USA’s ‘Psych’ to End After Current Eighth Season

Psych

USA will be bidding farewell to long-running dramedy “Psych,” as the cabler has announced that the detective series’ current season will be its last.

Final episode will air March 26 and will be followed by an hourlong aftershow featuring a Q&A with the cast and show creatives.

The network’s longest-running original series, “Psych,” created by Steve Franks, debuted on USA in July 2006. It ranked as one of cable’s top five series on Wednesday nights last year among key demos including adults 18-49 and total viewers. USA bowed the eighth season of “Psych” on Jan. 8 this year.

“‘Psych’ has made an indelible imprint on the television landscape, with a unique brand of comedy,” said Chris McCumber, president of USA Network. “The final season celebrates the iconic characters that have made this show so beloved, and will be an exclamation point on the series’ incredible run.”

Could a spinoff be in the works, though?

The prexy added, “While the series will wrap in March, somehow I don’t believe we’ve heard the last of Shawn and Gus.”

1. eric says:

This Blows, don’t cancel, expand on

2. magicbeans says:

Its my favorite show. I’m going to miss psych.

3. ellens. says:

I sure hope we haven’t seen the last of Shawn & Gus….such an awesome and fun show.. I can (&do) watch them over and over…each time I pick up some little funny detail What a DUMB decision to cancel

4. Charles says:

Psych was one of the last good shows still on television. Nothing left now but reality dribble.

5. Beth says:

I sure am sorry to see this show end. It doesn’t make sense.

6. ryanstiffler says:

Ifor those USA veterans out there that watched Psych’s predecessor, Monk (possibly the greatest detective show) you would know that it was ended when it was on top, before it got dragged on too much, and I don’t think I’m the only one that thinks that Mr. Monk and The End was the most heartfelt goodbye to the fans. Burn Notice ended the way the fans wanted it to also. Bottom line is that USA knows how to end a show the way the fans would want it to end because let’s be honest you all have an idea of how they would end it, you just hoped it wouldn’t be so soon.

7. Sad to see it go, but cannot say I’m surprised to see it end. Past few seasons haven’t been as great as former seasons but am glad to see this current season has been well-written. Will sorely miss Shawn & Gus.

8. Jean says:

I love this show and can’t believe they are ending it considering its high ratings. I will miss all of the actors. Very sad.

9. Naomi says:

This is one of the BEST shows on.!!!!!!! What a mistake to cancel it. Why?
    It is so much fun to watch .

10. Anonymous says:

This is my FAVORITE SHOW!!!

• Nikki says:

I don’t watch TV much at all. But if I do decide to sit down and watch TV, Psych is THE show I watch. I’m so bummed to hear this news right now…I so look forward to the laughs that come from Shawn and Gus’s antics. The one-liners they say are classic. Such great comedy writing.

11. I have thought it was canceled a few times just because the episodes air erratically so it isn’t a surprise to see it actually being canceled now. But still one of my favorite shows.

12. marie perullo says:

so sad to hear this /this is my favorite show I am going to miss watching it …

13. Cindy says:

So sad about this! This is my favorite show! I will miss watching this. Why oh why oh why must it end?!?

14. Chris C says:

I fell in love with the show, then for a moment fell out, then quickly fell back in love. It would be nice to have another network pick them up, but as it was stated at the end of last night show “they wanted to end on top”. Now a days show aren’t allow to have a long run time. Psych did, no matter how much USA try to mess it up. Looking forward to seeing these guys in new shows.

15. Why must all good things come to an end! So SAD, the best comedy on TV and I will miss it terribly. Guess I’ll be watching all my DVD’s of every season from now on!!!

16. gretchen says:

I love this show highlight of my Wednesday evening. I never got hooked on Monk or Burn Notice but this show rocked! (Maybe since Netflix saved Arrested Development and the Killing). Just Idea. ; )

17. A.Bircheat says:

Say it isn’t so!

18. Mary says:

Sorry to see it go off the air. I really enjoyed this show. It was spoofy sometimes but its actors and actresses were excellent making for a seamless good quality show with no vulgar language. It was refreshing to watch great actors play their parts. Wish they come back again soon.

19. Geo says:

Most dramas on TV are considered successful series after their 4-5th season. I believe their 100th episode is the milestone. Psych made it to 8 seasons. Which seems to make it a veteran of a great series at USA network.
    One of my favorite part of the show was his “Hi, my name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner (enter the craziest name you could possibly imagine)”
    I will miss the show greatly and hope that somehow or somewhere we’ll get to see the duo pair up again.

20. Kathryn says:

NOOOOO!!!

21. Peg Price says:

Every time USA has a show that is good and worth watching and something I get addicted to (and I don’t watch a lot of TV because there’s not much but crap on it anymore), they go and end the shows when it’s in its prime – Monk, Burn Notice, Psych.

22. Chris says:

I for one would rather a show end too early then have it dragged out. At least psych is getting to die with dignity, something too many great shows fail to do.

23. Blessy says:

I dont want to end!!

24. Maranda says:

Such a bummer! I love this show, and it will be missed.

25. Jan Davis says:

This is one show where you don’t hear alot of cursing and swearing. You don’t see people jumping into bed with one another just because… It was a show that taught people to be observant of things around them. The mysteries were very seldom gory and were solved in a round-about comedic fashion. I hope this show is picked up by another network.

26. John Ron-Je' says:

Best show ever!!! Everyone was great.

27. James Sundstrom says:

Very good show, although the long hiatuses between “seasons” made it difficult to be a really big fan. Any “must watch” feelings I had about the show ebbed after 6-8 months without new episodes. I would strongly suggest to anyone NOT familiar with the show that you start with the pilot episode, which I re-watched recently. Pretty damned brilliant.

28. OK. This is terrible. This is one of my absolute favorite shows! Ugh. Ugh. Ugh!!!!

29. Shanika Cuthbert says:

I’ve been watching Psych since I was 11… Now I’m 17 .. why take away my favorite show from me??? :'( There has to be a petition i can make or something!! :/ I love this show man!! <3

30. Robin says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This is such a great show … solving crime but so funny. Love the dialogue and writing. Love the characters. Other than the awful weather here in Chicago, this news now has added to my sadness.

31. Sarah West says:

Such a shame – this is one of the best shows out there.

32. Tom Lagacy says:

Truly disappointing…. this is, and has been – one of the most original and unique shows on television. It’s combination of humor and mystery/murder are unmatched. I really think USA is making a mistake on this –

33. it is so hard to find a show that I like. I love this show!!!! you are make a mistake of ending it

34. Veronica says:

Do you have any idea how difficult it is for me to find a show I actually like, let alone absolutely adore? This is my absolute favorite show. It’s pretty apparent a lot of other people feel as distraught as I am. You are making a terrible mistake by ending this show at only 8 seasons. If you’re okay with losing plenty of loyal viewers though, go ahead. By the way, update PSYCH on Netflix? Thanks and have a nice day. ❤

35. Nancy says:

USA kills off another great show, first Burn Notice now Psych. Too much reality TV showing the other countries in the world what A-holes some of us Americans can be!! Will have to find another station to watch. USA you were number one on my list now your number zero!!

36. Ok…. really not liking the comments about the show “ending too early” IT’S BEEN 8 YEARS!!!! It is a great show, but eventually, shows become the same thing over and over. Here’s a crime, call Shawn and Gus, they see what cops don’t, crime solved. Repeat next week!! It’s the same for every TV series. It becomes very repetitive and unfortunately with the ADHD generation of 16-22 year olds running around now, they don’t stay tuned for too long in most cases.

So, its been a great run of a great show. I look forward to seeing whatever new original series USA brings us. They’ve been doing great the last few years. “Burn Notice” (rip), “White Collar”, “In Plain Sight”(rip), “Suits”, and the upcoming “Sirens” looks pretty promising.

37. Sher says:

You are messing with a good thing. Reality shows are so boring. Psych has won awards from the viewing public. Too many shows are cancelled too early. As Shawn and Gus would say …. “suck it!”. And you know thats right!

38. Bonnie says:

I can’t say this has been the best season but taking them off is a big mistake! They will be missed!!!!

39. Nola says:

When mentioning Gunsmoke, etc., from way back when, bear in mind that a series at that time was telecast almost year-round, except for the summer season. So if Gunsmoke was on for 20 years, that would translate to many more years in current “season” time. None of this 8 or 13 week stuff with most of the year off.

40. No not my Guster!! They took Dexter off & now Psych, what is wrong with the tv people? I Dex was a killer but of bad people & Shawn lies about his powers but at least both shows kept you coming back for more!! Oh, well time to try & find something good on tv. Dont get me started about SOA going off the air!!!

41. Don says:

Psych is once of the few TV show that brings my entire family together. We LOVE Shawn and Gus’s brand of humor, and quite frankly the entire cast. Similar to Kathy’s comment below, I am sooooo tired of reality shows. I call them “Horrible people behaving badly”. I hope USA continues to bring us intelligent shows! Monk was priceless too! A modern and funnier spin on Columbo!

42. kathie says:

i cant believe they are taking off one of the funniest and best shows on TV!!! WTF????? i am sooo tired of them putting on stupid useless reality shows and taking good ones off!!!!!!

43. Good. I can’t believe it lasted 8 seasons. I can’t even believe it made it past the effing pilot episode.

• Nibien says:

And yet, it did. Perhaps you should spend some time introspecting and finding out the crux of why your belief forming process is vastly so flawed. Doubt that’ll happen, though.

• Larissa says:

That’s your opinion, I’m guessing you’re one of those American Idol fans.

44. barbara deleo says:

i’m going to miss the snow i can’t wait the snow to come on why do they take off the good shows and put junk on.

45. Joe says:

What…? Come On Son…

46. Cappie says:

I am a huge fan of Psych but i think they are making the right call. It’s been a great run, and I’m glad it will end on a High note, unlike a lot of other good series that just kept going and stagnated.

• Shane says:

I agree. A lot of people don’t seem to realize that great shows don’t stay great forever. I’m glad they’re going out while they’re still on top instead of trying to keep a dying show on life support a la two and a half men (not that that show was ever any good). If a friend says that they’re going to start watching Psych I won’t feel the need to say something along the lines of “It’s a great show as long as you don’t watch past this certain season.” because it’s all solid material.

• Don says:

Good point! I didn’t even watch the final season of Burn Notice. Some shows just go on too long – and the story lines reach their conclusion! I remember reading the “Unresolved Sexual Tension” is a key ingredient in any Drama(dy). Seeing Lassie as a gentle guy, and Jules and Shawn in love certainly indicates a shift in the characters and the beginning of the end. Not all shows can be TBBT and maintain a great story line after the UST has been broken!

47. Jean Watson says:

Psych=9 years
    Monk=7 years
    Burn Notice=6(or 7) years

48. Mary Smith says:

hopefully this is a cm punk type storyline…… with all the wrestling guest stars we can only hope!

49. Jean Watson says:

Sassy, I think the cast decided not to season 9! Somewhere I read that Dule and/or James ending it on season 7-we are lucky to have season 8! Sooo very sad! 😕😕🍍🍍🍍🍍