre Wood and an Alice Wonderland maze.
Also, near Disneytown will be Wishing Star Park, a 40 hectare segment including Wishing Star Lake, a 2.5-kilometer walking path and ornamental gardens.