‘SNL’ Lets Go of Cast Member Brooks Wheelan

'SNL' Lets Go of Cast Member
FilmMagic

One freshman cast member of “Saturday Night Live” will not be returning for the 40th season.

Brooks Wheelan has been fired from the show. The 27-year-old tweeted the news on Monday to his 32,000 followers.

An NBC rep said the network does not comment on “SNL” casting changes.

Wheelan made his name as a stand-up comedian before exec producer Lorne Michael picked him up for the show’s 39th season. He was best known on “SNL” for his recurring roles on Weekend Update, in which he appeared as himself to advise against irresponsible behavior.

His repertoire of celebrity impressions included Jared Leto, Kid Rock, Matthew McConaughy, Harry Styles and Slash.

The Iowa native was one of many new players brought on in a season that saw an unusually high number of newcomers. The fates of fellow freshmen Kyle Mooney, Beck Bennett, Noel Wells, Mike O’Brien, and Sasheer Zamata have yet to be announced.

SEE ALSO: Is Whelan Just the First to Go at ‘SNL?’

1. Eli says:

Maybe lorn michaels should be the one to go

2. Eli says:

Maybe he was too……waspy ?

3. bob says:

Now if only they’d wisen up and fire that slab of posterboard Jost.

4. I’ve stopped watching SNL because it just wasn’t funny. I often wondered if the guests realized how unfunny they and the show were. I hate to see people “fired”; but, let’s face it the show needs work. I don’t know if it’s the cast or the writers; but, damn it, the show has not been very good for a couple of years now.

5. Bree Zender says:

John Milhiser was also a featured player this season whose fate has yet to be announced.

6. WHEN I WALKED INTO THE BANK at 12:20 in the afternoon to rob it on a Monday it was just another day on the job for me. Walked in there like I owned the place and didn’t have hurry in the world. As soon as I stepped into the bank I stepped to the side and took off my glasses and let my eyes adjust. Looked around just briefly and headed over to an isle of brochures to allow myself to cool down from the normal oppressive heat in the jungle of jazzhttp://www.reallifeheist.com/2012/10/the-dope-feign-shuffle-by-mark-anthony.html#!/2012/10/the-dope-feign-shuffle-by-mark-anthony.html

7. The fact that Jon Milhiser wasn’t even mentioned in this article says a lot about who might be next…

8. rfk says:

“not rehired” won’t pay the bills either.

9. Stephen says:

Never cared much for his appearances on Weekend Update – can’t remember any time he made me laugh.

Technically though he wasn’t “fired”; he was a featured player and his contract expired. Pretty sure their contracts are year-to-year unless they get added to the repertory cast. So, more like “not rehired.”

10. deadre says:

he really was one of the better new male additions. maybe it’s sit-com time for him.

11. Brett says:

They had way too many featured players and only concentrated on Kate McKinnon and taran kilam. The new people don’t stand a chance of air time.

• Ben says:

Cecily Strong and Kenan Thompson also got a lot of airtime this year.

They can add and remove new people all they want, but the real change needs to come to the writers’ room.

12. He was a great addition. Sorry he won’t be coming back… :(

13. Jake says:

Maybe he was too pretty?

14. Chris says:

Sucks, cause I really liked him…