Telenovela Soap Star and Ex-Miss Venezuela Killed in Attempted Robbery

Monica Spear Dead -- Telenovela Star

Monica Spear, a popular telenovela actress and former model, was shot and killed with her ex-husband during a highway robbery in Venezuela, police said Tuesday.

The actress, 29, appeared in several TV soaps, including Telemundo’s “Flor Salvaje” in 2011 and “Pasión Prohibida” last year.

“We are deeply saddened by the horrible crime that affected the beloved actress Monica Spear and her family,” Telemundo said in a statement.  “Monica was not only a great professional as we saw in the two novelas she worked with us – but also an excellent person, always enthusiastic, full of strength and determination.  We wish a quick recovery to her daughter and send our deepest condolences to her family.”

Spear was on vacation with her husband and daughter in Venezuela when they were both killed after their car broke down.

According to local police, the couple was in a small accident on the Valencia-Puerto Cabello highway that stranded their vehicle. Armed men approached the car and the couple locked themselves inside. The assailants then opened fire, injuring the child and killing the parents, police said.

Spear, who also appeared on “La Mujer Perfect” and “Mi Prima Ciela,” had been living in Miami since leaving the country in recent years due to the region’s growing violence.

Former co-star Jencarlos Canela confirmed the thesp’s passing on Twitter.

“I’m without words,” he wrote. “I will miss my friend @MonicaSpear”

1. Buster rymes says:

Am very sorry to hear this , i pass my condolences to the family of Monica spear

2. joyce says:

may your dear soul rest in peace monica (bianca)

3. nathanael says:

m very very sad nd shocked by that,,, aaaaaaaaahhhhhh ,may ur soul rest in peace spear

4. AD says:

This tragic story makes me disgusted of the country i am from. how can people smile at the pain of others? and all of it just for money. this women was miss.venezuela for god sakes. i feel awful for the daughter because now that poor little girl has no parents and is probably traumatized for life. the men approached the car and shot the parents and her in the leg. how awful is that? i cannot believe a country can have so much hatred for others and all because they want money!!!! i find that awful because all she wanted to do was have a vacation in HER OWN COUNTRY for the holiday season. Nobody is safe in venezuela. the truth is hard to admit. rest in peace monica spears

5. Araceli , Villarreal says:

d I will miss her very much. My favorite tevenovela that she performed in was PASION PROHIBIDA. I will keep her daughter that I can relate to her mother’s loss, Cause I also lost my mother to . Due to her illness. May God Bless You !!!!

6. Araceli , Villarreal says:

I am deeply shocked to hear about the death of Monica and her Ex Husband. Especially about Monica , Spears she was a really great actress. And will be very missed alot. My condolences go out to her daughter . And especially her family an

7. marilyn rios says:

I fell in love with her after watching the two soaps she starred in on Spanish TV. A bright star gone much to soon. May she RIP and my deepest condolences to her family and friends.

8. Mjkbk says:

Sadly ironic that Ms. Spear was murdered in Venezuela, after having moved away to the U.S. because of increasing violence in her homeland (Caracas possesses one of the highest per capita murder rates in the world).

This poor little family. To the mom and dad, may you rest in peace. To their daughter, deepest condolences.

9. Keith Diggs says:

I enjoyed her performances in both Pasion Prohibida y Flor Salvaje, what a shame. Que dios la bendiga.

10. Rick Holler says:

They could have said it was in Caracas, not just Venezuela. Its like someone has been killed in Canada, Canada is a big country. Name the city you horrible column writers.

11. Rick Katz says:

A person living at the height of life mercilessly killed by animals at the lowest depths of life. Hope the murderers get killed.

12. Samala says:

This is so horrible. I pray that her daughter will recover physically and emotionally. The article does not mention if the murderers were apprehended, but I know they will face judgement for what they have done.

13. Dian says:

It’s a sad and cruel world we live in.

Prayers for the family members stricken with this despicable event and that their little girl be surrounded with love and care.

May Jehovah God touch them with his peace, strength and love.

14. Marilyn says:

No place seems to be safe .

15. Donna says:

This is horrible! I’m shocked. She was wonderful in Flor Salvaje. Can’t believe she’s dead!