Watch: The New ‘Batman Beyond’ Short Unveiled at WonderCon

Watch: The New 'Batman Beyond' Short

It’s been 75 years since the now famous Dark Knight graced the cover of May 1939’s “Detective Comics No. 27,” and DC is rolling out all kinds of new material for Batman’s 75th anniversary. The latest is a “Batman Beyond” animated short, revealed by the Warner Bros. panel on Saturday at WonderCon.

The short is based on the animated series of the same name that started in 1999, which followed Bruce Wayne as he taught a young Terry McGinnis to carry his legacy as Batman. It comes from Darwyn Cooke, who created “DC: The New Frontier.” The artist and writer also used to work for Warner Bros. Animation and animated the title sequence for the “Batman Beyond” series.

Kevin Conroy and Will Friedle return to the short to reprise their roles as the voices of Wayne and McGinnis, respectively. In it, they face off against what seems to be another Batman. Fittingly, there’s a few Easter eggs at the end.

The video clocks in at just more than a minute, but packs a lot of punch. It’s scheduled to air Wednesday on Cartoon Network after “Teen Titans,” but you can watch it below:

1. Juniorakajr says:

Amazing… but too short. Need this show to be revived!!!

2. Mike D. says:

Personally, I want to see a Batman Beyond reboot. I liked how they brought Batman into the future, and it appeals to older audiences

3. Dean says:

I liked the Batman Beyond cartoon when it was on. I wish they would bring it back on.

4. Mike says:

The Batman Beyond concept has always annoyed the Hell out of me. First of all, the bat symbol should be just about any other color than red. How about some shade of blue or gray? Second, why don’t they ditch the Terry McGillis nonsense (or whatever his name is), and just go back to when Bruce Wayne first became this silly “Batman Beyond” thing? I HATE Batman Beyond. Its no wonder they keep that decrepit old Bruce Wayne character hanging around, otherwise it wouldn’t be worth watching. I would KILL Terry McGillis with a clone of the Joker and replace him with a seasoned Dick Grayson, and then just retire the Batman Beyond character after that and go back to something worth watching. I hate it when the trusted, classic franchises start slipping too much and Batman Beyond is too great a slip and should be mothballed for future reference. And wake up Barbara Gordon, wherever she is, and put her in a Batgirl Beyond costume, with Dick Grayson in the Batman Beyond costume with a blue bat. Hell, I don’t even know what I’m doing and I could do a better job than some of these so-called writers. If I could draw and design, I’d go to their comic book and corporate offices wherever they are and apply for work so we can see some better cartoons. Maybe I’ll start sending in some story ideas. A lot of this stuff is sh*t and needs to be rebooted for simple rewatchability. All of you, start knocking on DC’s door with your ideas for some better material. They’re slipping.

• Bruce wayne says:

You realize all the colors you chose reflect on night wing and the other bat family members. If you were making a realistic bat suit red would be one of the better colors to mesh in the dark along with the black. Not to mention it was the only color unused by other bat suits. It was designed by some of the best writers I batman history. The animated series and some of the comics. You’re a griping knob read more comics.

• bob@mus.com says:

Hey Adam West – get over it – its a TV show not life & death!! The concept is very cool and keeps the Batman mythos fresh in contrast. I wish they’d bring it back!!

5. How about a live action “Batman Beyond” with Clint Eastwood as Bruce Wayne, and since he has the martial arts skills to pull it off, Taylor Lautner as Terry McGinnis. If they could get Eastwood to direct as well, it could be incredible…

6. Tom Bates says:

Looks Cool!! Batman is one of my VERY favorite Comic Book Super Heroes!! I hope they realy do it up for his 75th Aniversary!

7. Claudius Valentine says:

please please make a new tv series and live action movie out of this PLEASE!!!

this is the batman we want……actually the more batmans the better

because we already have a few super people that count of superman times 10
    so adding Terry McGinnis’s batman in a future accident that send him back in time
    is soo awesome it has to be done

the best thing out of batman beyond was the batman character Terry McGinnis
    there are so many characters even a few future ones that were sent back in time
    that they forgot about one of the best bat offsprings batman beyond

just because terry’s from the future doesnt mean he has to stay there.

8. Shawn says:

They must return, this short clip was amazing. I miss this series sooo much. At least make a movie….

9. Kevin Kuoch says:

Now this is Batman baby. Not throat-cancer Bale. Good to see Kevin Conroy back in the saddle. Been a fan of his 20+ years as Batman since day 1.