The groundbreaking ABC family drama “The Fosters” and Emmy-winning HBO movie “Behind the Candelabra” were among the big winners Saturday at the 25th annual GLAAD Media Awards, which recognizes accurate representations of the LGBT community.
Honorees for 12 of this year’s 29 media categories were feted at Los Angeles’ Beverly Hilton Hotel.
Iconic TV writer Norman Lear, who produced the hit 1970s sitcoms “All in the Family,” “Sanford and Son” and “The Jeffersons,” received the Pioneer Award. Jennifer Lopez picked up the coveted Vanguard Award while “Orange Is the New Black’s” Laverne Cox was presented the Stephen F. Kolzak Award by actress Ellen Page.
Meanwhile, NBC’s longrunning soap “Days of Our Lives” took home the prize for daily drama. The soap recently made television history by airing the first-ever male same-sex wedding in daytime.
Here are Saturday’s winners:
• Pioneer Award: Norman Lear
• Vanguard Award: Jennifer Lopez
• Stephen F. Kolzak Award: Laverne Cox, star of “Orange Is the New Black”
• International Advocate for Change Award: Manny de Guerre, founder of the Side by Side LGBT Film Festival in St. Petersburg, Russia
• Documentary: TIE: “Bridegroom” (Virgil Films / OWN) and “Call Me Kuchu” (Cinedigm)
• Drama Series: “The Fosters” (ABC Family)
• TV Movie or Miniseries: “Behind the Candelabra” (HBO)
• Reality Program: “Big Freedia: Queen of Bounce” (Fuse)
• Daily Drama: “Days of Our Lives” (NBC)
• Newspaper Article: “LGBTQ in the Capital” (series) by Melissa Griffiths (Juneau Empire [Juneau, Alaska])
• Digital Journalism – Multimedia: “We Are Here: LGBTI in Uganda” by Sunnivie Brydum, D. David Robinson (Advocate.com)
• Music Artist: Tegan and Sara, Heartthrob (Warner Bros. Records)
• Comic Book: “Young Avengers,” written by Kieron Gillen (Marvel Comics)
• Talk Show Interview: TIE: “Debate por la igualdad” Al Punto (Univision) and “Decisión Histórica” Sin Límites con Elizabeth Espinosa (CNN en Español)
• Local TV Journalism: “Natalia: rompiendo barreras” Noticiero Telemundo Arizona (KTAZ-39 of Phoenix, Ariz.)
• TV Journalism Segment: “Decisión Histórica” Noticiero Telemundo (Telemundo)
• Digital Journalism – Multimedia: “Eric y Juan, un matrimonio feliz a pesar de todo” by Fernando Mexia (EFE.com)