‘Outlander’ Renewed for Season 2 on Starz

caitriona balfe, sam heughan

Starz’s “Outlander” has been renewed for season 2, the premium cabler announced Friday.

The second season will comprise at least 13 episodes and will be based on “Dragonfly in Amber,” the second novel in Diana Gabaldon’s sweeping, eight-book historical series.

The freshman drama has aired one episode out of its initial 16-episode order so far, with Saturday’s premiere garnering over 5 million views thanks to a multiplatform rollout.

“The overwhelming support ‘Outlander’ has received from the fans, viewers and critics made the decision for us to go ahead with the second book a very easy one. Diana Gabaldon has given us years of great drama. With an incredible artist such as Ronald D. Moore at the helm and a cast as spectacular as this, we look forward to continue this spell-binding journey with Claire, Jamie, Frank, Brianna, Roger and everybody over the centuries,” said Starz CEO Chris Albrecht in a statement.

SEE ALSO: Starz’s “Outlander” Woos Women with Strong Female Protagonist

Creator Ron Moore said, “I’m thrilled at the prospect of doing another season of this show for Starz. This project has been a labor of love from the very beginning and it’s incredibly gratifying to see it succeed with viewers and critics alike.”

“Fans of the ‘Outlander’ books have waited a long time to see this incredible story brought to life on screen, and Ron and his team have delivered a show that exceeds expectations,” said Zack Van Amburg, president of programming for Sony Pictures Television. “We look forward to our continued partnership with Starz to present the next chapter of this epic tale to longtime fans and viewers who are just discovering the series.”

“Outlander” was developed for television by Moore, who serves as executive producer for the series alongside Jim Kohlberg. “Outlander” is produced by Tall Ship Productions, Story Mining and Supply Co. and Left Bank Pictures in association with Sony Pictures Television. Starz will retain all domestic multiplatform pay TV rights to the original series.

“Outlander” airs Saturdays at 9 p.m. on Starz.

SEE ALSO: “Outlander” Producer Ron Moore on Adapting the Bestseller for Starz, Dispelling “Game of Thrones” Comparisons

1. debbie gilbert says:

still dont know when it will be coming back on.. been waiting for it seems like forever..

2. C. Davidson says:

Rena, sure you have the RIGHT to Troll as much as you like, but we have the right not to want to see it or to rebuff your short sighted and seemingly vindictive review. What? Did you have a crush on Ronald Moore and he spurned you? Good grief! Sounds more like a child pitching a fit over not getting their way than a credible review. Relax, have a glass of wine, snuggle up next to your sweetheart and chill.

Now with that out of the way…When IS the 2nd season starting??

I love the series. Yes, I wish that folks would stop mucking with the story. The books are bestsellers for a REASON. PLEASE don’t change the story. If it “ain’t broke, don’t fix it” but I think they just can’t resist thinking that they can tell a story better than the author of the books. Still, the series as a whole has been wonderful. More please, and thank you!

• Rena Moretti says:

Happening not to have the same opinion as you is not ‘trolling”…

You seem to think this is a “fans only” board. It isn’t!

On the other hand, making demeaning comments intent on suppressing voices you don’t like IS bullying, and that’s what you appear to be trying to do.

So I’ll say it again: Ronald D. Moore continues to make flop after flop, yet continues to be hired by his Hollywood buddies, in the process, helping the demise of what used ot be a great industry.

That’s why I don’t like him (or rather his work).

And all the bullying in the world won’t make Outlander a hit.

3. kell says:

Rena MOretti – WE GET IT. YOU DON’T LIKE IT. Now go watch your old Hee Haw reruns and take a hike. Anyway, I want to know when its coming back in 2015 and I don’t mean April. Is it coming back this year or 2016? Anyone know? Rena – and other fake reviewers – don’t give a crap what you think.

• Rena Moretti says:

Sorry but no sale. :)

I have every tight to call Ronald D. Moore’s flops for what they are: flops.

Ronald D. Moore has built a career out of empty PR. It’s sad for viewers and for Hollywood as he has been a force behind the Fall of the US TV industry.

It’s high time he was called on it.

4. Marybet Kyle says:

I am obsessed with the series and the books. The actors are fantastic and make the story come to life. Mr. Moore has done an amazing job bringing this story to TV and the little changes from the book have actually improved the story. I hope the series continues!

5. Susie Robertson says:

This season of outlander has been a total disappointment. The first season was so good and this season sucks. It makes me think the writers have gotten very lazy or have lost their imaginations. I do not recommend season 2 to anybody.

6. nany says:

can’t wait , i love this show

7. Yennit says:

Awesome tv series , I love this show. Hurry and come back already
    Can’t wait

8. Rena Moretti says:

NativeAmerican: as bullying and assorted name calling doesn’t work on me, here’s for you:

Ronald D. Moore is a very bad writer, a horrifyingly bad producer (he seems to think video looks like film and shaking the camera is tantamount to directing…) and his productions are greeted by a massive yawn by the general public… :)

9. Milly says:

love the Outlander show. look forward to the next episode. Scotland country is breathtaking.

• Rena Moretti says:

Funnily, what takes me breath away is always how bad those Ron Moore-produced scripts can be. ;)

• NativeAmerican says:

Funny, what takes my breath away is the fact that some people think they are humorous, when really they’re just a bore.

10. Stephanie says:

Would love to leave a review if only we could watch it 😢
    UKTVNeedsOutlander

11. Rena Moretti says:

So once again a cable channel renews a flop – 0.78 million viewers for the “big” premiere – on the theory that renewing a show before it has played will get people to watch it.

It of course fails again and again (the only way it would possibly work is if they spent tens of millions to relaunch it ala last season of Breaking Bad) but let’s do it anyway.

What a crying shame more money will be wasted of such a commercial failure.

12. Lu Heaney says:

Fantastic! I can’t wait to see how STARZ pulls off the second book! Dragonfly in Amber is my next favorite of the series to Outlander. I too have been reading the book series since they first came out and remember waiting for DIA to come out in hardback (I couldn’t wait for softback ;)). The series, so far, has been a wonderful adaptation. Hurrah!

13. Audrey Blanchard says:

I absolutely love Outlander, I have been reading the books since 1992 and have come to feel like the characters are friends. When I first started watching the first episode, I felt like I was seeing friends that I hadn’t seen in a long time. I became quite emotional, which surprised me. The only thing, I was disappointed about was the character that plays Duncan. He does not match the description in the book. He has flowing dark hair and is very handsome. That is not what the actor who is playing him is, he is balled and not that good looking.

• Lu Heaney says:

Indeed, I imagined Dougal a tad bit younger, not much, and with very dark hair. But Graham McTavish plays the character well in all other aspects.

• chtease says:

It sounds like you are referring to Graham McTavish who plays Dougal. Graham is a great actor, well respected by his peers, very handsome and has the skill to fully embody Dougal. It’s a tough role and we’re lucky to have him.

• Amy says:

I must also say that Graham McTavish is a wonderful actor, and he has perfectly embodied the spirit of Dougal MacKenzie. I could not care less that he is *bald*, he is nonetheless an extremely handsome man, not to mention he has the necessary commanding presence one would expect of Dougal. We are incredibly lucky to have Graham, as well as Caitriona, Sam, and Tobias… every part has been so perfectly cast, I couldn’t be happier with each and every one of the actors. And the costumes, the music, EVERY detail is so good, it is mind-blowing. My infinite gratitude goes to Ron Moore and every person responsible for making this beautiful show. Hooray for a second season, congrats to you all! Let’s keep it going for all of the books, PLEASE.
        Of course, I can’t help but also thank Diana Gabaldon for her brilliant words that made all of this possible, and for giving us the best reading material for the last 23 years.

14. Char says:

Great news except that DIA needs more than 13 episodes. Do I hear 16? How about 18? :-)

15. Christiane says:

YESSSSS ! Wonderful news !! Made my Sunday !! Can I hope some scenes of season 2 will be filmed in Paris…Versailles…? Some French Outlander fans are so thrilled !! <3 <3

• Rena Moretti says:

Amazing how Ronald D. Moore always gets the street team going. Reading this thread and you get the impression of a show beloved by millions, except it’s really not. It’s a Ron Moore show (thus awful) with microscopic ratings you have to find with a magnifying glass at the bottom of a ratings list.

Sadly, that’s what makes a producer “successful” these days in the minds of Hollywood executives.

In the absence of commercial success executives look for hype (hence the ridiculous statement by Starz that it’s renewing this show in part because it had Twitter activity – who cares?!!!)

• Rena Moretti says:

Nancy, never met the man. My dislike of him comes from having tries to watch his bad TV shows and seeing the endless self-promotion he indulges in (if only he spent that time learning to write…)

In full disclosure, I also found his slef-promotion at the expense of the other writers on Star Trek TNG quite untasteful.

As for Starz, I just bemoan the waste of money that should have gone to better producers and their rigid adherence to a PR line (“look, it must be great if we renewed it right away!”) that never works.

• Nancy Bostelman says:

Wondering if you were fired by Ron Moore or Starz Rena…comments sound a tad bitter :) Anyway,this is great news! Loved the books and the first episode was great.

16. LouiseW says:

Very pleased. Tobias Menzies is incredible in the duel role of Black Jack and Frank. Acting masterclass from him.

• Lucille H says:

I have read all 8 books and loved them. I think the producers and directors did an excellent job in keeping with the books, seldom do movies do the books justice for example (50 shades of Grey) which was terrible, but Outlanders does, the stars are all outstanding and believeable I bought the first episode and will buy every one that is for sale.