‘True Detective’: HBO Confirms Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn to Star in Season 2

Collin Farrell Vince Vaughn True Detective

HBO at long last has confirmed the first specifics about season two of drama series “True Detective,” including the casting of Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn in lead roles.

Story will revolve around three cops and career criminal who navigate a web of conspiracy after a murder.

Farrell plays Ray Velcoro, a compromised detective whose allegiances are torn between his masters in a corrupt police department and the mobster who owns him. Vaughn plays Frank Semyon, a man in danger of losing his criminal empire when his move into legitimate enterprise is upended by the murder of a business partner.

“Fast and Furious” helmer Justin Lin is on board to direct the first two episodes of the eight-episode season. Lensing is set to begin later this fall in California for a January premiere.

Series creator Nic Pizzolatto is again penning all eight episodes for the new season.

There’s still no word about additional cast members, which are expected to include a femme in the role of a police officer.

The drama surrounding the planning for the second installment of “True Detective” has reached feverish levels, even by HBO standards.

The success of the first series, which was buoyed by the star power of Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, has set the bar high for season two.

1. anyhony says:

Farrell is dead already…wont be watching any longer…Tyler cant carry the show…vaughn is great with farrell…good chemistry. .but thats gone….all my friends agree and are tuning out…oh well.

2. Ginger says:

True Detective…..Excellent……Only hope Collin F. Is NOT dead.

3. I think WOODY AND MATTHEW DIFFENITY SET THE BAR EXSTREAMLY HIGH,BUT THEY COULDN’t find two other actors too match up as far as talent as Vinnce and Collin.This will b a very interesting season to c how the public feels.THIS is my favorite series and i hope it will b just as exciting

4. Ginny Petitt says:

I can’t see why you have to ruin this show (that I have been looking forward to seeing who you were going to cast) by adding Vince Vaughn! I think you could have Found someone a lot better! I will not be watching!

5. loco73 says:

I have to say that even to the most optimistic and eager fans of the fledgling series this is NOT good news…not by a longshot. Rumours of Colin Ferrell’s casting had been swerving around for a while. While I was not sold when it became official, I think that Ferrell has enough roles in his resume to pull this through. Movies like “Veronica Guerin”, “Phone Booth”, “Minority Report”, “Tigerland”, “Dead Man Down”, “London Boulevard” and a few others, makes it more than plausible for him do actually pull off a good performance.

But Vince Vaughn?!?! I am sorry, and I do not mean to sound harsh, but he was the last actor I would have thought off when looking to cast the second season of what has become one of HBO’s strongest new shows, of course that opinion is based on the amazing first season. Besides “Swingers” which he did with his once creative partner Jon Favreau, and some decent comic performances in movies like “Old School”, ” Wedding Crashers” and “Dodgeball”, I am sorry to say, Vince Vaughn has NOTHING on his moviemaking resume to warrant a casting such as this. Of course that is not to say that he might not suprise us all after all. The phrase wait and see comes to mind…but for now, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

The same goes for the chosen director. He might only direct the first two episodes, but Justin Lin who can only boast movies in the “Fast And Furious” franchise?! “Fast And Furious” movies are akin do what happens when you get hit repeadetly on the head… you eventually develop brain damage! And THIS is the guy who they chose to direct two episodes in one of the most eagerly anticipated tv series?!

Season one of “True Detective” has clearly had an impact with audiences as it struck such a deep chord with many TV viewers. It was anchored by brilliant writing, masterful direction and amazing performances from a terrific cast. Clearly Woody Harrelson was already a well seasoned and great actor, perhaps one of the best American actors working today, and while Matthew McConnaughey was not perhaps the first salient choice for a lead role in an HBO show, by the time he got cast his carreer had clearly taken a turn and he was on an upswing with strong performances in varried roles, like “The Lincoln Lawyer”, “Magic Mike”, “The Paperboy”, “Mud” and of course “Dallas Buyers Club”. Besides both actors were good friends and had a connection with eachother, having previously worked together in “EDtv” and kept that friendship developed on set all those years ago, going strong. A fact that was pretty clear during the season.

The decision to also have one director, such as Cari Joji Fukunaga, helm the entire season, made for seamless storytelling, visual, technical and otherwise. Having several directors involved in a show that only has 8 episodes per season is not the brightest idea…

I am not sure who generated these decisions, in terms of casting and directing, but from this one’s fan point of view, they are not off to a good start.

When I think of all the talented actors that could have filled out these roles…it boggles the mind that this it the choice arrived at, and yes that goes for both Colin Ferrell and Vince Vaughn.

One can only dream of what a pairing like let’s say Benicio Del Toro and Oscar Isaac could have brought to the second season of “True Detectice”…because to be frank, as it stands now, I am all of a sudden not that eager to return to the show as a viewer…

6. craig U.K says:

Thats not good news! – lazy casting! neither of these two actors as good as they are, have any serious depth and gravitas for the style of the show, which is True Detective in my book!
    Farrell is light and fluffy and Vince Vaughn too comedic, you just cant take him seriously. The weight and screen presence that MC and WH had in the first show was truly breathtaking, it was so original, powerful and fresh, dark and absorbing. They literally blew me away with their performances. Gonna be hard to come anywhere close!!! trust me…

7. Someone says:

Plot wise in Season 1 was more interesting not sure I like this plot that much but we’ll see I guess.

8. ChelleG says:

Well, they know they’ll have a female character! Of course, she’ll either be a hooker or a nag, but still – a femme!

9. Joe says:

I know it’s going to be brilliant, just plain f-ing amazing

10. shemitch says:

All I know is, I want in in this! I want to be on this show! I got so excited my grammar was wonky.

11. Amber says:

True Detective Season 2 also confirms casting 2 females to speak minimal lines in inconsequential, stereotypical roles.

12. T says:

I dunno ’bout this…I’ll give it a 3-episode commit. We’ll see.

13. JOhn says:

You idiots. M.M. WAS True Detective. Good luck. I’m out.

14. Rodger says:

These 2, as well as 3 others, have been on the True Detective cast list for the last month on IMDB. These so-called “announcements” are old news and worthless. Are they gonna have individual “announcements” for Elizabeth Moss, Taylor Kitsch, and Michelle Forbes too. Variety, stop trying.

15. Web Guru says:

Now that is rolling the dice. What an interesting/odd pairing, yet they are two powerhouse actors with skill. I can’t wait to get a feel for the chemistry, either a home run or a wait for the Netflix all in one weekend release.

16. George Anthony says:

Sounds like another *diverse* cast.

17. Blonde, blue-eyed Jesus says:

Does Justin Lin have the skill with actors to get great performances out of his actors? I haven’t seen his films.