TNT Renews ‘Last Ship,’ ‘Major Crimes’ and ‘Falling Skies’

The Last Ship Season 3 renewed

TNT has renewed its hot frosh drama “The Last Ship” and set a fifth and final season for sci-fi epic “Falling Skies.”

“Major Crimes” has also been picked up for a fourth season. And its stalwart detective drama “Rizzoli & Isles” is close to a pickup as well.

TNT is rolling out a boatload of original series this summer in a big test for the cabler and its programming chief, Michael Wright. So far, TNT is faring well, with “Last Ship” exceeding expectations.

The timing couldn’t be better for Wright, as Turner is in the midst of a top-to-bottom makeover under new CEO John Martin. Wright, prez of programming for TNT, TBS and TCM, is a candidate to fill the vacancy left by the departure in April of Steve Koonin as prexy of Turner Entertainment Group.

“TNT’s refreshed and recharged drama brand is soaring this summer, and that is due in large part to these three enormously popular dramas,” Wright said.

“Last Ship” has been picked up for 13 episodes, up from 10 for its debut season. Series starring Eric Dane and Rhona Mitra revolves around a Navy destroyer that avoids an apocalyptic event that wipes out most of the Earth’s population. Hank Steinberg is showrunner and co-created the show with Steven Kane for Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes banner. The show opened big for TNT last month and has since averaged 7.2 million viewers in Nielsen’s Live plus 7 measure.

“Major Crimes,” a spinoff of “The Closer,” has held up well and been given a 15-episode order for season four. “Falling Skies” will wrap up its alien-invasion saga with 10 episodes.

1. Carolyn Dillon says:

I truly want to express my appreciation for the manner in which Rizzioli & Isles has honored Lee Thomas Young. The writers have treated him as a family member deserving of time for his loved ones to grieve. This is the best I have seen. Not a cold hearted “In loving memory picture and date.” Thank you, I feel connected to the entire experience and Lee deserved the honor he is receiving. I felt he seemed sad during his last episodes, his eyes showed much sadness. I love this show, so much style.

2. Jason says:

You’ve couple an article about the TNT show “The Last Ship” with a picture from Srings upcoming Broadway Musical also called “The Last Ship”.

Doh!

3. Fisher says:

Why would TNT end the Falling Sky’s series after only 5 seasons? That crazy! It’s a great series. I can’t wait until each new episode.

Makes me afrad to get involved in any more of their series.

Guess I need to stop watching The Last Ship. Don’t want to wast my time on a series that will stop just when it’s getting good!
    The only reason I started watching this series is because I was watching Falling Sky’s reruns and saw the advertisement.

4. Loni says:

I am so happy The Last Ship starring Eric Dane was renewed. Big fan of Eric Dane and the show. Miss the Closer, so happy the new show will return. Taye Diggs’ Murder in the First is very good. I hope it gets picked up too.

5. S. A. Matheson says:

The Last Ship is good for a first season, however, where do they go from here — why make the storyline such that everyone in the world has died of a disease? The stories will start to get hokey and implausible (moreso) without food and potable water, etc. It is a little too fantastical. Wish the storyline didn’t kill off the whole world (bleak), etc. As much as I like, I doubt I’ll be around for the 2nd season.

6. Sue Hulse says:

I watched Falling Skies first 2 seasons but stopped…not interesting to me…too dark a show…The Last Ship is pretty good, both my hubby and I have watched each week so far…I too wonder where can they go from here???…Love Major Crimes…was a huge fan of “The Closer”…I’m so glad that they kept most of the crew from that show…Hope to see them stretch a little more with their story line…

7. cxg says:

I try to watch ‘Falling Skies’ every summer and promptly lose interest because the characters are so unlikeable. I could care less if they died off. Apparently I forget cuz the trailers always look so promising. Liking ‘The Last Ship’ so far but not sure how long they can float around the world trying to evade the Russians and find food & fuel. Might get old quick…… And that’s my unsolicited two cents for the day….

8. wjm980 says:

So “Falling Skies” will have a fifth season. I would love to see a poll of who even knew this show was on the air, let alone that it had been on for four seasons.

9. Aimee says:

Not a surprise but glad to hear it. The Last Ship is good summer fair and I am happy to have more of the MC squad on my TV.