‘Orange is the New Black’ Actress Seriously Injured, Stars Ask for Donations

'Orange is the New Black' Actress

Michelle Hurst, who plays the intimidating Miss Claudette on Netflix hit “Orange is the New Black,” awoke from a coma Thursday morning and is recovering from serious injuries from a car accident, according to a fundraising page set up in her name.

Hurst was in a car accident just before the holidays and was placed under a 16-day medically-induced coma so doctors could perform surgeries close to her spine. She remains in the ICU at UNC Chapel Hill Hospital in North Carolina, and a fundraising page has opened to raise money for her medical bills and time taken off of work, according to the page.

Author of the memoir on which the series is based Piper Kerman tweeted the link Thursday morning.

The link was also retweeted by show star Natasha Lyonne, who plays Nicky Nichols.

So far, $4,406 has been raised out of the $5,000 goal. Donations are being handled by Hurst’s sister. Season 2 of “Orange is the New Black” is expected to hit Netflix in mid-2014. Netflix did not immediately comment on her status on the show.

1. MaryBeth says:

It really doesn’t matter what everyone else does. If this is true …and she is medically in this condition we all know the costs are high. Difficult for anyone to pay in this day and age. If this is true…and so far I have not heard that it isn’t and she is truly in this coma and needs financial help. Well then…I think we all would better spend our time reaching into our pockets to help rather than discuss whose responsibility it is! Prayers for her! Hugs and Smiles

2. Paul Christopher says:

What are the producers of the show doing? Trying to find out who’s “hot” right now and replace Ms Hurst to lower their downside risk and maintain their demographics’ correlational coefficients? Why did it fall upon the cast to take upon their shoulders to take the wonderfully humane – and dignified – action to get a fundraiser page going?. Agree, too, with Margarete’s assessment of “me,me,me” – that goes for producers as well as the below-the-line / rank-and-file folks.

• Kelsey says:

Producers are human beings. I’m going to assume that you have absolutely no idea whether or not they’re doing anything. They very well could be. They very well could have provided some of the donations. Why are you criticising the producers and not Variety for insinuating that they ASKED NETFLIX ABOUT HER STATUS ON THE SHOW. THAT is the real disgusting move here.

3. Margarete says:

I hope she recovers and the money is raised. However, doesn’t she have insurance under SAG/AFTRA? She should have qualified by now… Unless of course she and the show are non-union. BTW to the “hater” who commented earlier, the Affordable Care Act (Obama care) provided me with insurance…which for several years prior I didn’t have because I didn’t make enough money in SAG/AFTRA to qualify for their plan. We must all take care of one and other and stop this “me” “me” “me” attitude. Best wishes for her speedy and complete recovery.

4. Sam says:

I find it incredibly odd that no one has 5,000 dollars

5. Michael Anthony says:

Nanny Mo: your a poor excuse for a human being when on an article about someone seriously ill, you make a political statement. There’s a time for that and this isn’t the place.

6. Yeah, ’cause I’m sure you would’ve been first in line to donate.

7. Smooth says:

Get lost

8. Mitch says:

this is a disgrace an actor who just played a great role in a acclaimed new hollywood movie and can’t pay for medical bills. where her studio and other actors SAG and all. The rest of us poor shmos don’t have anyone. Let hollywood help there own

• Michael Anthony says:

Perhaps she doesn’t have SAG. You just can’t get it, you have to meet certain conditions.
      Regardless, insurance doesn’t pay all. Care to guess how much 3 weeks in a coma costs? Plus the long rehab ahead? Probably well into the 7 figures. Only the upper tier stars make that kind of money. And unless you can afford it, you have no business complaining.

• Debbie Valenta says:

I find it highly unlikely that she doesn’t have SAG insurance, but those medical bills are piling up even if she does.

• big daddy D says:

that’s why I’m glad I live in Canada. I suffered a stroke in the 2012, and I was in the hospital for a month.. And then rehab for about 10 months after. I’m lucky that I didn’t have to pay any ridiculous amount of money for health insurance… any amount, for that matter. Proud to be Canadian. we may pay more in taxes, but it’s worth it.