Idris Elba to Make ‘Luther’ Return in 2015

“Luther” (BBC America) Emmys Writing and

A day after Fox touted the development of a U.S. adaptation of British crime series “Luther,” BBC America has announced that the original iteration of the drama will return for a two-part miniseries in 2015.

Starring Idris Elba as DCI John Luther, the murder detective whose brilliant mind can’t always save him from the dangerous violence of his passions, the new series is written by creator Neil Cross. “Luther” hails from BBC Drama Production and the new series will be co-produced with BBC America. Elizabeth Kilgarriff will oversee for BBC Drama.

In a statement on the BBC revival, Cross said, “Ever since we said goodbye to John Luther on Southwark Bridge, there’s hardly been a minute when I didn’t wonder what happened next. So I decided to find out. We’re putting the band back together; Luther is coming back where he belongs. Back to the BBC. Back to London. And back to work.”

The two hourlong episodes will film in and around London in March, and the show is slated for a late 2015 premiere.

The U.S. adaptation has received a put pilot commitment from Fox. Elba is attached to executive produce alongside Cross but is not currently expected to star.

1. Idris Elba IS Luther. The Brits are so much better when it comes to real acting…having someone else play Luther, especially an American actor, would itself be a crime. Ruth Wilson is the perfect psychopath BTW and it takes both Alice and Luther to make a whole person. My favorite show. Hope the plan to adapt Luther goes by the wayside.

2. Stehanie Moyer says:

I live in America and I have become sooooooo attached to the “Luther” series. I take my lunch knowing that I will watch the continuing saga so imagine my surprise at finding out that the series is over at the bridge scene. Please, please bring it back to us star-struck fans. Don’t let it end. Awesome show !!!!

3. Martin Rayner says:

This is what makes the BBC Great

4. Mikal Muhammad says:

I saw this program for rhe first time on 01/08/16 and I loved it. I want to get it on dvd. It’s excellent.

5. Linda Hupsch says:

I love John Luther and Idris Elba. I hope we get more Luther in 2016

6. judyju says:

YES Finally….Great series, Hope it gets picked up for a “new” series. Great stories, acting and suspense! btw…LOVE Idris Alba!!!

7. Clarence Powell says:

Good news Idris Alba perfect for the Luther role can’t wait to see him back.

8. Rica Jones says:

Love Edris Alba in this series Luther and cant wait for it to come back again. Live it. Im so excited. Thc u Idrs Alba. When does it air??? Rica

9. Brenda says:

Yay! We are all so excited here at work. He’s lovely!

10. David Lavine says:

Can’t wait! Loved the series.

11. dougdenslowe says:

When exactly can we,in America,expect to watch this……?A date PLEASE………..

12. say what says:

I look forward to seeing Idris Elba return as John Luther. I know I am in the minority when I say, please do not bring back Alice. That actress makes me crazy. Her lips make me want to turn off the episode. Maybe if Alice was played by someone else. Also, I was so glad to see the character of his wife go away. She must never have had time to practice law because she was too busy vacillating between two men and making both of them miserable while feeling sorry for herself. And could we just slap Jenny’s mother, please?Thank goodness for Netflix and binge weekends!

13. Matt says:

Luther is one of my favourite shows, and nobody could play the part as well as
    Idris Alba. The combination of emotional intensity by a man who is on the edge while being provoked from all sides, at the same time trying to solve violent murders. This creates a psychological thriller that you don’t want to miss and leaves you wondering what’s going to happen next. I cant wait for series 4.
    Please don’t let the Americans change it in anyway.

14. C.Underhill says:

Idris Alba is GENIUS in his craft.I see and collect everything he acts in even it’s just a bit part.Mr.Alba is FANTASTIC. !!!!!!!!!

• cdhaskell says:

I don’t blame MR. Idris Alba for wanted to become first black James Bond. It would like he would be a series of famous actor before him. He would become a Jeopardy clue for either he being the greatest or worst James Bond. He should get his own name. We both known that James Bond isn’t the only agent that being employed by Great Britain.

15. Christiine Walden says:

Bring it on!!! Not only intrigueing story lines but the enjoyment of watching Idris Elba. What more could a tired 65 year old female wish for???????????????

16. dougdenslowe says:

This is one of the best cop shows ever.Problem………BBC doesn’t film enough episodes!Although I can’t imagine it being filmed anywhere else,I just wish it would be filmed more often!

17. Emmie says:

Please, please, please, please bring back Alice. The show would not be the same without Alice. Luther and Alice belong together.

18. Angela says:

So glad to hear that Luther is coming back.

19. cdhaskell says:

Instead of making Idris Elba the first James Bond,how about bring Luther into the big screen?

20. Kristina Primoff says:

Omg..I heard of this show at my physical therapy appt on Fri… I came home and in less than 2 days have watched all 3 seasons. So good, it is probably one of the best pyschological thrillers this decade. And I love Ruth Wilson, she also makes the show. Acting is superb but best yet is that there is always a puzzle you think how will he solve this? Geit back on quicker than late 2015!!!!!! I can’t wait!

21. Irene Clark says:

Idris Elba has to come back as Luther. He makes the show and I can’t imagine someone else portraying Luther. I was glad to see that Luther is coming back. It is a great show.

22. Naomi says:

OMG, I can not wait for Luther to return. I finally saw all the episodes on Netflixx and it is the BEST COP SHOW EVER. I am the biggest fan! I hope they keep it going. I absolutely love John and Alice together.

23. Barbara J says:

Hello my name is Barbara and I really enjoy “Luther” series. Please keep it with the BBC and keep Idris Elba as John Luther. No one will be able to replace him for this part. The show has mystery and suspends and it keeps you watching. Bring back many more seasons.

• cdhaskell says:

I must agree with Barbara J. that Idris Elba is perfect for the role of John Luther and John Luther appear in the big screen film starring Idris Elba. I still don’t blame for Idris Elba don’t wanted to become the new James Bond. We both know that 007 isn’t the only agent that hired to saved England from danger. He should get a new code name. I read somewhere that the Bond writer must come up with new material since they run out of the old Fleming book to developed storyline. I remember reading some of the book from the Brooklyn Library and the movie was force to updated the material because the book was write during the cold war in the early 50.

24. Marilyn says:

This was such a great show! So glad it’s coming back! :-)

25. Sheila Garland says:

This is the best news ever please let Ruth Wilson return as Alice Morgan they are fantastic together!

26. Annette Johnson says:

My wish has been granted I’ve been going through a Luther withdrawal

27. I’m so excited I can hardly stand it. The Fox news distressed me. I don’t want to see anyone else as Luther and Alice except Idris Elba and Ruth Wilson.

28. Mike says:

Anybody know if Ruth Wilson will be back as Alice Morgan?

29. mswiles615 says:

I really would like to see LUTHER return will more episodes…..

30. dee says:

I am very happy to hear if the return of Idris as Luther. He has to star in this show because without him theirs no show.

31. Michael says:

I am very that Luther is returning with the original cast !!

32. Brandon Bell says:

Harriet, Luther can be both on BBC America. It is brilliant.

33. harriet andrade says:

Can we see the British episodes on Channel Thirteen? I want to get acquainted with Idris, who is so handsome and riveting, and enjoy his work and British accent.

34. Cathy Bauer says:

hurry up and give us some more Luther! I am 82 and can’t wait much longer. H

35. Does Elba NOT want to star in Fox series? It will not be the same LUTHER obviously if he does not star in it…..

36. I am glad that Luther will return next year.

37. therealeverton says:

NIce!

38. TONY says:

YES, YES, YES!
    LUTHER IS BACK! The best crime drama ever! Kuddos to BBC!!!!