‘The Originals,’ ‘Supernatural’ Fuel CW’s Tuesday Turnaround

The Originals Super Natural Ratings

The net hasn't drawn a larger audience on the night since 2008

Fox’s Monday night has shown considerable improvement this season thanks to “Sleepy Hollow,” but no broadcast lineup has turned things around quite like the CW’s Tuesday.

The combo of rookie “The Originals” and nine-year vet “Supernatural” on a new night has worked wonders for the net — and their popularity shows no sign of waning. The former drew its largest same-night audience yet this week (2.5 million) and the latter hit a three-year high (2.65 million).

And together, they gave CW its most-watched Tuesday in more than five years — since October 2008.

“The Originals,” a spinoff of the net’s hit Thursday drama “The Vampire Diaries,” grew 22% week-to-week in total viewers and matched its season high in adults 18-49 (1.1 rating/3 share). The show is one of the biggest gainers in full-week DVR playback, too, rising on average from its same-night score by 70% in women 18-34 and 52% in total viewers.

Through December, “The Originals” was ranked as the most popular new show on social media, according to ListenFirst, which aggregates and analyzes data streams across social, digital and traditional channels.

“Supernatural” on Tuesday hunted down its largest audience since October 2010  while hitting a five-year high in female teens (1.6/6) — viewers who were playing with their Bratz dolls when the show debuted on The WB in the fall of 2005.

“Supernatural” has not officially been renewed for a 10th season, which would include the show’s 200th episode, but its recent ratings suggests it is likely to happen.

1. Lee Anna says:

Supernatural is the best primetime series of it’s ilk to come our way since the sci-fi Star-Trek fame caught on and captured it’s huge following. I certainly do hope it continues to it’s 10th season! Speaking as a fan from day 1 nine years along, I would Love to see it’s 200th epsisode.

2. big daddy D says:

Because they allowed him to ascend to heaven..like mullet guy Ash. So I think they wrote him off. I hope they bring Bobby back as a special guest…just like Ash/Rufus.

• Lola_dk says:

I still would like to see Bobby come back and I agree it would be nice to see Rufus again. I loved him and Bobby together. I’m a bit over Cas, nothing against Misha, I like Misha but Cas is getting a bit tiring..to me anyway. I never got why Misha became a regular and Jim was “only” ever a guest star on the show.

3. Katiya says:

There is no official announcement from CW about Supernatural being renewed for season 10. But I sure hope they do! I’ve loved Supernatural since I was eleven (I am seventeen now) so you can pretty much say I grow up with it. I love the show, the cast, and the characters. The show is at its most awesomeness so I hope they renew it but keep the story interesting to keep the viewers excited. Fingers crossed. Long live #SPNFamily !

• Lola_dk says:

4. Lisa says:

Great news for CW and Supernatural! I just started watching Supernatural myself a couple of years ago, mainly because of all the buzz I was hearing on the internet about Dean&Castiel and Misha Collins and I was so glad that I did because it is a great show with a phenomenal cast! Collins, Ackles, and Padalecki combine to make three amazing regular characters on the show and I can never get enough of Team Free Will! I hope that if that Season 10 renewal is for real that the show also keeps Misha Collins as a regular along with Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki. I’d love to see even more of my personal favorite character, Castiel on the show, as well as more of the great bond between Cas & Dean (hopefully to see that bond flourish), and more of the great dynamic between all three characters (Go Team Free Will!) and all three actors! It’s a great show, but Cas (Misha) and his relationships with the Winchester brothers are the main reasons that I’m a viewer and passionate fan!

• big daddy D says:

Misha Collins is a great actor, but Castiel isn’t one of my favorite characters. Bobby/Charlie..even Crowley. I love those idjits.

5. Really, SPN has been officially renewed for a 10th season?

6. Lola_dk says:

Love love love Supernatural!!!! ❤️❤️ Only thing wrong with this show, is that Jim Beaver isn’t still on it.

7. Cher says:

Big D, Mark Pedowitz, the CW Prez says Supernatural can stay on as long as we keep up the great ratings like we have been. It hasn’t been “officially” renewed for season 10 yet, but pretty sure it will be and 10.5 will be the 200th episode!

• big daddy D says:

Sounds like S10 is a lock to me..even if Jensen jumps over to the House of Mouse. I think he would make a great Hawkeye…not that Jeremy Renner is a schlub..or anything.

• Lola_dk says:

Well Jim shows up on a lot of shows, which is good. But I miss Bobby on the show, they bring everybody else back so why not him?!