New Bill Cosby Rape Accuser Goes Public

Bill Cosby
Jemal Countess/Getty Images

Bill Cosby has been at the center of an escalating sexual assault controversy for the past few weeks, and on Sunday, another woman came forward with details of an alleged sexual assault at the hands of the actor.

Publicist Joan Tarshis penned an essay on Hollywood Elsewhere on Sunday, saying she was raped twice by Cosby when she was 19 years old and working with him in the fall of 1969.

Tarshis said she had flown to New York and met Cosby through mutual friends, who invited Tarshis to lunch with Cosby on the Universal lot. She wrote that Cosby invited her back a few times and was always generous with drinks — though never drank himself.

Tarshis goes on to detail her first alleged rape from Cosby, after he had asked her to stay one day after shooting and work on material in his bungalow.

“The next thing I remember was coming to on his couch while being undressed,” Tarshis writes. “Through the haze I thought I was being clever when I told him I had an infection and he would catch it and his wife would know he had sex with someone. But he just found another orifice to use. I was sickened by what was happening to me and shocked that this man I had idolized was now raping me. Of course I told no one.”

Tarshis says she felt she could not tell her mother what happened, as her mother saw the fact that she had worked with Cosby as a point of pride. Cosby apparently later called her and invited her to the Westbury Music Theater and Tarshis, saying she could not see a way out, went.

Tarshis writes that she went to Cosby’s hotel room, where the actor made her a drink, and when they went to the Westbury, there was no seat for her, so she stood at the back of the theater.

“But soon after, I remember feeling very, very stoned and asking his chauffeur to take me back to the car,” she writes. “I was having trouble standing up. The next thing I remember was waking up in his bed back at the Sherry, naked. I remember thinking ‘You old s–t, I guess you got me this time, but it’s the last time you’ll ever see me.’”

Tarshis did not reveal the account to anyone for 20 years.

Tarshis is only the latest to publicly accuse Cosby of sexual assault. Arizona woman Barbara Bowman penned an op-ed in the Washington Times on Thursday, detailing her struggle to get others to believe her story that she was drugged and raped by Cosby in the mid-1980s.

Earlier on Sunday, Cosby’s attorney, John P. Schmitt, issued a statement on the 77-year-old’s official website saying Cosby would not comment on the allegations.

“Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced,” the statement reads. “The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment.”

The allegations resurfaced in October, when Hannibal Buress brought them up during a stand-up bit and called Cosby a rapist on stage. Since then, Cosby’s past has been in the spotlight, and he recently canceled an appearance on “The Late Show With David Letterman” that was scheduled for Wednesday.

It’s not the first time Cosby has faced such allegations. In 2006, Cosby settled a civil suit with another woman who accused him of sexual assault, according to the Associated Press. She claimed in her filing that 13 more victims were ready to come forward, one of which was Bowman.

Despite the storm of negative press, a comedy series Cosby is working on with NBC and Sony has not changed its status, sources confirmed Saturday. Sources also confirmed Sunday that a Cosby special, “Bill Cosby 77,” is still set to stream on Netflix on Thanksgiving.

1. HANNIE says:

THESE WOMEN MUST HAVE WANTED A CAREER REALLY BAD..TO KEEP GOING BACK..I REALLY
    FIND IT HARD TO FEEL SORRY FOR THEM…GOING BACK OVER AND OVER..DRINKING , AND DRINKING ..THE SAME STUFF OVER AND OVER..WHOOPS RAPED AGAIN…!!!..GIVE ME A BREAK.
    DICKERSON MODEL TOLD HIM SHE WAS HAVING HER PERIOD AND SHE NEEDED A PILL FOR
    HER CRAMPS..THEN GOES TO THE HOTEL WITH HIM..THAT SHOULD BE A PRIVATE THING
    NOT TELL COSBY..I GUESS THAT WAS A BLOODY MESS..HUH?? M.MONROE TOLD HER
    BOYFRIEND..SHE WAS GONNA BE A HOLLYWOOD STAR IF SHE HAD TO F..EVEYONE IN
    HOLLYWOOD…I DO BELIEVE IF COSBY HAD GOTTEN THESE GIRLS A JOB.TV.MOVIE..YOU
    WOULD NEVER HAVE HEARD A WORD FROM ANY OF THEM…

2. daniel says:

If Bill did these things- Why put pills in someone’s drink and then show evidence after such as leaving someone naked? Either Bill is an amazing example of a Type 1 Sociopath OR he’s being set-up. If he is guilty- He would have obvious traits of a type 1 sociopath: charming and disarming, talented (he’s amazingly likeable,talented and funny), having a position of authority (he became a doctor), cheating on spouse (he cheated on his wife-which he admits and is fact, having their followers, clients, customers- think the world of them- while under the radar, having a small group of individuals they determined as meek, powerless, vulnerable, and weak to play with either by verbally abusing, using, taking advantage of, cheating on, etc. (preying on young girls who look up to you would be considered this). To reply to Robert Moyer’s comment below- I wondered about the copy cat stories too- as some are iffy….He did have a young girl suing him for millions claiming he was her father. However, the DNA didn’t match so she went to jail. This world is filled with people with traits of sociopathy. Most of us just want the TRUTH– not schemes and set-ups. This woman in an interview did seem to be authentic. It is tragic either way. Oh, how Bill Cosby has been such an incredible influence in my life. HE would have to be a Type 1 sociopath to have an image of a saintly man and being doing these things behind closed door. ALL young teenage girls should know the traits of Type 1 sociopaths and sociopaths. It will help prevent them form becoming victims. Young guys should too- more and more young men are becoming victims. In 2009, over 700,000 Americans went Missing! The #1 Reason: Human trafficking. #2- Domestic (husband/boyfriend) #3 Random. These individuals involved in most of the missing persons cases most likely are sociopaths… to traffic children, most likely you don’t have a conscience. Also- more men and boys are being taken now. And now our beloved Bill Cosby! It’s time to learn about sociopaths. Religious organizations usually don’t know enough about it to tell you- and therapists rarely tel you. We keep watching traits of them everywhere, never being informed of what we are actually witnessing in action.

3. Robert Moyer says:

All these money hungry liars think that now Dr. Cosby is not as active as he used to be, he; is a easy target for a payoff. No self respecting woman would wait all those years and copy cat the se story as the original accuser. Dr Cosby should not have paid her, it only open the flood gates for more people hoping for the same result, money to stop lying.

4. Li D says:

While I agree that rape victims often act in very different ways that baffle others, I am hoping this matter is closed soon. Having taught law in the past, the burden of proof is on those claiming that a crime was committed. If it did, indeed, occur, then I truly hope that justice is served and the guilty party is punished to the fullest extent of the law. If these events did not occur as alleged, then I hope that any slanderers are punished for the damage they have caused.

None of us were there and may never know exactly what happened. I hope all involved in these situations can heal and move forward.

5. realist says:

HMMMM!!!! Where in the hell is Al Sharpton, Jessee how ever you spell his name Jackson and the NAACP????? Here is a a guy that stands up and says all of the right things for trying to pull the downtrodden from the bellows of disgust and all of a sudden he is a target for the liberal establishment to take down. Just another example of this Nation being torn apart by the mafia ridden Obama administration and how it has nothing what so ever with what color anyone’s skin color is but what their political affiliation is while hiding behind their fake idealism of a racial bias that is drummed up by the liberal agenda in this country. If you don’t believe me then you are sorely misguided and I hope God will be lienient on your ignorance. Whoops!!! I brought God into this!!!! Sorry, I must be just another one of those bible thumper extremist’s that you folks try to discredit. Nope, just an average Joe blow that is tired of this crap and maybe it’s time to take up arms.

6. ladeeanne says:

Vee Price pull your head out of your proverbial arse. Some of them did report it and no one believed them. There is no way they can get money from Cosby now, and it’s too late to file any charges, so by them coming forward, it is most certainly not for any type of monetary benefit or to file charges.

• Nancy Parks says:

If it isnt true then Bill Cosby has a recourse. he can sue for slander. i dont care i loved the Cosby show but I believe he did this. Its just sad how we look over sexual abuse. I believe these women. Too bad he cant pay but he will die someday with a tarnished reputation which probably to him was worse than prison. Joining the likes of Roman Polanski and Woody Allen. Sick society

7. Vee Price says:

I don’t believe this rumor about Bill Cosby there nothing but lies they want money. if something happen like that why did they wait so long to tell it those women were grown ass women not babies if that had happen they should have report it when it took place why wait until now over 20 to 40 years to come up with this bull s*** It nothing but lies they see this older men and they see dollar sign.

8. Nicole says:

Why I don’t believe this crap because they tried to include another young lady, and she set them straight lied and said she had a lawyer she addressed it all and.said it was.rumors and she is not apart of that mess I wonder who M e. Cosby upset, because when you don’t do what people ask thwy find ways to try and.destroy. someone

9. Nicole says:

YOU SICK LYING DISGUSTING TRIFLING WOMEN WHY WAIT THIS LONG YOU COULD HAVE COME Out YEARS AGO YOU HAD PLENTY OPPORTUNITIES BEFORE NOW I BELIEVE YOU HAVE NOTHING SO YOU WANT MONEY HE PROBABLY WROTE YOU BUMS OFF WHEN YOU TRIED TO SLEEP WITH HIM

• Jerrad R says:

We’re talking about a serial rapist and the best you can do is SICK LYING DISGUSTING TRIFLING WOMEN? Why dear friend would you turn CAPS of and attack the woman? I have no doubt Cosby couldn’t have gotten in his room, that’s the easy part. Cleaning up afterward would have to be done carefully with at least a little knowledge of police work and I believe he has that knowledge.

We can’t know what she felt but scared, overwhelmed, ashamed, guilty all come into my mind. Big powerful comedian and basically a security who was raped not once but twice. Add an extra helping of shame and guilt and you can imagine how she felt at the time. Too bad there wasn’t more knowledge about DNA at that time.

Why do we have a limit on the statute of limitations of rape? That doesn’t sound right to me. If you did it then you’re guilty. Why can’t Cosby come up with phone records, room service order – something to show he was there and someone could day he was alone or not.

It’s sad all the way around.

10. LORD FORBID IF, BILL COSBY DONE ALL THAT TO HER,IN HIS HOTEL ROOM,REGARDLESS BUNGALOW OR NOT,SOMEONE WOULD HAVE SEEN HER GOING INTO HIS ROOM,SHE IS NOT BEING TRUE,BUT THE SCHOOL TEACHER USLASHING OUT AT HIM,IT MIGHT BE TRUE, BUT HE’S NIT EVEN TRYING TO DEFEND HUS SELF,HE’S JUST NONCHALANT LY BEING QUIET, WHY MR.COSBY REALLY WHAT ARE YOU KEEPING QUIET ABOUT,DEFEND YOURSELF MA,IF SOMEONE ACCUSE ME OF SOMETHING AND I KNOW IN MY HEART,MY SOUL,AND MY WELL BEING IF I DIDN’T DOIT IM NOT GOING TO SAY I DID!!! :-) :-) BILL DEFEND YOURSELF MAN!!!!

11. Anna says:

It feels like a beloved relative is being accused. I want to believe that Dr. Cosby didn’t do it. I have no idea how women are “supposed” to act after being raped, but yes, this makes one question why they would decide to go back out with their rapist. At the same time, I can’t bring myself to watch him perform without marked disgust. Why settle with one of the women? Why keep quiet and not defend yourself? How many similar stories need to come out?

12. anne says:

While I believe where there is smoke there is fire and Cosby is more then like guilty… I don’t get these girls, (women) knowing full well that Cosby drugged them and raped them, yet they went back again to visit him,,, alone AND take another of his spiked drinks! What? They were willing to take another chance on a rapist to what…further their careers? Go figure

• I think it was very different to be a woman in 1969, and the very fact that we can’t “get” why a woman would allow herself to be put in danger again is proof enough of that. Remember, this is pre-feminism America.

• nicole wells says:

There are things that happen to a woman when she is violated. Often they don’t see themselves as victims because they have to cope. It’s call dissociation. I have been a victim of sexual assault even at a young age and for years I held it in and continued to be around my abuser. There are so many distortions that begin to happen and you begin to believe that it really is your fault or that the abuser is really your friend. Perpetrators set up their victims for abuse by building a relationship or doing nice things for them. They gain their trust and that makes it harder to believe that what they are doing is wrong. Unless one has been a victim of sexual assault it’s something that’s hard to understand. After going through therapy and learning the truth, I now understand why many women don’t come forward, because often many times when they do, they are shamed and told they should have known better or that it was their fault. Sexual abuse is not the victims fault. Perpetrators know very well what they are doing.There is so much shame in sexual abuse and it damages the very core of a person’s being. I hope and pray that these women receive healing and deliverance of the violations inflicted on them by this man and that he turns his heart to the lord and seeks Him with repentance so that he does not die in his sins and be lost forever. I hope he at least takes some ownership and responsibility so that these women can receive healing and closure!

13. This is starting to remind me of the Woody Allen thing, in that people who aren’t in a position to know what happened are asserting that they know what happened.

• Dino71 says:

This is where I *meant* to post that reply, sorry.

Ben – in the case of Woody Allen, that works both ways though surely? Whether accusing or defending, if they weren’t there who can say for sure?

14. Buggin Out! says:

I’m sorry but I don’t buy this hogwash.
    If what she says is true, and not only did she not report it at the time, she went out with him on later dates, then there is too much room for doubt and we shouldn’t even be giving this story time.

Unlike Roman Polanski’s case where all the facts are proven, this is an opinion piece. Cosby can easily say; “I used to bone that chick all the time and she loved it.”

I don’t even see how this story is a case. You go out with a guy after he rapes you, lady, he didn’t rape you.

• Liam Nelson says:

Rape apologism is even more troubling than rape.

• Will Robey says:

That is an incredibly stupid statement: it like saying an explanation for a physical assault is more troubling than the actual injury to the victim. To whom exactly? Certainly not to the injured and traumatized person.

• Dee Doppleganger says:

Thanks for breaking that down Barney style, apparently you are the absolute expert as to how a rape victim should act if they want to be believed. Because it’s not as though people act in inexplicable or irrational ways after being attacked. I’ll make sure that the survivors I advocate for check with you if there are any questions about whether their assault was actual rape.