Matthew McConaughey Won’t do a ‘True Detective’ Season 2

Matthew McConaughey
Steve Granitz/WireImage

Oscar winner Matthew McConaughey has made it official – he will not be returning to ‘True Detective” for a second season.

When asked about his potential season two return to the hit HBO show at a backstage  Academy Awards interview session, McConaughey announced, “No, I won’t be back for season two. Season one was finite.”

Because the award show ran longer than anticipated, McConaughey joked that Sunday night’s episode had already begun, but don’t worry – he managed to avoid doling out any spoilers.

“It’s probably airing right now. Has anyone seen it? I made the thing … and I’m not sure what happens.”

And as for the recent McConassaince, the best actor winner had no idea what it meant, but thought it had a nice ring to it.

“Somebody said it at Sundance. I was like, ‘I don’t know what was but it sounds good,'” he said.

1. Sue Saxe says:

I totally agree. Will not be the same without the 2 actors that made it a hit

2. Pissed Viewer says:

Why Matthew McConaughey wont be in 2 season???He is the basic stone of true detective!Why these irrogant fucks must always ruin everything?Some Colin Ferrel and shit.I dont take it!Season 1 was original and intence thanks the 2 actors who just nailed it.Im sick of this why they allways want to be a smart ass?True detective wont be same without McConaughey…Now second season will be clasical american shit with actors who are always same……Shame on you directors you just fuck up another verry good TV serries….I am sick of you

3. Ben Sheeks says:

OGMoMGoMGESH!!1!!!! Are you serious??!?!? So when they said at the start of this series it was a new plot and new cast each season….. Variety is full of gems.

4. Guy fawkes says:

How is this news? we’ve known this from the start- stop being so f__king stupid

5. DC says:

Am I the only one that thinks this is a good thing? Don’t get me wrong, Woody and McConaughey are fantastic in the show — but from the beginning the show was always supposed to be serialized. Which I personally think is cool because this way they can get big name actors that otherwise don’t do television series. A-list actors don’t do television series (with a few exceptions; see Kevin Spacey) because they don’t want to be tied down to a long contract / TV show — so if it’s understood that it’s only for 8 episodes then I think more of them will be willing to bite.

It could also help that there’s only one director throughout each season, so it’s less like television and more like film.

True Detective is a fantastic show and I like what they’re doing.

• Bridget says:

I agree with you. I’m also surprised that people are…surprised about this. Ha. From the beginning both actors said they weren’t returning for the next season so I don’t know why everyone is making such a big deal about it. I’m excited to see the next pair of actors and what kind of case they will be following in the next season. I think it will keep the show fresh.

6. Saying that he would return in Season 2, would be a sort of SPOILER

I woudn’t necessarily believe Matthews off the cuff remark. Could be a head fake to make us think something about the finale.

7. Julienne says:

WHAT?! We love that show! It’s one of the most intriguing Series ever made. It’s got compelling mystery and a great angle of history.

8. Kind of a wasted interview question. The series is serialized. Each season is a singular story. We knew this from episode 1.

9. Bronson says:

Never know. Could both die so they can’t come back. I’d like to see more of Michelle Monaghan though.

10. On to better projects…good! Congrats on last night’s gracious acceptance. Exuded Southern Gentleman(ness). Thank you, sir.

11. Chris says:

Season II Damian Lewis and Bryan Cranston!

12. Dick says:

I’m very upset. Why actors do a series get people hooked and then leave after one season.
    The series will never be the same. Thanks Mathew for nothing! True Detective turned to True Flop!

13. Fred says:

I don’t think anyone thought he would be back. They’ve said that each new season would start a new story. Don’t expect Woody to be back, either.

14. tONY says:

awesome. they should do others actors. sounds great!

15. Nancy Elizabeth Keiler says:

They were never coming back. I read articles where the producers explained that they were starting off with Harrelson and McConaughey and would continue the next season with two other actors, could be a male/female team, a female team or another guy team. If you knew from the beginning, and they did say it, then you’d just be curious about who can top these two. It’s quite an experiment. Just enjoy.

16. PTY says:

Well, that just sucks. Right as McConaughey and Harrelson are developing chemistry and doing some of their absolute best work – they aren’t coming back?

Seriously – there needs to be a push to get these guys back. MM and the other producers don’t know a good thing when they see it.

Whether it was intended to be a one of season or not – the greatness of this show should motivate them to at least do a season 2. Especially given that it is only 8 episodes long.

17. so4delish says:

As far as I understood True Detective was going to be something like American Horror Story.How each season is a different scenario like on American Horror Story you dealt with ghosts & death & being haunted & then in season 2 you had the whole mental institution / hospital with the experimental scientist who worked on patience and other things and then this past season with the witches and the coven. You know I have no idea what they’re going to do next.
    But I feel like a true detective can take new detectives / officers two different regions of the United States do you work on like a cold case that you know something emulates from it 20 years later so they have to backtrack like they do in the shower but its a different state and a different kind of horrific detail. Or I could stay where they are maybe the two African American police officers who are you grilling Rust & Marty….after this case is finally solved they come across something that blows and mine and they’re trying to figure it out and they’re getting a lot of slack and flak from their job just like rust and Marty and they have to kind of take it into their own hands. It could continue partially with Marty and his children since Audry is. pretty much a screw up. you know maybe rust and Marty well finally get the recognition they deserve for this case even though it took a long time and they had to kinda take alternative routes because yes years ago you could take evidence of a storage room drugs, money, and there were no video cameras and stuff to watch your every move but as of the last I would say 14 year was they have all that stuff in place and you also have to like type a pin number in or run your card just to get in so they pretty know who came in who came out and around the time things are missing. I don’t know if they’re going to keep going on with cold cases that you’re with Cults and torture murder. but I don’t have a lot of time for television and some shows if I miss them and I can get them on demand I watch them however this is one of the shows I have to religiously watch and I can’t wait like for the next day so I will stay up to watch it if I missed the first showing. And I just think that so many storylines and ideas can come from this storm season and if Matthew McConaughey doesn’t want to come back that’s totally up to him you can still work on your season 2 if you had him in there you just take him out and maybe have him be killed off or not just in case he wants to come back but he goes you know into isolation. I think it’s one of the better shows on the paycheck that they offer lately.

• You are so right—-I don’t watch much tv—just got over House being cancelled—–now this. I may give up tv all together. Please Woody and Matthew think twice before you give this up. It is soooooo good.

18. Habbit says:

It was always supposed to be an anthology series, there was never any prospect of the cast returning, it’ll be a completely different story probably set in a different location and time.