Ryan Murphy Reveals ‘American Horror Story’ Fourth Season Subtitle

Last week, fans found out that “American Horror Story’s” fourth season would be set at a carnival, but now they have an official subtitle to attribute to that theme: “Freak Show.”

Creator Ryan Murphy broke the news Monday via Twitter with a picture of the title in a fun font:

According to Entertainment Weekly, this season will be set in 1950s Jupiter, Florida. Jessica Lange will return to play a German expat running one of nation’s last freak shows.

Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Angela Bassett and Frances Conroy are among the series regulars who will step back into the “American Horror Story” universe to play Lange’s freak show performers. Denis O’Hare and Emma Roberts are also reportedly in talks to return.

1. Kathy Bates was INCREDIBLE in Coven! I Loved it! All Halloween night I thought “Look at the little beggar children looking for candy”

2. kevin k says:

And if people are gonna talk shit about Emma roberts at least learn how to spell first

3. Vikki says:

Sincerely hoping there are no traditional clowns in this :( I am absolutely terrified of them and I adore the American Horror Series, so if there are any, then I won’t be able to watch it :( Here’s to wishful thinking :/

4. kevin k says:

um Emma Roberts rocked it on coven and i think she played that role n had fun with it and it added a completely different tone to the show. Her coming back isnt just a good idea it is a good move because she is dope. Loved her ever since scream 4 lol she plays the rich bitch psycho perfectly nd id love to see her in another type of role in freakshow

5. louise says:

I have just watched series 2 loving it cant wait for 3 and 4.

6. Debbie says:

iv just started watching it in loved it couldn’t turn it of , thanks

7. Keith Seigle says:

Ryan Murphy should and probably has drawn inspiration from Joan Crawford’s film “Berserk” 1968 or “circus of blood ” as it was known in England where it was filmed. Incredibly campy , and for the time pretty gory I’m sure we”ll also see some glimpses of 1932’s film “Freaks ” we already did in the second season . Hopefully it will be better than this last season though , the 2nd season was the best Imo

8. M0llyM0M0 says:

YES! Loved Emma Roberts! She played the spoiled brat part amazingly. Hope she comes back. I hated her character in Coven, which was the point, and it seems like some people don’t realize that. I was interested in her character, always wondering what she was gonna do next.

9. oh my god yes!! I wish Jamie Brewer was in it tho :( she is the best inmy eyes <3

10. Kristen says:

Can’t wait!!! I hope they bring back Naomi Grossman (Pepper) from American Horror Story: Asylum. I loved her.

11. JustMe says:

PLEASE don’t bring back Emma Roberts! She was/is a horrible acress!

12. Grace says:

What about Lily Rabe?

13. Deano says:

Fantastic! I cant wait! When is it due to come back on in the UK? Love the Fact that Jessica Lange is to be in next one.She is a great actress and always plays her role well.Emma roberts I liked to. Infact they were all great and was nice to see Kathy Bates and Angela basset aswell. Lets hope Freak Show is as good as the rest!

14. charlene says:

Great, nothing scarier than clowns and freaks!

15. Henry says:

Boo. The idea of a “Carnival” isn’t entertaining to me for “American Horror Story.”

16. Sam Schmidt says:

I feel precious needs to be in this one too, she went ham in coven! And cant wait to hear jessica’s german accent. shes great at studying up on roles. and yes aidan THERE WILL BE CLOWNS. shit there’ll probably be clowns in the opening.

17. I would LOVE to audition for this show! as much as I hate clowns I love american horror story and I think it would be so much fun to be apart of it. Can’t wait for the fourth season to air!

18. Aidan Tozer says:

Just what I needed, a freak show in my home state. *shudder* at least there aren’t any clowns, right? RIGHT?!

19. Lori Thompson, Realtor says:

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help anyone while in Jupiter. It is my hometown and I can help with living arrangements / rentals/purchases and also the local best places for restaurants/entertainment. My brother in law, Tommy Thompson, is/was a writer/producer in LA for many shows (Quantum Leap/ Dead zone, and several more thru the years. You can reach me via email or my cell 561-310-5187
    Thank you for your consideration. Best regards,
    Lori Thompson, Realtor
    Jupiter Florida

20. Lindsey says:

The last season ended HORRIBLY. If this one sucks, I’m quitting this show…and please give Jessica Lange a different role other than matriarch! I’m sure she has the talent to do different parts. And…please. Please give us a strong male character for once.

21. @udrey says:

I love Taissa Farmiga and hope she makes it into this one. She always adds something really genuine to this show. Emma Roberts acting is flat and cold.

22. ALLY says:

QUINTO PLEASEEEEEE

23. Bring back Gabby Sidibe, Zachary Quinto, and Lily Rabe..ditch Emma Roberts..she’s just not a good fit for this show.

24. Jacob Allee says:

Bring back Quinto please!!!!

25. patric2013 says:

“One of Us, One of Us, One of Us”

26. Timmy says:

Jessica Lange, the brilliant actor she is, has run her course on this show. Please find some new blood!

• Ethan says:

This is her last season. Her and Ryan Murphy have said so many times. They even said her role wasn’t going to be as big this year as it has been. So my guess is although she’s running the freak show, it’ll focus more on the performers (YAY Evan Peters and Sara Paulson)

27. cody warlock says:

No Emma Roberts PLEASE! She ruined last season

28. LOVE this idea Ryan. So excited that you’ve added your talents to the American Horror Story Genre. Also a major fan of “Glee” & “The Glee Project”. TY for all that you add to the entertainment industry. I am a major fan of your work!!! :-)

29. jhs39 says:

Can’t wait. Last season really made up for season 2, which sucked.

• Jacob Allee says:

Season two was amazing Quinto won awards for Bloody Face!!!!

• I LOVED season two! I’m a Lesbian and it hit home for me. It’s not for everyone, maybe it isn’t for you, but it did show a very REAL and very TRUE side of psychiatric care in the 1960’s and they really did try aversion therapy to “Cure” homosexuality. It didn’t work, but it was one hell of a history less in what we have gone through. The teacher risking losing her job if her love life comes out, and the fact that it was considered a mental illness was all too real. Bloody face was an excellent addition and I Loved everything about it! Mental hospitals are horrifying as it is. In my opinion, the only questionable part were the aliens, but I will take it for such an excellent show!

30. Bingo says:

Please end talks with Emma Roberts. kthxbye.

31. Kristen says:

BRING BACK GABOUREY SIDIBE PLEASE!!!!!!

32. I am not certain where you’re getting your information,
    but great topic. I must spend some time finding out more or understanding more.

Thank you for fantastic information I used to be looking for this info for my mission.