NBC Renews ‘The Night Shift’ for Second Season

Night Shift Renewed
Courtesy of NBC

NBC  has renewed its Sony Pictures TV drama series “The Night Shift” for a second season.

The Peacock has given the greenlight to 14 new episodes of the medical drama. “The Night Shift” opened in May to a solid 7.8 million, and became the third most-watched drama on NBC this season among total viewers, behind only “Blacklist” and “Chicago Fire.” It was number five in the 18-49 demo for NBC, behind “Blacklist,” “Chicago Fire,” “Law & Order: SVU” and “Chicago PD.”

Airing after “America’s Got Talent” on Tuesdays, it culled consistent ratings for NBC, becoming the number one new scripted series on network and cable this summer in ages 18-49. It also marks the most-watched summer drama for NBC in total viewers in 14 years, averaging 6.9 million viewing per episode. The 14-episode order has six more episodes than season one did.

The one-hour series comes from creators Gabe Sachs and Jeff Judah and centers on the medical staff of San Antonio Memorial Hospital who work the night shift. Eoin Macken, Jill Flint, Freddy Rodriguez, Daniella Alonso, Ken Leung, Robert Bailey Jr., Jeananne Goossen, JR Lemon, Brendan Fehr and Scott Wolf star in the ensemble cast.

The news of the renewal comes just a day after SPTV announced a big save: the greenlight of a sixth season of “Community” after it was canceled by NBC in May, with the cult sitcom moving to digital platform Yahoo Screen after an aggressive push from Sony.

1. YES! I am thrilled that this show is renewed. Keep it going!

2. john montgomery says:

I love the show I cant wait to it comes back love the cast their funny. thanks for a good show john in clrveland, ohio

3. Julie kaplan says:

Love the fact they are making at least some smart decisions- this show is awesome and even my 20 year old son who’s never home waits to watch it on TiVo – he’s very picky and loves this show – props to the people with brains for renewing

4. So excited to hear this show has been renewed. It is one of my favorite new shows. It is heartwarming and you really get involved into the characters. You have to watch the whole season and it comes together so great.

5. Mary Bravi says:

Very happy to hear it will be renewed, love the show, the reality of the show, thank you NBC

6. Jeff Johnson says:

Glad to learn “The Night Shift” has been renewed for a second season on NBC. I have lived in San Antonio all my life and it is a bit of a thrill to hear characters on a network TV series talking about locations and places I know about. I’m sure it will never have as long a TV life as “ER” had, but putting on another quality, hospital-set drama was a smart move by NBC.

7. I love this show, so glad it got renewed.

8. Dave and Janet Blank says:

We love the Night Shift show. We are glad to hear that it is coming back for a 2nd season.We like the characters and the stories. We also like the humor in it.

9. Jacque Belcher says:

I absolutely love the night shift show. I have not missed an episode since it aired in May. I certainly hope this show will continue for another season, hopefully in the fall. I have really enjoyed this series.

10. joanne king says:

i ready enjoy the night shift. i was glad their keeping it on for another season. thank you NBC.

11. May says:

Why do the doctors in ER not wearing any mask?

12. Meegah4 says:

Best drama on tv love the characters especially Tc sexy. Show has drama humor compassion, and romance. Glad it got renewed.

13. Syed Ali says:

i watch the show here in pakistan as well…..love the script of the play……bravo work……:)

14. bamiamtouBL says: