No Second Season for ABC’s ‘Once Upon a Time in Wonderland’

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland

The original is still doing pretty well for ABC, but spinoff “Once Upon a Time in Wonderland” won’t be returning to the network next season, the Alphabet confirmed Friday.

“Wonderland,” whose 13th and final episode of its rookie season will air next week, has struggled in the ratings in a Thursday-at-8 hour that has proven difficult for ABC to solve. Last night’s episode did a 0.9 rating/3 share in adults 18-49 and 3.3 million total viewers.

The ABC Studios series was based on the Lewis Carroll novel “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.”

ABC plans to air a special “Shark Tank” in the hour on April 10, and will follow that with encores of “Grey’s Anatomy” for the duration of the television season,

1. tricia says:

Not cool this was my favorite show please bring it back

2. Mel Roel says:

Thats crap theu need to a second season where jafar returns and somehow kidnaps alices daughter and have characters from jack and the beanstalk, humpy dumpty that sort of thing. That show is our family time….that and once upon a time. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

3. Jane says:

That’s right it was one of my favorite shows on tv, i will not be watching anything else, hope they decide to bring back Alice,

4. mmd says:

So So sad I loved this show!!!!!!!!

5. mad says:

I didn’t even know this existed until now…… lol

6. Elaine McLellan says:

While “Once Upon a Time in Wonderland” had an interesting premise of merging the Lewis Carroll books and the “Arabian Nights” the characters of Jafar and genies just didn’t work. There are other characters such as Sinbad who might have worked better. The original adventures of Alice has many interesting characters such as the Duchess, the Gryphon, the Talking Flowers, etc. and the writers could have further developed them and then lead into the Arabian Nights.
    One of the problems is that the writers are relying too much on Disney film versions versions of fairy tale characters. In other words the writers ought to have gone back to original sources for their material and just tell Disney “to stuff it”.
    Another problem is that ABC had this show on hiatus for a few months and that is the fault of the ABC person responsible for programming and scheduling. This individual could learn a few things from the other networks.
    Just as the series is getting interesting it is cancelled. So now we are going to get endless reruns of reruns which will further alienate viewers.

7. wynne toma says:

This is a big disappointment for me as a fan :(
    All the shows I love and really get into keep getting canceled and that’s rediculous. I agree with ally.

8. Ally says:

Wow that sucks maybe if they left the show on the original channle it was on maybe more ppl would watch it

• Elaine McLellan says:

Going on such an extended hiatus certainly didn’t help either. The “Sleepy Hollow” folks were smart- they aired the entire number of episodes without any extended breaks.

9. Princess Toria says:

i love both series and i want or DEMAND A SECOND ONCE UPON A TIME IN WONDERLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. katharine says:

I really like both series, even though I actually love he original once…, but all they had to do was do something different with the story..i liked the idea that the genies’s mom was the staff and he finds out shes still alive after all this time. if they line this show up to directly correspond with the other it would excite everyone.don’t just take it off there is plenty of opportunity

11. katharine says:

i liked it . Mostly the knave, he was funny and smart. I also got a enthused when I realized, even though they didn’t say that Anastasia was one of Cinderella’s stepsisters

12. AtariBaby says:

DVR’d it but couldn’t even get up the enthusiasm to watch it once. This genre was already done to death, with little to show for it. I’m kind of surprised it ever got made.

13. lisa says:

Yes, I agree, putting this show right after ‘once upon a time’ might be better. I wish you would not have canceled it. Its now getting exciting and need to give me a little more time. I will miss the characters and hope you put them on ‘once upon a time’. they will fit right in.

14. I should be in charge of programming. Obviously, these network geniuses don’t have a clue.

15. Erin says:

NOOOOO WAYYYYY!!!
    YOU GUYS WILL GET HUGE RATINGS IF YOU SHOWED IT HERE IN AUSTRALIA!!!!!!

16. Anna says:

If this show gets canceled I’m officially done with ABC. I’m tired of all my shows getting canceled.

17. Ann says:

Maybe if they tried a different night it might have a chance.

18. des says:

It was interesting in the beginning but it has not really gone anywhere and I have found it boring lately…

19. Amber says:

I am very upset about this. I usually am not home when its on due to work. However I have it record on my DVR and watch it when I can. I will miss it. Thankfully I will still have the original once upon a time to watch which I also have to DVR it as well.

20. Jessica W says:

NOOOOOOOO don’t stop this show! Its not fair! I’ve watched every episode RELIGIOUSLY! You can’t take it off air!

21. Corriea says:

3/28/14 7:36p Variety Rick Kissell ” Once Upon a Time In Wonderland”
    ABC ripped off it’s own series ”Once Upon a Time” to air this half-baked DOA series. There was no reason to do this series whatsoever. Disney/ABC seem devoid of anything fresh or interesting. When will ABC realize that Serialized series are very hard to maintain, even when they cannot sustain themselves for 13 weeks, must less one season.

• Elaine McLellan says:

Part of the problem seems to be that the writers are using too many of Disney film characters instead of using the original sources. There are many ways that this series could have been developed and beginning with the Alice and Cyrus love story is not the best way. I’m surprised they didn’t throw in the Lion King.
      Tim Burton’s version of Alice while it did depart from the original story was interesting because of what he did with the characters.

22. cxg says:

Glad they are not running it into the ground like the original OUAT, which has run its course imho.