FX Removing Disturbing Billboards for ‘The Strain’

'The Strain' Billboard
FX

FX is throwing in the towel and removing some billboards promoting its new horror show “The Strain” that are giving people the heebie jeebies.

The art, which shows a worm crawling out of an eyeball, has been criticized online.

“We are in the process of replacing the key art for ‘The Strain’ on outdoor media in several locations,” a FX spokesman said in a statement.

It’s still unclear how many of the ads will be taken down or what image they will be replaced with.

People plagued by the image include “Neighbors” director Nicholas Stoller, who was scared for his children, and “Legally Blonde” screenwriter Kristen Smith, who complained that the billboard could make her “crash and die.”

The show follows epidemiologists investigating a mysterious viral outbreak with a strain of vampirism.

“The Strain,” which is based on a 2009 novel by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, premieres July 13. The two will exec produce along with “Lost’s” ­Carlton Cuse.

1. adrien says:

They are still all over Los Angeles. Pico, Olympic, Melrose Blvds, to name a few. So thanks for nothing FX.

• Staci Lamkin says:

My kids are super scared of these billboards and are having nightmares too. What happen to common sense sensitivity. Children live in this city too. WHEN, WHEN, WHEN will these terribly FX billboards come down? Canceling my FX!!!

2. Glenn C. says:

Del Toro is right. Come on! People are such wimps/pussies! Like their kids don’t see worse in games!!!!! T.V. Shows! Movies! Hypocritical parents!

3. Montana says:

This is what people cry about, yet there are some bill boards that should not be post it such as alcohol or other items that should not be viewed for kids. but they complain for this. Bloody hell invest time in other important things such as your kids life your family, dinner conversations knowing your family. Yet they complain for things like this.

• Mark says:

The point isn’t to socially engineer society towards some utopia. It’s merely to remove extremely distracting billboards that could interfere with people’s ability to drive.

4. People need to stop caving in to whiny crybabies, they’ll get over it eventually.

5. tony says:

Mission accomplished

6. Ollie says:

God forbid any of these whiny people actually take a minute to explain to their kids the difference between reality and fantasy. You dont like it….LOOK AWAY!!!!! Oh sorry….that takes common sense. These idiots would rather whine and complain on social media until they get their way.

7. Jacques Strappe says:

Great PR job for The Strain, Nicholas Stoller and Kristen Smith. Checks are in the mail

8. Sage Wells says:

They remind me of those super low budget Mexican horror movies. So cheesy!

9. hardman73 says:

If this billboard is enough distraction of any kind to make Kirsten Smith crash and die…. then maybe she shouldn’t be driving to begin with. There are far worse things out there than any billboard might display, and now we all have to worry about Kirsten getting the heebie jeebies because… oh… a billboard disturbs/distracts Kirsten, or a weird bug might get squashed against her windshield…. just as she is driving near a kindergarten or a home for the elderly…. oh, yeah, totally the billboard/bug’s fault if that results in a tragedy where kids/elderly end up getting run over.
    Honestly, I can understand that some people are just too delicate in nature to be able to appreciate stuff like on that billboard, and I can even understand that it can be downright disturbing, and yes, billboards like these should not be put in places where kids – little people who by their very nature are still very delicate – could run into them, but really, if any sort of billboard is possible cause of you crashing and dying, then you have NO business behind the wheel of a large, fast-moving pile of heavy metal and should turn in your drivers licence right now before you end up crashing into any other people.

10. james says:

Wow. I never knew people could be that anal retentive! Anyways everyone had to live with legally blonde and no one complained.

11. RachelKati says:

@nicholasstoller when I was 3 an Alice Cooper billboard on Sunset upset me. I was scared by the ugly creepy clown woman. Yes I was an early reader and it said Alice. I survived. Kids are resilient little buggers

• Tam says:

Tell that to the father of the “The Santa Barbara Shooter”. Not all kids are the same and not all are as resilient as you seem to ‘think’ you know . Bad experiences at any early developmental stage can easily revisit a child as he/she matures. Don’t pretend to know anything about the subject.
      If advertizing is out in the public it should be subject to the same standards as other forms of public communication.

12. Ajax says:

But it’s so…eye-catching.

13. Nancy says:

I did a double take the first time I saw these while driving. I thought the billboards were disgusting, but not to the point as to where they needed to be taken down. I’ve seen worst.

14. Felipe Osuna says:

You go right ahead FX and succumb to the very weak and stupid sensitivities of overprotective parents. What a bunch of fools. Bad press is everything I guess huh? I would have wished for FX to stick to their guns. I’ve lost tremendous respect for Stoller now. What an ass.

15. Xiphos0311 says:

What a bunch of wusses both the whiners and FX

• Tam says:

It’s about protecting the most vulnerable of the ‘herd’ you cretin.

• Xiphos0311 says:

You’re “protecting” them from a 1 second so glimpse if they even see it? man you are a pathetic weakling. Never reproduce and never leave the house you POS.

16. JD says:

I don’t find it that disturbing. Much ado about nothing.

17. jake says:

I have a severe eye phobia, and I nearly threw up when I saw that picture. I’m literally gagging.