Stephen Colbert Accused of Racism With #CancelColbert Campaign

Stephen Colbert

Stephen Colbert is in hot water after a joke he made went viral, igniting a firestorm over Twitter.

“I am willing to show #Asian community I care by introducing the Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever,” “The Colbert Report” Twitter wrote Thursday.

The joke was taken from a bit on Wednesday night’s “The Colbert Report,” parodying Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder and his launch of the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation in light of controversy over the team name. Taken out of context, however, many Twitter users saw the joke as racist, and launched a #CancelColbert campaign that quickly became a trending topic.

As the controversy started, the tweet was deleted, but Twitter users managed to screenshot the tweet before it disappeared.

Comedy Central and “The Colbert Report” has yet to speak publicly on the controversy. Colbert has called the character he plays on the show “an idiot” in the past.

Updated on 03/27/14 10:04 PM: Colbert tweeted about the controversy on his account, sharing sentiments with the protesters.

“The Colbert Report” Twitter clarified that the account is not run by Colbert himself.

Tweets from those in the #CancelColbert campaign:

1. Daniel says:

The first clue is that Stephen is on the “Comedy Channel.” The second clue is that it is a political satire show. That being said, do you really take every word said on the show as fact? Please do not cancel the Colbert Report, its the best show on comedy central. If those to dull to get it dont want to watch, change the channel.

2. The Piano Man says:

Shows that people just don’t get the joke and that he’s lambasting Daniel Snyder by taking racial insensitivity to absurdist proportions. People might complain that when someone like Rush, or Hannity make an insensitive comment and they get called out on it, only later to claim it was absurdist humor, that they’ve failed in making the joke clearly apparent to the public. In other words, they have to back-pedal and overly explain because no one thinks of them as comedians, when in reality, they probably mean what they said in the first place. Colbert is first, and foremost, a comedic performer. Knee-jerk reaction.

3. Who cares!!!! says:

So much for freedom of speech. Who cares what he said. If you don’t like it, move on with your life. I can’t believe people get all upset over such small things…

4. Piece of Resistance says:

Wait, do you mean that some people got upset over something that was taken out of context??
    That NEVER happens. Ever.

5. Alicia says:

sat·ire
    ˈsaˌtīr/
    noun
    noun: satire

the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
    synonyms: mockery, ridicule, derision, scorn, caricature;

6. TimS says:

I think all these idiots crying about Colbert’s remark SERIOUSLY misunderstood the context. It was mocking racism – not Asians. Get off your high-horses and work on some reading comprehension.

7. Ryan Moser says:

all you people are stupid as 4ell. How bout all the black comedians who make jokes about white people, but yet we don’t call them racist. All because we enslaved them. It’s 2014, take the stick out ya a$$.

8. Joe dirt says:

seriously ppl so what if he made a racist remark. We all at one time or another made a racist remark b4. Whether we ment it or not. Plus its a dam comedy show. I watched it and thought the skit was the funniest thing I seen. Boo hoo hoo hoo he made fun of Chinese ppl. Its America (where we have the freedom of speech) so Stephen had every right to make that joke if he wanted. Grow up and get over it.

9. Jes Quintana says:

The man made a JOKE about something he found racist! What the hell is the problem?! Just because he used what *sounds* like an Asian dialect, and believe me, I’ve heard worse…doesn’t make your race a TARGET, but simply the butt end of a joke. A JOKE. Example: My friend Nancy Che (Viet) was backing out of my driveway at night. She looked back and smashed my mailbox. Is it safe to make a simple joke about that? YES. I still don’t stop fucking with her. Of course I laugh when I hear the word spic, etc. YOU ARE NOT AN EXCLUSIVE GROUP WHO DESERVES CERTAIN RIGHTS. You are just another racial subtype in an overall AMERICAN population. What a bunch of cunts. I’m sure the people of your respective countries wouldn’t bitch about a simple joke when they’re dealing with bigger problems. I swear, pussified Americans. GTF OVER IT.

10. What in God’s name is wrong with this country and the people that inhabit it? He’s on a comedy channel and his job is comedy! People need to get off their high horses and eat some valium or something and chill the hell out. More sign carriers looking for a place to stand. I’m beyond sick of seeing the race card played and the gay card played and the…………Grow up people and stop trying to make life a perfect little place with perfect little people in perfect little houses. ENTER REALITY!

11. Andy says:

Simply genius. Let the butt hurt commence from both sides of the fence. The modern satirist is once again, over the heads of the enraged! Carry on Colbert!

• B says:

Agreed. I can’t tell which side is more rage-inducing, as there is enough butt hurt on both sides to fill an ocean. Regardless, Colbert will always have my respect.

12. Dan Brecher says:

Ethnic humor is harmless, Now bullying is Criminal

13. Neuralblastoma says:

my god, you have got to be kidding me. cancel The Colbert Report for a tweet he didn’t even write? just look at all the racist b***s*** the Fox news anchors go on about, and they actually mean it. Colbert is a satirical comedian. it is an ACT. people need to relax and if it still bothers you that much, don’t watch the show. it’s not worth cancelling.

14. smcfrt732 says:

you got to be kidding. Colbert is satire. If you take offense to satirical comedy then stop following or watching satirical shows. Its pretty simple. I find things said on Fox News offensive so guess what. I dont watch or follow and so I am never butthurt. ..just sayin.. Colbert is awesome.

15. greg petliski says:

A world full of overly sensitive idiots. Thats our society!

16. liquid4012 says:

Oh Michelle Malkin’s on board? $10 she argues the opposite way when it comes to Snyder’s lame attempt at “Americanizing” Native Americans. This is why I hate Twitter and will never go back to that pool of self-righteous dickbags. How many of these people complaining are actually conservatives just looking for a way to get a thorn in their side out?

17. Rick Carr says:

When will people learn?!?!?! If you are going to make jokes at a race’s expense, that race had damn sure better be white! Black guys have entire comedy routines about how lame we are.

18. Dobber1029 says:

Love how the libs quickly come to his defense about how its only satire and everyone else needs to get over it..Perhaps they should value that when pile on. that same satire when it doesn’t suit their ideology.. How do you like it? Oh you don’t, that right

19. Mike Gibson says:

people need to lighten up. Irish and polish people have had jokes told about them for years.

20. JH says:

Wow, the politically correct standards we have to live up to these days is just ridiculous. Everyone has a soapbox they feel the need to stand on at a moments notice just because they want to feel like they’re changing the world or something. Or maybe they just like hearing themselves talk. Relax people, he’s a f*cking comedian! White comedians make fun of every race, black comedians make fun of every race, Spanish comedians make fun of every race… do you guys see a pattern here? It’s comedy. I’m white and when a black comedian makes fun of white people for eating mayonnaise (which, I actually hate and really don’t know too many people that “love” it) I still think it’s funny because I appreciate the fact that it’s a old stereotype he/she is talking about. Lighten up people.

• spare me! white people lose your damn s**t when someone says something you don’t like so come off it that we can all make fun of each other garbage! you all want to be the only ones mocking others while you hem and haw that others need to get over it while you scream for respect HYPOCRITE!

• This. I’m Asian and I didn’t find that segment offensive at all.
      People who over react to everything they perceive as “racist” are just as guilty for promoting racism as the actual racists.

21. Linda says:

Our citizens have lost their sense of irony.

22. GTKZ says:

Serioulsy? It’s comedy. It’s satire. Get it? feel sorry for people who lack a sense of humor, especially one not tainted by politically correctness, which kills just about everything. Think back to when you had one, if you ever did. And while you’re out there, somewhere, trying to find the sense of humor you once had but let go when you thought it was cool to not have one, in the meantime, see if you can figure out how to grow up, even if it’s just a tiny ittty bitty bit.

23. DeeDee says:

The only people who could possibly be upset by this are those that have no idea what Stephen Colbert does. He was using SATIRE to point out the racism of the Washington Redskins. DUH. He was not making fun of Asians, He was not being racist, HE WAS MAKING FUN OF RACISTS. DERP. He was using an absurd example of overt racism to POINT OUT THE HYPOCRISY of the Washington Redskins. D’OH!

24. Richard Ruggles says:

Terri Ruggles

25. cj says:

Colbert tries really hard to parody Bill O’Reilly who says way worse that this on the daily why can’t we #cancelo’reilly

26. I am part Latin part Asian. And while I deplore Asian stereotypes, but the joke was here is that one is getting made at the Redskins? And Michelle Malkin can go stuff her self. If she really upset at an Asian slight (even though she said that the Japanese Interment camps were a good thing.), then she should be horrified over the Washington Team’s name.
    “the Washington Redskins.. Washington Redskins, that’s not nice! That’s a racial slur! That’s kind of like having the New York Niggers, okay?”
    Chris Rock on SNL way back in the 90’s

27. elaine188jessie says:

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.

28. Ben says:

Wow you guys really don’t know what satire is, do you?

29. mlinton81 says:

Colbert was clearly mocking racism by acting the way he thinks a racist would act. I don’t think his show should be cancelled but I would like to point out that he is being criticized through the same PC tactics that many of his liberal fans and friends use to criticize the right when conservatives make similar remarks for a similar reason (mocking the perception of conservatives as racist/sexist/anti-gay/etc.)

30. Liz says:

Colbert was parodying “The Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation,” a real example of racism whitewashed in a PR move.

It’s a bit high-level, and taken out of context, it sounds terrible, but Colbert is criticizing racism. He is saying that the Washington sports team’s conciliatory charity is still racist.

Colbert’s point: “Because [the owners want us to believe] Redskins’ is not offensive if you only use it once in your name.”

31. Alex says:

I think Colbert is a douchebag, BUT the P.C. Police should shut the “F” up!

32. Dan Moyer says:

Seriously? He’s a comedian, making a parody of something else. If you are going to be offended by everything, perhaps the internet isn’t for you. And here is a little form you can fill out and submit. http://www.awsm.com/4038/butthurt-report-form/

33. Rick Clark says:

This is dumb and you are dumb for posting about it. Way to understand satire, Twitter.

34. Stephanie says:

This is idiotic. People know this is a parody show , right? He is making fun of people who think like this. Duhhhh.

• Twitter account holders? No, they don’t know.

I don’t have a twitter account, but from what I have seen over the few years that they have been around, I feel that I am not racist enough, nor is my IQ low enough to meet the apparently low rating required to have a Twitter account.

My loss.

35. Eddie says:

God I hate people sometimes. I really do. “I don’t like and/or understand something. Cancel it!”

36. “Co-sign! RT @suey_park I’m sick of liberals hiding behind assumed “progressiveness” #CancelColbert”
    Then stop being a conservative righty.

37. Danny says:

I’m Asian, and I have a question: Why are so many of the tweeters outraged by this “scandal” not actually Asian? I DON’T NEED YOU TO FIGHT BATTLES ON MY BEHALF!

I watched both this recent episode and the 2005 episode in which he originated the “Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever” sketch, and both times I found it frakking hilarious.

Why not focus your energies on something that matters? Here are some options that really need your attention:

– child hunger in the United States
    – the horrible treatment of our veterans
    – the trend of devaluing crime victims vs the increasing valuing of criminals
    – stupid educational standards for our kids that produce minimal results
    – politicians getting away with dereliction of duty while being paid outrages amounts through our taxes

Need some causes that are more Asian-centric? How about these?

– gender roles and the misogynistic principles that develop Asian relationships
    – human rights violations taking place in Asian countries such as North Korea, China and others
    – the rampant devaluing of women in countries such as India in which too many male members of their society think it’s okay to commit gang rape
    – the ridiculously high suicide rate among youth in Japan
    – the mistreatment by American society and by our government of our troops that served in the Vietnam conflict

Basically, I’m saying get your priorities straight and pipe the f#&ck down. This isn’t an issue. Period. However, there are way too much going on in the world that is, yet you’re choosing to ignore them for the sake of a couple seconds in the spotlight via Twitter. Pretty pathetic…

While you’re at it, next time develop a sense for satire and some emotional maturity before you launch off on a crusade.

38. Shawn Walton says:

You people do realize he was saying this to show how ridiculous it is to poke fun at one ethnic group right? This satire was actually directed at the owner of the Washington Redskins football team and the quote was taken out of context from the actual direction of the conversation…

39. Seems to me a very obvious parody piece. Are people LOOKING to get offended?

40. God, shut up you right wing nutjobs. You morons have been making racist statements since your inception, yet Stephen makes one off the cuff remark making fun of a current event, and you cream in your jeans thinking his show will get canceled and there will be one less intelligent liberal to throw a wrench into your gears. Wrong.

41. Arnold says:

The world is an hypocrite !!

42. amy says:

oh please, it is a fucking joke. if you are too obtuse to understand what humor is doing when you make a statement that shows the idiocy of racism in the way he did, then just go back to listening to carlos mencia or watching everyone loves raymond or any other mindless canned comedy meant for the masses who can’t think outside of their contrived and quaint paradigm. don’t interfere with the art that many of us love when we take sensitive subjects and skewer them and take advantage of them until we have taken the power away from those who are stupid enough to have those thoughts. and frankly, if you are dense enough to be offended by this, you are the reason that douchebags still have the power to hurt

43. Alan Jackson says:

Oh my word, have you people never heard of satire? Or context?

Colbert’s joke was not aimed at Asians, for —-‘s sake. It was a parody, a jab at the Washington Redskins’ pathetic attempt to make up for their incredibly insensitive team name by starting some ridiculous pro-Native American foundation or whatever that thing is supposed to be.

Just because some people do not find something funny, doesn’t mean the rest of us should be denied the right to watch a show we enjoy. That is why we have a First Amendment…

…And you have a remote control.

44. Dave Conley says:

Umm Michelle Malkin who supported the Japanese internment camps was outraged by this joke? Honestly she’s just no fun anymore!

45. Robin says:

I don’t think people understand the meaning of the word “Joke”. Trey Parker and Matt Stone do something like this EVERY WEEK. You guys are ridiculous.

46. rikperry says:

Let’s cancel the joke, and keep the real thing.

47. Eric says:

#cancelpeoplewhodontgetsatire #dummies

48. This is just another example of someone (or in this case a lot of someones) not getting the whole idea of the Colbert Report- perhaps only different in that it has a loose sort of organization. Some people really just can’t take a joke. While I don’t think The Colbert Report has quite the social significance of The Daily Report, both are heads above most of the main stream media in good reporting, and we need them. Not just for comedy anymore.