‘Walking Dead’ Character Played By Norman Reedus May Be Gay

Norman Reedus Emmy Contenders Preview -

Shippers may want to find someone else to pair Norman Reedus’ character Daryl Dixon with.

After years of speculation that “The Walking Dead” character might be gay, creator Robert Kirkman addressed the rumor head-on earlier this week and said that storyline has been discussed.

“All I can say is that it’s been discussed,” Kirkman wrote in his latest “Letter Hacks” column in the comic book’s Issue #130, as first reported by Comicbook.com. “We have very specific ideas about Daryl’s sexuality (or the seeming lack thereof), and if there’s ever a quiet period in the show where he’s not consistently distracted by crossbowing … we’ll tackle it in the show.”

This was in response to a fan who asked, “I feel like if you had your way that Daryl would turn out to be gay … so the real question is, would AMC let that fly?”

Kirkman stated “for the record, (AMC) absolutely would” allow the character to be gay.

SEE ALSO: Norman Reedus to Star in Next ‘Silent Hill’ Video Game

The show has side-stepped many potential Daryl Dixon romantic storylines, including with Carol or Beth.

A character named Jesus (aka Paul Monroe) — Rick Grimes’s ally — turned out to be gay in the comic book, but Daryl was created for the TV show and doesn’t exist in the comic book universe.

Issue #130 was released on Aug. 13 and season five of “The Walking Dead” premieres October 12 on AMC.

1. job says:

A walking dead gay parade would do a lot for their ratings…put em right in the tank!

2. Lauren says:

3. He lost a lot of Gun Owning fans when he made comments about average people owning Automatic Weapons and they shouldn’t as well as talking about an AR17 (Doesn’t exist). He handles guns in the show and you would think he understood the difference between a civilian Semi Automatic and an Automatic weapon i.e. one that fires more than one shot with each trigger pull. For you to own an Automatic Weapon you need lots of paperwork for an NFA and to pay lots of NFA taxes after the background checks.

“I don’t feel there’s a real reason to have automatic weapons at all. I can understand the right to bear arms to some extent, but no one needs an automatic AK17 (gun) hanging in their truck. No way.”

• Somebody says:

An AR17 most definitely does exist. They are shotguns though, afaik. Not rifles. Although they do look similar to the AR15.

4. Nope, nope, nope! He is too popular with the female fans of the show! I don’t have a problem with gays at all, but not Daryl! Make Bob or someone else gay. DO you have to have a gay character in every show? If so, pick someone else!

5. Tabitha Davis says:

Big mistake if the make Daryl gay. What will it do for his fan base for the show. I have no prob w gays in show. But this is Kick ass Daryl. I don’t want to see that. It does not fit

6. Kirk T. Cooper says:

I can’t believe every show is being FORCED to insert a lifestyle that will NEVER be accepted in OUR society, no matter what the liberal media prints. The 2008 vote AGAINST same sex marriage was a landslide victory, until the Supreme Court decided the vote was UNCONSTITUTIONAL. MORAL-LESS SOCIETY. BOYCOTT “THE WALKING DEAD”, and any other programming that forces this “PERVERTED”, dirty way of living.

7. katy says:

I really dont think that matters anymore with the whole ZOMBIES AND TRYIN TO STAY ALIVE!!!

8. Roy Munson says:

I am a very progressive, left-leaning liberal who is strongly in favor of gay rights …but this would be a silly topic for this show to tackle
    This show is not about people’s sexuality at all

9. lynette says:

if they have that Daryl tour,s out to be gay then i will no longer be watching the walking dead ever again at all and i meen it

10. jacques strappe says:

“Do we have to see gay crap in every show on tv?” Not too homophobic are we? I don’t think every show on tv is going gay and for those that do include gay characters (just like real life) why is it “crap” to you? Just for you, I hope The Walking Dead goes all out flaming gay.

11. Don says:

You have to be kidding, Really? This will be one of the big reasons not to watch the show. This show is already so politically incorrect, why change it. We are tired of te 3.5 percent telling the rest of us, how things should be!

• KennH says:

1.7 percent Don, according to the CDC. That makes even MORE ridiculous.

• Gigi says:

I agree with you Don !! Leave the show alone. It is a great show the way it is. If they start doing $#!+ like this I may stop watching. I am sick and tired of every show using the gay angle, Not every show needs to do this.

12. jacques strappe says:

The zombie thing is getting really old. Maybe the gay angle will breathe some new life into this tired genre. Will homophobic fans of the series become enraged thinking that the threat of Daryl “infecting” straight characters with his gayness would be worse than turning zombie? Are gay zombies the next big thing? Transgendered or cross dressing zombies? Cool. I can definitely see “The Sashaying Dead” in AMC’s future.

• Gigi says:

Hey Jock Strap….Shut it. This is one of the best shows on tv. If you are tired of it, stop watching. Go watch Big brother or something else that is senseless and brainless tv.

13. twdupdate says:

I think this was addressed in depth here http://wp.me/p4Vr6N-5b , Is Daryl Dixon Gay, Going To Die, OR In Love With Beth?

It all seem just too convenient to me. All these rumors surrounding their most popular character right before the start of season five. Seems like a media buzz blitz to me, and a very good strategy if that is indeed what it is!

I guess we will just have to wait and see. To be honest out of the three major rumors the one most apt to happen is his death. Though I really do believe the negative impact leading to permanent loss of viewers is too much of a gamble for AMC to bet on!

So to conclude this rant…let Daryl be gay, let him be in love with Beth, hell…let him be conflicted. I’ll tell you what though, if your goal is to kill a big chunk of you viewership…kill Daryl! That will be exactly what will happen.

14. Peggy Allen says:

He could very well be, but however, he has a huge female following and I doubt the producers would want to jeopardize that to win over a fall small gay segment. I’m a straight female and I love his character to death. I wanted him to get with Danai. If they made him gay, that would be great for diversity but the show would lose something for me. Because up until now, they’ve shown no indication that he would be so I think that would be a huge twist that would disappoint many.

• Kaye says:

I think there’s been plenty of underlying evidence to suggest that he could be gay or bisexual. If he were gay and deeply, DEEPLY in the closet, it would certainly explain why he’s never shown any sexual interest in any of his female companions, despite both Carol and Beth having obvious interest in him. I personally ship Daryl with Carol, but him being gay wouldn’t exactly be coming out of left field. No more so than him being straight.

15. janessica says:

Bye Felicia!

16. Princess FistDaddy says:

Not with that Bieber hair. Don’t you dare undo all our progress towards equality with that bad hairdo.

17. In Similar news: BREAKING: Don Draper may not like refried beans!

18. jdrakeca89 says:

does it matter? furthermore did it matter about Dumbledore? If they are ok it doesn’t change how awesome they are. It almost comes across as a stunt when this comes up. I think the 40 and under crowd doesn’t really care. What we do care about is if you can shoot a zombie when its needed or put a wahammy on The Dark Lord.