‘Rectify’ Renewed for Season 3 by SundanceTV

Rectify Season 3

SundanceTV has renewed “Rectify” for season three, the cabler announced Tuesday. An official episode order has yet to be announced, but season one spanned six episodes, while the currently-airing season two was expanded to 10 installments. The third season will debut in 2015.

” ‘Rectify’ has evolved into a show much loved by critics and fans. As SundanceTV’s first scripted series, it’s gratifying to see such distinctive and unusual storytelling embraced with such passion. Ray McKinnon is a true television auteur, and we can’t wait to see where he takes us next,” said Sarah Barnett, SundanceTV president.

“Rectify” is created and written by McKinnon, and executive produced by Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein. The series stars Aden Young, Abigail Spencer, J. Smith Cameron, Luke Kirby, Clayne Crawford, Adelaide Clemens and Jake Austin Walker.

The show tells the story of Daniel Holden (Young) who is released after serving nearly 20 years in isolation on death row, as he returns as an outsider to his family, to his community, and to the times. Somehow, he survived the mental and emotional strain of his imprisonment, but now the walls have suddenly come crumbling down and Daniel is set free in a world he no longer understands. Daniel’s presence not only throws his family into disarray, it ripples out to all the people connected to his case – the prosecutor who rode the notoriety to become a state senator, the sheriff who pushed the boundaries of the investigation, and the entire town of Paulie, GA, that blamed him for killing one of their own. Daniel’s release reignites the mystery, the power plays, and the questionable justice that condemned him.

“Rectify’s” season two finale will air on Thursday, Aug. 21 at 9 p.m. on SundanceTV.

1. Lynne Magee says:

One of the best American productions that we have watched. We are devotees of British series but this one caught our attention on Netflix and we loved it. Looking forward to season three.

2. Kathleen says:

One of the very best series…writing, story, cast,,,hurry up and get season 3 on Netflix!!

3. Beth says:

I love the series, Rectify. The actors are great. Can’t wait until next season…

4. without a doubt the truest to the way families really are. This is the best show on television. There has been a a big interest in the show since the beginning, and now fans are talking on Facebook. Please keep it on the air. Love it

5. Tammy Cauley says:

Why do I find Daniel so incredibly sexy in a weird kinda way? lol

6. Tammy Cauley says:

When will Season 3 start?? Really interested in this series!!! Best drama I’ve seen in a while now..

7. David Haas says:

Ready to see what happens on Rectify, it’s been gone whay too long

8. Daniel Holden is played perfectly…. Difficult character to pull off. It’s amazed that after confessing twice, we really don’t know if he did it or not. It is STILL a mystery. And a very interesting one! Excellent job to ALL the actors. It is really a wonderful program, I am so happy I discovered it.

9. Tim long says:

Talk about stretching a “two season” drama into 3 …..or maybe 4. This is it! Could easily have and should have ended last season. That way the actors go in & do something else…like act in better drama TV programs. Ha, ha.

10. James says:

Thank you so much for continuing Rectify. This is, in my opinion, the best written (as well as played) TV series I have seen in many years of watching. The writers are drawing a beautiful picture of human behavior and human dilemmas. This is so well done that if I write any more words I will be gushing. Daniel would not think well of that, not over a video. Please tell me what I need to buy to keep them coming.

11. alix says:

I think this show is a masterpiece, a work of art on every level. Only one thing bothers me and love to know what you all think…Ted and Janet live in a nice but modest house. Ted and Teddy run the tire store, but that one business supports Ted, Janet, Jared, Amantha most of the time, Teddy and Tawney. Here is my question… how did Teddy and Tawney who appear to be in their early twenties get such a large, beautifully furnished home with firepit and all? Tawney doesn’t even work! I will have to assume her grandpa died and left her at least half a mil ! Because Ted’ s family is clearly struggling. It just seems like such a flaw in the screenplay ! Comments?

12. Daniel really captures the “flat affect” of a deeply conflicted person…is what people do when they are broken and would rather stay broken than face the uncertainty of fighting for their own lives, knowing their own freedom hinges on others’ pain, others’ exposure. In the end we must live for ourselves if we want to be of any help to others, even if it hurts them at first. Be true to yourself, then you can help others be true to theirself. Which is all of ourself. I liked the way the Daniel character’s strength shows beneath his surface pain – he thinks before he answers, he doesn’t say the first thing that pops into his head but takes time apparently without feeling compromised by others’ need to have an immediate conclusion. He sorts through his thoughts and doesn’t feel he has to say the first thing that comes into his head. Many think the fast answer means fast thinking, which means intelligence. On the contrary.

13. Cannot wait for Season 3. This is such a diverse show. It goes in so many directions. Acting by all, is phenomenal.
    Please hurry with Season 3.

14. Brian says:

People, you can’t have a dramatic finally scene in which the evil prosecuter blabs freely and the defense attorney sits vacant in the back round. This was the farthest thing from a proceeding in a fantasy or realistic setting. Even the DA sat there with her forehead gleaned back saying zip. pretty bad. Then again the show feels as convoluted as Lost at this point. And on the plus side it did have an artistic ideal shining through. That’s the prise for this type of bravery, you loose the ink which becomes disipated in a lake of darkness, draining the drama.

• Susan Jhirad says:

Rectify was one of the best written and acted series on television. It manages to be both psychologically believable and suspenseful, something that cannot be said for many or most t.v. series, such as the award-winning “The Affair,” which made absolutely no psychological sense at all. I cannot comment on the legal realities, but the prison scenes felt real and moving. I look forward to the next season.

15. Patti says:

Oh my word…I just finished watching season two and then…nothing! What a shock!!!I had not idea it was going to end so abruptly. I went straight to the computer to find out what was going on. You just cannot leave your audience earning for the answer to all the questions this gripping story has created. There has to be at the very least a feeling of completion for the characters and your audience. Otherwise, it will be like reading and enjoying an entire book immeasurable only to find out that the last chapter has been ripped out. I have especially appreciated that the writers of this excellent story have not seen the need to be to explicit or vulgar. But have kept the story real and honest. Which has only enhanced this meaningful story. A week is too long to wait for the next episodes to start again. So hurray up…we are all impatiently waiting.

• Jack says:

I too absolutely love this story. Sometimes I feel like I am Daniel. However, no one has mentioned what the young boy saw when he was swinging out of the tree over the creek. You know it was George’s body!

16. Kim says:

I’m sooo excited. I just finished season 2 on Netflix and cannot wait to see where this goes next season. I have always loved watching Sundance films and was tickled to see a series on Netflix that I could grit my teeth into. The writers and actors are truly amazing. My emotions have run the gamut from tears of joy to sorrow to anger and understanding. I love the family dynamics (not to mention the town!) and Daniel has captured my heart in particular. Keep it coming!

17. Karen kremer says:

I love this series and can’t get enough.
    Aden young is fantastic in this and I will be glued to the television as long as its on.I’ve always watched Sundance but rectify has been a real gift. Please keep on writing .

Karen kremer

18. This is absolutely the best series I have ever seen. I am so glad there is a season 3 scheduled. That you Sindance

19. Carol says:

I have tried to find the ending to this movie to no avail. How does it end???

20. Susan Maddeford says:

I have read about the renewal of Rectify for season 3, but when will it air?? Many people are awaiting it’s arrival date. Thanks & hope to hear soon!

21. Julie woods says:

Hurry! Cannot wait. Best series ever. Nobody knows about it. Whyyyy?

22. Stan Shrivier says:

The scenes between Danial are so tender and moving I hope that they remain that way and not cumlinate in a sexual liason.

What distinguishes the series is that the characters are human. No one is a saint and no one is a complete villain, even Senator Foulkes (is he a state or US senator).

23. Sonyia Helstrom says:

So excited there is a season 3. I have watch it on sundance since it started. Love Love it.

• Bunny says:

Season 3 apparently was released on March 25, 2015 when and where can I watch it? I absolutely am hooked!! Bunny

24. Val says:

Just finished watching season 2 on Netflix. Sure left us up in the air!!!! Love the show. Great acting, great writing. A superlative drama. We are used to the great dramas coming from England , this is an American treat!

25. lauma collins says:

there are so few series on tv today worth a moment’s thought. rectify, with its superb cast and top notch writing staff stands out in a vast sea of mediocrity to bring quality dramatic programming back (and without having to calling on bbc to do it, either) i eagerly await the new year for season 3 of rectify to air. keep up the good work!

26. nilgun says:

oleeeeeeeeeeeeeyy

27. Mechelle says:

Please let’s have more of rectify!!! I am huge fan of Daniel’s character!! Aden has done well with mystery with innocence. So let’s keep going till he’s found innocent!

28. Chris Thomas says:

Rectify is beautifully written, acted and filmed. It is haunting, patient and riveting. Thank you Sundance! And, thank you for renewing another season of this truly exquisite television experience.

29. Lynn Pounian says:

Yes! Magnificent storytelling, superlative acting/directing/music makes for a show that stays with you long after you watch.

• Scott Leonard says:

What a fantastic and unexpected surprise this series has turned out to be! Between his portrayal of Reverend Smith on Deadwood and his creation and writing of Rectify, Ray MacKinnon has me convinced he’s an artistic genius!