‘Shannara’ Fantasy Drama Lands Series Order From MTV

Jonathan Liebesman

MTV has given a 10-episode order to “Shannara” in the hopes of building its own “Lord of the Rings”-like fantasy franchise out of the book series by Terry Brooks.

Feature helmer Jonathan Liebesman has signed on to direct the first two hours of the series, to be shepherded by showrunners Miles Millar and Alfred Gough for Sonar Entertainment.

Millar and Gough have deep experience in the genre through their long run on WB/CW’s “Smallville.” Millar and Gough exec produce with Liebesman, Brooks, Dan Farah and Jon Favreau. Favreau had been attached to direct the project but has bowed out due to scheduling conflicts.

The “Shannara” novels, which Brooks began writing in the late 1970s, have bounced around Hollywood in film and TV development for years. MTV’s plan is to start the series with the second novel in the 17-book series, “The Elfstones of Shannara.” Series will feature a strong female lead in the story of a family with magical powers in a post-apocalyptic world.

Liebesman’s pic credits include “Battle Los Angeles,” “Wrath of the Titans” and the upcoming reboot of “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.” He’s managed by David Gardner of Principato-Young.

1. Bradley says:

This is great news, I’ll be thrilled to see all the characters I’ve loved come to life. This series is epic in scope and there’s so many books to go through should it continue. Terry Brooks writing is so descriptive that the script should basically write itself. And on that note all I have to say is DO NOT MESS THIS UP!!. It’s not the Seeker, or Game of Thrones, don’t compress it too much or stray into a “directors vision” of what it should be, just make it exactly as Terry has written it. It’s not hard.

• Jay says:

Why would they start with the 2nd book that was not nearly as good as the first book? Why do I fear it’s not going to do the series justice? Better to screw up the Shannara series than the Amber chronicles IMO :)

• stuart says:

Well lets face it, there is too much similarity to a certain other Fantasy Trilogy to start with “The Sword.” Everyone watching it for the first time would say it is so similar and get their backs up and probably not read his other far superior work. Besides if you are talking about starting in order, you might want to read all his books before you decide which is first in the series. And by the way Jay, have you read Elfstones, it is much better than Sword anyway.

• Lowell says:

Being an avid fan, and having read the series multiple times, the 2nd book is much more ‘exciting’ and engaging than the first. In show terms, the first book, although a GREAT read, might come across as a sleeper on TV.

2. Tracy Spare says:

Oh my!! That is just about the best news this year……….I have loved and reread these books many times. Please be careful and do these stories justice!!

3. alex morris says:

I grew up reading these books because of my brother. He introduced me to shea and flick. I just hope that’s does justice to the wordings that terry has given us. Keep it real brooks, no corner cutting.

4. Adele says:

Please, please do the books justice. Terry deserves that much for inspiring generations to read. Love these books and have nieces and nephews of 13 wanting to read them also.

5. chris upton says:

Post Game Of Thrones I’m wondering how dated Shannara might appear. Absolutely adored the books as a child though.

6. Tori says:

Here is what I need to know.

When? When can I see this. I am not known for my incredible patience.

7. Adam F says:

Wishsong is the 3rd book. Elfstones is the Second,

8. Colette says:

Why the second book? Why not the first?

• Andy says:

The first book, frankly, is very similar in outline to the Lord of the Rings. People would criticize the parallels.

9. Michael Hall says:

I am 58 years Old, and a Huge Shannara Fan have read every book so please just remember me and other older fans of the Shannara Series…good move starting with the second book “Wish song of Shannara” ,because the first Book Sword of Shannara ending was a little soft !

10. Blonde, blue-eyed Jesus says:

Will this be one hour or half hour episodes? It says director will helm first two hours but I just want to make sure, as MTV has not done one hour scripted before (that I’m aware of). Thankee.

• Christian says:

You must be living under a rock. MTV has Teen Wolf, which is currently in its 4th season, and they premiered an hr drama this week about a girl who discovers she was kidnapped as a baby that debuted to good ratings.

• Blonde, blue-eyed Jesus says:

Okay, my bad, I just crawled out from under my rock. So Shannara…30 or 60 mins?