‘The Walking Dead’ Companion Series Casts Cliff Curtis as Male Lead

walking dead spinoff
Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images

Cliff Curtis has been cast as the male lead in AMC”s “Walking Dead” companion series, Variety has confirmed.

While AMC declined to confirm character details for Curtis’ role, based on the breakdowns for the new spinoff obtained by sister site TVLine, it’s believed he’ll play Sean Cabrera, a divorced teacher described as “a good man trying to do right by everyone in his life,” and father to Sean, his “whip-smart and rebellious teenage son.”

Casting is still under way for female lead Nancy Tompkins: “a thirtysomething single mom to two kids, Nancy looks like the girl next door, but there’s an edge to her.” Frank Dillane and Alycia Debnam Carey have also been cast and are expected to play Nancy’s children — Nick, Nancy’s screwed up teenage son who is too old to stay home, but too scared to flee; and Ashley, Nancy’s mostly level-headed teenage daughter, whose ambition is in direct proportion to her older brother’s failures.

The untitled companion series has a pilot order, but is almost certain to get a series pickup given the runaway success of its antecedent, which consistently ranks as the No. 1 show on television among adults 18-49. It will be set in the same universe as “The Walking Dead,” but explore the effects of the zombie outbreak in another locale.

“Walking Dead” executive producers Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert are exec producers of the new project, which hails from AMC Studios. Dave Erickson co-created and co-wrote the pilot with Kirkman, and will serve as executive producer and showrunner.

“There are many corners of ‘The Walking Dead’ universe that remain unseen in the shadows. Being given the opportunity to shine a light into those corners and see what lurks out there is an absolute thrill. I know the fans are anxious to hear what Dave and I have been cooking up for this new version of ‘The Walking Dead,’ and I’m happy to be one step closer to sharing it with them,” Kirkman said after the pilot was ordered.

Curtis, who has previously starred in Fox’s “Gang Related,” ABC’s “Missing” and NBC’s “Trauma,” is repped by the Robert Bruce Agency and JR Talent Group.

1. Rick Springs says:

I hope that Los Angeles is the city of choice! Give us zombie-ridden L.A. County. I like that AMC is attempting expand TWD. I am on board, and hope that the two shows are on different days. Sunday/Wenesday would be perfect! THANK YOU AMC!

2. James Baughn says:

I can not wait for it to start .I hope it airs when The Walking Dead is on the season break to help fill in the gap.I have been a Walking Dead fan since day one and I am sure I will be fan of the spin off

• Kam says:

While that would be nice that’s probably not what’s going to happen. If all they have is the male lead they’re not even close to having a full pilot ready for review by the network. :(
      My guess is we -might- see something, as the general public, in 12 months time.

3. If they’re smart, the new show will follow the same basic premise as the first. It’s a winning set up. From the quotes they’ll probably ignore that and give us a Star Trek Voyager kind of change where all the good stuff is excised that made the original series so good…

4. Andy Hilton says:

According to the TVLine article, Sean will be father to Cody. The article has Sean parenting Sean. I love TWD, so I can’t wait for this. CSI and L&O were good enough for multiple spinoffs. Why not TWD? I hope Cliff carries the role with plenty of screen presence and gravity. Just seeing the head shot and resume isn’t getting me excited about his casting. The producers have done just fine casting the first edition.

5. Bill B. says:

Ever hear of too much of a good thing?

6. It will be amazing I have faith. There is more to the show than the cast we have grown to love so much…..I am excited to see more.

7. rick says:

hope this doesn’t end up being another “two and a half men” without Charlie Sheen…that series went into the toilet after he left, and I don’t think there can be another Walking Dead type series..just my opinion

8. Mags says:

I love him! I’m so happy to see him in a new TV series. Best to him and all! Cannot wait to see it.

9. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the cast will be like. Good luck to the future.

10. Goodbyenoway says:

Damn. Bad choice. Too old. How about someone younger and attractive would be nice.

11. Duarte Boaventura says:

I hope there’s way more interpersonal drama and almost no action in the new show. If there’s one thing I don’t get enough of in the TWD now its melodramatic emotion and sappy drama.

12. Sheeeiiit says:

So, it’s going to be the exact same show with the exact same kinds of characters? The Walking Dead is already stupid enough as it is, I only watch it for the sometimes satisfying violence. This show I think I’ll skip.

13. P says:

Don’t screw it up, AMC. I feel like it’s a delicate thing to try and master. TWD certainly set the bar high.

14. hannah says:

Sean will play a father to Sean?

15. KJ Schmidt says:

Gee, you mean like Walking Dead: Las Vegas or Walking Dead: Miami or Walking Dead: LA? Brilliant concept. Never been done. Count me out.

• Billy Lott says:

Congratulations on dismissing an innovative concept before knowing all the details! There is an entire world affected by the zombie apocalypse, it only makes great sense to explore some other storylines.