Survey: 72% Say NBC Should Cut Ties to Cosby

Bill Cosby Rape Accusations
Andrew Toth/FilmMagic

NBC may want to consider the results of a survey regarding Bill Cosby commissioned by Variety, finding the overwhelming majority of respondents don’t feel the network should be in business with the comedian.

Seventy-two percent believe the Peacock should not go forward with a Cosby comedy series in development  in the wake of new sexual-assault allegations raised against him.

Fifty-one percent of the 1,000 people surveyed Monday by celebrity brand expert Jeetendr Sehdev also reported thinking “the same” of the veteran comedian, more than the 41% who felt negatively and the 8% who reacted positively.

Sehdev interpreted that result as a reflection of the reservoir of goodwill the public retains regarding his body of work. “This is most likely driven by his family-centric, funnyman persona and his age,” he said.

Asked how likely they were to watch Cosby on TV in light of the allegations, 44% responded “not likely” while 35% were indifferent. The remaining 21% characterized themselves as “very likely,” which suggests the scandal may have created some degree of renewed interest in the comedian.

“However, the sexual assault allegation charges seem to have taken their toll on the number of people willing to engage with his brand,” noted Sehdev.

Most respondents believe Cosby guilty of the allegations he’s facing, with 59% of those surveyed believing the charges. A slightly higher number also felt Cosby should have responded verbally to the recent NPR interview in which he fell silent when asked about the women who have come forward suggesting he behaved inappropriately toward them.

1. It is good for all of us that we are talking about this. We must confront this and deal with it if we want a better world for everyone.

2. John Syldo says:

I believe that majority of men will not be affected by this scandal, even if it is true. Especially now that it is common knowledge that in the world of entertainment, every aspiring actress has to use sex to attain success in her career. For those famous and successful actresses, they will never reveal their sad experience. Only for those little known actresses and models, they have nothing to lose by seeking publicity or making monetary gain. Besides, among many predators, Cosby is comparatively kind and generous.

3. amanda says:

I stand by Bill Cosby and would still watch his shows. Unless he has been found guilty of these accusations it means nothing. Hang in there Cosby family.

4. Hillaryforpresident says:

I cannot believe how sheepish the American public has become. The media reports it, it must be true. God forbid they ever have an agenda against you or I. I cannot say if Cosby is guilty or not. However, there is no evidence to say he is. The number of women proves nothing, since it seems most of them came out after the media attack began. Let me be clear, I believe he slept with some of these women, which makes him a jerk in my book for the infidelity, but why does no one question why all these women were going to his hotel room and drinking late at night, or agreeing to take pills, or returning repeatedly for a repeat?

5. Chelsea says:

Apparently Netflix has just decided to pull the Cosby special obviously after reading this. Good move.

6. Ron says:

Amongst all the speculation nice to see some hard facts on the situation so far. We still seem to be an ethical society! Sad but I personally think Bill needs to retire.

7. Even before these allegations I could not understand why NBC would bring him back. He was great, but he has had his day.I do not think they should produce a new show for him!

8. MattHar69 says:

NBC should pull out as rape is one serious allegation. I’d definitely be less likely to watch Cosby after these allegations. They’ve just been going on for years.

9. High-tech lynch mob indeed. #TeamCosby

10. Jodi says:

Cut ties Now!!!!! Get rid of him…..#getridofcosby

11. ccl says:

No how old is he? and when did this all happen? Ok he would have taken the “little blue pill” and then knew he would have sex BEFORE all of what happened… YES I will know – I have an OLDER MAN… they cannot just DO IT… DUH???

12. Cathy Joyce says:

He should retire at his age. He does not need the money nor the criticism. Just enjoy his senior years. His personal life sounds bad, but his shows were great. He did a lot of good things, but now he needs to deal with the negative part of his life. If he is guilty then he must face the consequences. I always thought the world of him, but now I am discouraged.

13. Joe says:

I always believe the accused is innocent until proven guilty, but the fact that the majority of his accusers aren’t after money and they’ve been telling the same stories for over a decade has me thinking Cosby might be guilty. And it breaks my heart. I always looked up to Mr. Cosby. I grew up watching his shows and comedy special repeatedly. I even paid a lot of money to see him do stand-up live a few years ago.

14. GNI Staff says:

Reblogged this on Global News Insider.

15. MarinDem says:

THE MEDIA TRIAL HAS BEGUN. AND IT APPEARS THAT VARIETY REPORTING THE RESULTS OF 1000 PEOPLE SELECTED BY A MEDIA BRAND EXPERT IS THE FIRST SALVO. CALL YOUR NEXT WITNESS?