CBS Studios Intl. has set a deal to export “NCIS: New Orleans” and “CSI: Cyber” to the U.K.’s Channel 5, now owed by the Eye’s corporate cousin, Viacom.
Deal unveiled Tuesday at the Mipcom international TV sales market in Cannes calls for Channel 5 to pick up the Crescent City rendition of “NCIS” as well as the mothership “NCIS” series, which ranks as the most-watched drama series in the world. The latest “CSI” spinoff, toplined by Patricia Arquette, is also part of the package.
“ ‘CSI’ and ‘NCIS’ are record-breaking franchises, it’s great to be bringing the next instalments of both shows to Channel 5,” said Channel 5 acquisitions chief Katie Keenan.
In another busy day of dealmaking at the Mipcom market Tuesday, FremantleMedia unveiled an expansive deal with Arab media conglom MBC for format rights to “The X Factor” and “Project Runway.” Deal includes three-season renewals for MBC’s format rights to “American Idol” and “Arab’s Got Talent” formats.
Ali Jaber, MBC Group TV director said, “MBC is always keen on delivering premium content coupled with the best TV productions in the MENA region. With the introduction of global formats, such as ‘Idol’ and ‘Got Talent,’ amongst others, a couple of years ago, they soon became top-rated TV shows and have created unprecedented engagement with the audiences on multi-platforms.”
Among other programming announcements Tuesday:
- Viacom Intl. Media Networks set format production pact for dating show “Are You the One?” with Denmark’s Strix Television and Tresor Television in Germany. Endemol Italy has nabbed Viacom’s puppet series “Felt.”
- France’s Canal Plus has commissioned eight episodes of drama series “ZeroZeroZero” from Italy’s Cattleya. Drug lord drama based on the Robert Saviano’s recent book of the same name will be lensed in English.
- A+E Networks Latin America has sold a slew of Lifetime movies to outlets across Europe, including RTL Belgium, Vox Germany, Italy’s RAI 2, TV2 Norway, Nitro and Neox Spain, Romania’s Euforia Lifestyle TV and Turkey’s Digiturk.
- Sony Pictures Television Networks Latin America has grabbed CBS’ frosh drama “Scorpion” and “CSI: Cyber” for its AXN platform.
- ITV Studios Finland has found its way to a deal for Red Arrow Intl.’s reality format “Lost in Love.”