NBC Sets Midseason Schedule, ‘Marry Me,’ ‘About a Boy’ Benched

Marry Me and About a Boy

NBC is making a dramatic change to its midseason schedule. The net will launch a Thursday drama block, with “The Blacklist” anchoring the night in its new 9 p.m. slot beginning on Feb. 5, after an airing following the Super Bowl on Feb. 1.

“The Blacklist” will serve as a lead-in for new spy drama “Allegiance,” which will air at 10 p.m. starting on Feb. 5, with eight-episode event series “The Slap” taking the 8 p.m. slot beginning Feb. 12.

The Night Shift,” which originally aired on last summer’s schedule, will return to NBC on Monday, Feb. 23, following the season premiere of “The Voice.”

“The Super Bowl gives us a great opportunity on a promotional level to reset the table for midseason,” said NBC Entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt. “‘The Blacklist,’ which will premiere with a new episode on Super Bowl Sunday and then move to Thursday nights later that week, is a big priority. That will give us the chance to create a first-class night of drama with the addition of both ‘Allegiance’ at 10 p.m. and our 8 p.m. event series ‘The Slap,’ which has an incredible cast and is a terrific way to start the night.”

Dramas “A.D.” and “Odyssey” will bow on Easter Sunday, April 5, at 9 and 10 p.m., respectively.

Added NBC president Jennifer Salke, “On the comedy front, we have two strong multicam series with blue-chip producers that we are going to put behind ‘The Voice’ on Tuesdays in March — Bill Lawrence’s ‘Undateable,’ which was a nice success for us, and Ellen DeGeneres’ ‘One Big Happy.’”

NBC is putting comedies “Marry Me” and “About a Boy” on hold to launch the second season of “Undateable” and new comedy “One Big Happy” in the plum, post-“Voice” spot.

“Undateable” will air at 9 p.m. on Tuesdays beginning March 17, leading into the premiere of “One Big Happy” at 9:30.

Both “Marry Me” and “About a Boy” will return later in the season.

1. Ellen says:

I love “Marry Me” (although I wish there was more of Dan Bucatinsky and Tim Meadows). It’s a cute and funny show, the cast is totally great, and it should GET A CHANCE. And “Undateable”? I watched some of the episodes when it first was on; it’s dreadful and not at all funny.

2. patty emmendorfer says:

I really like Marry Me and it’s cast. Why do you pull good shows. Friends was a sleeper it’s first year and Marry Me has great wit and characters.

3. Zeke says:

Come on NBC. Marry Me is just getting funnier and funnier and the stories and cast are really jelling. They need to move to CBS where shows get a chance.

4. Jane seaman says:

I’m very disappointed in About a boy last episode! I already disapprove of sex out of marriage but to be so pen about setting up the sex made me puke!! Glorifying sex and you need to jump into bed after a first date. Are you kidding me????? Last time I watch that show.

5. Sharon says:

THIS is exactly why I am bothered so much about NBC!!! They are never satisfied with anything successful!! Lets see, move Blacklist because it’s doing great right where it is, and maybe it will pick things up in another questionable time slot. And!! To confuse things more…let’s change things up before we change things up by putting a new episode on Superbowl Sunday and start the next show on the following Thursday! For the DVR viewers…fat chance of trying to record The Blacklist after the Superbowl! I’ve never known a Superbowl to end on time so good luck setting your DVRs.

Let’s forget that the most popular show on television, The Big Bang Theory, is on Thursday night so we’re going to put another no-name show called The Slap, whatever that is, and we think we have a shot at it.

The Night Shift, while a great summer show, it’s questionable if it has the chops for a prime time slot in regular season play…after The Voice! Seriously NBC? I like the show, I’m not sure about here though. You go for it anyway because this is what you do.

Take off Marry Me and About a Boy? I enjoy both but I realize that About a Boy is down a bit, however, Marry Me is doing really well!! Oh, that’s right, if it does well, let’s move it or postpone it!! And because NBC does sooo well with comedies, let’s put a couple of more questionable ones in place of ones we already know are doing well. Makes sense for NBC! Second season of Undateable? I never heard of the first. Looks promising already. One Big Happy? I’m taking a wild guess here…another family comedy, which we already are totally saturated with, and sick of watching on network television. Anything like the Millers?

I’ve said my piece. Sarcasm was totally intended throughout. Just my opinion.

6. Stan Gary says:

When are we getting Parks & Rec????

7. JC says:

They’re going to kill “The Night Shift”. It’s a fantastic summer show but I dont think it will hold up as a reg season drama

8. Ben says:

I love Marry Me. Why would they do that? Even with from what I just read, I’m still going to ask, why would they do that?

9. juniorwho says:

It’s like they’re trying to do everything in their power NOT to have a hit comedy. Marry Me is doing well as of now, but hey, why not just make people forget it even exists and kill all the (minimal, but still existent) buzz it has created?

• Michael Anthony says:

Well said. They have plenty of other shows they could get rid off. Gone are the days of letting s show grow. Marry Me has the ability to grow into a big hit.

10. Verify says:

NBC are disgusting they greenlighting projects from the same people that’s been ripping everyone else off for years.